The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2008, 02:33 PM   #26
Vergeltung

I am a total novice, but I when I was looking for someting akin to the original poster's requirements/interests, I settled on the Mossberg 590 SP, w/the heat shield and the 20" barrel. It's an 8+1 ammo capacity.

I have been at the range with it as much as possible, and am gaining in proficiancy each week. it was $405 from Impact Guns, so it would fit his budget as well.
Old November 17, 2008, 03:54 PM   #27
zippy13

Vergeltung

I hate to rain on your parade, but...

Unfortunately, your 590 lacks the flexibility of a standard 500. If you're shooting a lot clays with yours, you'll soon want a target barrel with a vent rib and center bead. If a heat shielded barrel was the best way to hit targets, don't you think every target shooter would have one? Check the recent archives, others have wanted to do the same thing only to find that it can't be done without modifying your gun. By selecting a high capacity Mossberg, you've shut the door to flexibility. Had you purchased a similar Remington, your additional magazine length would come from a removable extension, not a longer magazine and specially altered barrel. Mossberg offers more spare barrels for Remington's 870 than they do for their own 590.

In the future, your target shooting improvement will come to an abrupt halt. As a new shooter, you're still within the envelope of the 590's target capabilities. Soon you'll have pushed the envelope and will need a different gun to progress. With a standard 500 or a 870, getting a target barrel and stock isn't a big problem. And, you can change back to HD configuration when you return home. But, with your 590, you're stuck.

This is why so many have recommended a Remington 870 for Smoke Screen's needs. He can change the stocks, barrel and capacity without modifying the original gun.
Old November 17, 2008, 04:05 PM   #28
ilbob

870 with a slug barrel, and a longer barrel for bird hunting.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old November 18, 2008, 09:16 AM   #29
Vergeltung

@Zippy: I'll take your word for it, as you certainly have more experience than I. I could see shooting clays maybe once a year if that. I purchased it for some fun at the range and some home defense. that's about it.

I am in somewhat of an suburban/urban location, and there are not alot of opportunities to shoot skeet. there are a nice amount of ranges, but well over 75% of them are indoor.

So, for the moment, immersed in my "newness", I will just be shooting slugs and some buck shot at the range, in the 50-100 yeard range increments. I appreciate your information and comments.

also, my parade proceeds rain or shine. that's how I roll.
Old November 18, 2008, 09:45 AM   #30
rantingredneck

Quote:
870, set up with a 21" turkey barrel. Short enough for HD, long enough for waterfowl, though blast will be severe.

And the only true triple I ever did on quail was with a riot barreled 870. It will make you rethink the term, "Quail Gun".

An IC and a Modified tube will do for most hunting. I'm not the biggest fan of mag extensions, but a two or three shot extension will tuck neatly under that barrel if you want one.

Add sling studs and ammo, you're ready to go.
^ Indeed.........

Of the 3 870's currently residing at my house, all have 20" barrels on them most of the time.

The deer/Primary HD is an express that has a 20" Rifle sight Remchoke barrel. I keep the IC choke in when it's at home and throw the rifled in when I hit the woods. If we man-drive I switch out to the Mod choke for buckshot. When I head for the woods for gobblers I toss a turkey choke in it.

The wife's HD grab and go is a wingmaster with a 20" bead sight. The truck gun is an express with a 20" Rifle sight IC barrel. Short and handy they are.

Each has a corresponding 28" barrel for birds and such though.

If I were settling on a one barrel budget the 21" VR Remchoke barrel is a very capable compromise.

What was that you said the other day Dave about 870's coming apart like Lego's? Truer words were never spoken my friend........
Old November 18, 2008, 10:33 AM   #31
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

RRN, thanks.

870s are the Swiss Army Knives of Shotguns.

Of the five here, three have different stocks and/or forearms than when they came under my custody.

With 870s lasting far longer than we do, we are custodians more than owners.

Three also at present wear different barrels. One has the original bolt and carrier from another. Both Serious 870s have been Flextabbed, which is where that B&C came from.

In recent memory, Frankenstein has worn barrels ranging from 21 to 30", in both fixed and tubed chokes. The TG is probably not original to that receiver, nor the action bars. I may swap the forearms on Number Six and Frank just to see is a little more weight up front on Frank counteracts the whippyness of the 26" LC barrel. Number Six wears the 30" barrel and it could be a little faster on crosser doves and targets.

If even a ten thumbed technodunce like me can take them apart, it's a user friendly design.
Old November 18, 2008, 11:19 AM   #32
rantingredneck

Before the Mossberg fans drag us out and have us drawn and quartered..........

I also have two Mossbergs, a 500 and 835, that have given excellent service.

I don't use the 835 that much anymore as I'm not as immune to the 3 1/2" magnum recoil as I once was. I have 24 and 28" barrels for it. Many a deer and gobbler have felt it's wrath. I've never been a waterfowler though. It now serves as a loaner gun for the nephews. Their teenage and early 20's shoulders and backs are sturdier than mine........ My 18 year old nephew in particular is fond of this one and has killed 3 or 4 deer with it in the past 3 years.

