The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 13, 2001, 12:35 PM   #1
dZ

Ching Ring Scout Scope Mount

http://www.beast-enterprises.com/chingring.html
Quote:
The Ching Ring, for the first time, provides a simple and cost-effective method of forward
mounting an Intermediate Eye Relief telescope on a scout concept rifle. In the recent past, this
could only be accomplished by commissioning expensive barrels with pedestal mounts machined in,
or by having special mounts custom made. While both methods produced the desired result,
the time and cost associated with these methods left something to be desired.
The Ching Ring as now manufactured by BEAST Enterprises is a "broad range" product
designed to be adaptable to a large array of rifles with the minimum hassle. The "stock"
Ching Ring can handle barrel diameters from approximately .950" (slightly smaller with the
use of shims) to approximately 1.10." The chamber area must be cylindrical in section.
The Ching Ring can be attached to the firearm via low temperature silver solder or
various glues. BEAST Enterprises routinely uses JB Weld as the number one selection and
Acra-Glass (with powdered steel) as the second option. I have now installed over two-dozen
Ching Rings on various rifles, the majority have been glued, and to date, there has been no
single failure of the joint. In one experiment, I put a glued mount/barrel into the hydraulic
press with the ram pressing the tip of the cantilevered arm. As predicted by a metallurgist
of my acquaintance, the arm failed before the glue showed any sign of tiring.
Hey Rich...
What ever happened with that CZ scout rifle?

dZ
Old July 13, 2001, 08:29 PM   #2
Karsten

That is a very good idea, indeed.
I will just say this about JB Weld........Don't use it if you don't want it perment don't use it. I fill Selector cut outs on M14 Fiber glass stocks with it and it a B.... to sand with a power sander.

Karsten
Old July 13, 2001, 09:39 PM   #3
ronin308

I wish a new about this last week before I just bought my new setup!!! C'est la vie
Old June 5, 2002, 10:29 AM   #4
Futo Inu

Update June 2002

The B-Square mount that I put on my swede, which mounts on the existing rear sight leaf, will not - NOT - hold a zero, due to the leaf's "lifting up and re-settling" with each shot, apparently. You can easily lift the rear a little with your hand, even if the screw is tight that is supposed to prevent this. After bore-sighting and 1 shot, I was not even on paper at 50 yards (big target, too). So these are worthless, IMO - terribly disappointed, as the mount was about $75. So, should I try the ching ring, or go back to iron sights, or drill and tap for a mount over the action - std ER scope? Tempted to try the ching ring, as I already have purchased the EER scope, but I could save it for use on another rifle. The ching ring thing should be quite solid, if installed properly. I would not have sporterized this swede, but for its lack of matching parts. Or any other suggestions?
Old June 6, 2002, 08:04 PM   #5
ronin308

Despite the fact that I can't spell or type properly in my above post I'll offer my opinion. If you plan on fully sporterizing the rifle I would go for a Ching Ring, just make sure that your rifle's barrel has a suitable place/thickness to mount the Ching Ring. I would think hard about sending the rifle to Beast Enterprises to have the work done. It will probably be worth the wait. If you were going to keep the full length stock and all that I'd just put the irons back on and save the IER for another project.
Old June 8, 2002, 12:14 AM   #6

Related note: I sent BEAST enterprises two handguns for custom work in February of 2001. I have not seen them again. I have called Geoff perhaps a dozen times and he was nothing but rude. Do business with BEAST at your own risk; You have been warned.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old June 8, 2002, 01:46 PM   #7
DW Altom

I've a scout built on an Ishapore .308. It's a great gun, 10-round box w/stripper clip feed, Williams aperture sight, and a scope mounted on an Ashley scout mount, which is based on the Ching Ring.

Check it out on: http://www.scoutman308.com/

I've also a Remington 600 Scout with the Burris scout mount. The Burris is a lame design; besides being fragile (it attaches to the top of the barrel via screws), you cannot remove and replace the scope to zero. No way, no how!

Robby's going to replace the Burris with an Ashley for me, and then the Remington 600 will be my baby. Light, fast and accurate. No stripper clip feed, but who cares? It's a 600!!!

Go with the Ashley/Ching! There's no comparison. The Ashely/Ching is so simple, so robust, it could have been MILSPEC in another day and age.

Good luck!
Old June 8, 2002, 03:07 PM   #8
G3

I've heard that Scout Scopes do not perform very well in low light. Has this been anyone's experience?

I'll have to second 444's caveat about Beast Enterprises.