The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 18, 2017, 10:31 PM   #1
pgb205

AK upper handguard latch, difficult to move

Got my new ak47 and have no issue with it other than the latch that mates upper handguard to the rifle. I literally have to either use mallet+punch or use pliers to move it up or down. I used some lubricant to maybe help things along but that didn't help much. I'm wondering if this is normal. Doesn't seem so.

One person on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq8a7jfvZrA
suggestes to you bolt carrier's notch as a lever, but his instructions arent clear.

PS: also found several videos on how to use ak cleaning tool, but my budget ak didnt come with one.

Last edited by pgb205; July 18, 2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old July 18, 2017, 11:39 PM   #2
Venom1956

its normal dont worry about it it will loosen over time.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 19, 2017, 12:41 AM   #3
MagnumWill

I use a screwdriver like a small pry bar to disengage mine and get the top tube off.

Normal.
Old July 19, 2017, 05:13 AM   #4
R_P_K_

You can rotate it up and bend it slightly outward to fix it. If you have an all cleaning kit the capsule has a groove built in to help move the lever.
Old July 19, 2017, 07:24 AM   #5
Mobuck

You really don't need to move that lever very often. Apply a wee bit of grease and leave it alone IMHO. In 5-10 years it'll be loose and floppy anyway.
Old July 19, 2017, 11:00 AM   #6
pgb205

the lever rotates just fine when the gas tube is off. I don't think it's a problem with the lever itself. The part where latch meets up with the gas tube is where things are too tight i think.
Old July 19, 2017, 01:57 PM   #7
Venom1956

No it's fine. It's tight when the tube it's in ecause it uses the clamping pressure to hold it in place. Just trust us. it's normal. Don't do anything to loosen it up don't want your gas tube rattling every shot.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 19, 2017, 03:08 PM   #8
amd6547

An AK cleaning kit is cheap, and does it all. Buy one.
Old July 19, 2017, 06:42 PM   #9
HistoryJunky

A 7.62x39 bullet tip will work too.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old July 19, 2017, 07:50 PM   #10
stagpanther

On my PSAK (which theoretically has the same setup) I find that I sometimes have to move the lever a bit to find precisely the right angle that allows the gas tube to release (and reattach) since it's essentially retained by a ledge formed by the lever.
Old July 19, 2017, 07:56 PM   #11
Dfariswheel

amd6547 had the correct answer.

The AK cleaning kit tube has a slot in the side specifically to use as an assist on the handguard lever.
Old September 28, 2017, 01:40 PM   #12
DMK

Quote:
One person on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq8a7jfvZrA
suggestes to you bolt carrier's notch as a lever, but his instructions arent clear.
I realize this is an old thread, but this may help someone searching if not the OP.

Rob Ski demonstrates how to use the rail slot of bolt carrier to unlatch the gas tube / top handguard starting at 0:35 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H3IlpQnlxg
Old September 28, 2017, 02:37 PM   #13
Fishbed77

It's perfectly normal. Don't try to bend it as others have mentioned here. This is bad advice and may loosen or weaken the lever.

You can use the slot in the cleaning kit capsule or even the rail groove in the bolt carrier as a tool to gain more leverage to move the lever.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:26 PM   #14
Ignition Override

A Gentle grip using pliars will move it. Maybe a little bit of CLP oil might help reduce friction where it holds the gas tube in place.

Try to Avoid pulling out, just move it upwards.

Once it is clear of the gas tube and you are finished with whatever, you might need to push firmly downwards (with many AKs) on the gas tube, to allow the lever to clear the upper, front edge of the gas tube.

Experiment with the lever's (latch's) angle, similar to that on an SKS.