The current 500 was one I traded into last year, though I have owned a couple more in years past. I have 3 barrels for it: 18.5" accuchoke LE barrel (limited run), 24" RS smoothbore slug, 28" accuchoke. It does backup HD duty with the 18.5" barrel. I also used that short choked barrel to deer hunt last year after my accident. It was lighter to hump around the woods when I was still in the dreaded back brace. Took a small deer with it, with managed recoil buckshot, 11 weeks after my injury. Same gun wearing the 28" barrel, with 3" buckshot, was responsible for my 15 year old nephew's first deer this past Saturday. A fairly nice 8 pointer that's posted in another thread here.

Even though I prefer my 870's, I have an appreciation for O.F. Mossberg's fine products......

Last edited by rantingredneck; November 18, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old November 18, 2008, 11:24 AM   #33
zippy13

Vergeltung
Quote:
I am in somewhat of an suburban/urban location, and there are not alot of opportunities to shoot skeet. there are a nice amount of ranges, but well over 75% of them are indoor.

So, for the moment, immersed in my "newness", I will just be shooting slugs and some buck shot at the range, in the 50-100 yeard range increments. I appreciate your information and comments.
Oops.... I must confess, I'd jumped to an erroneous conclusion, and thought you were already shooting flying targets. What you're doing now is ideally suited to your new gun. Please, don't let me discourage your live fire exercises. It's wise to become well acquainted with a new gun and to keep the knowledge gained frequently refreshed.
Some time age, one of my business partners felt the need for a HD shotgun, and got a Mossy 500 combo. I met him at the T & S club for his initial firing. He's a natural athlete with some previous Skeet experience (w/ borrowed guns). After a few hours, he was quite comfortable with his new gun, and was shooting respectable novice scores. Several years later, I asked if he'd taken any refresher trips to the gun club with his 500. He sheepishly admitted that he had not, and the gun had become quite corroded in the closet of his beach home.
Vergeltung, after the "newness" has waned, I hope you'll stay immersed in your shotgunning.
Roll on....
Old November 18, 2008, 12:52 PM   #34
Vergeltung

thanks brother man!

I really want to familiarize myself with it, by virtue of many rounds shot at the range. perhaps, when I am at the in-laws for Christmas this year, I can wander off into the wilderness of upstate NY, and get in some "field shooting".

I sincerely appreciate all the feedback and responses, as you guys are no-nonsense enthusiasts around here. a quick look around showed me that.

Love it!
Old November 18, 2008, 10:16 PM   #35
Hellbent11

So easy IMHO answer would be a "combo" 870 from wal-mart, or just an 870 express. There seem to be a great deal of accessories and upgrades AND the price is right.

Just my .02$ Hellbent
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Old November 18, 2008, 11:12 PM   #36
USA123456789

Go with Mossberg 500.My dad has had his for 15 years now and it has 300,000 miles on it. He hasn't traveled anywhere without it. Great gun. You can get a combo for about $250 with the rifled slug barrel and shot shell barrel.

USA USA USA USA
Old November 19, 2008, 02:46 AM   #37
Smoke Screen

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm currently spending my evenings online looking for combos of each the 870 & the 500 in "combo" formation. I appreciate all of the experience that has come to bear with my little question.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:20 AM   #38
rantingredneck

If you want a little more versatility than the combo packages offer you can do this:

Buy basic 870 express from Walmart with 28" Remchoke barrel (277.00) (I know cuz I bought another one last week).

Buy 20" Rifle Sighted Remchoke barrel online (around 175 including shipping).

That puts you right at your 450.00 budget and gives you two barrels with 3 chokes. The 28" will come with a Mod tube, the 20" will come with a rifled tube and Improved cylinder. With those you are set for deer and small game hunting and birds. If you take up turkey hunting later buy a turkey choke and you are set to go.

The combo guns are not going to offer the flexibility of interchangeable chokes in the shorter barrel. It will likely be either rifled for deer or an 18" bead sight CYL barrel for HD.

Then you can add accessories as you familiarize yourself with the gun. Sling and sling studs, mag extension if you so choose (I go back and forth on that one, right now none wear an extension), different stocks maybe......

But the most important accessory will be ammo and targets. .
Old November 19, 2008, 08:22 AM   #39
DataMax

Just a couple of points for your consideration ...

1) Be patient and keep looking you will be surprised at what you might find. Recently while at a small town gun show I found a NIB Beretta 390 12ga 24" for $450. Needless to say ... the shotgun is now in my safe. Point being, they can be found ... it just takes time.

2) Some people make a big deal about sight plane, and rightly so, it is an important factor. But consider this ... a typical Over/Under breaks right in front of the trigger housing. A 28" barrel on a OU gives you about a 29 to 30" sight radius. An auto loader with a 24" barrel and a 6" long receiver gives you virtually the same 29 to 30" sight radius as the 28" OU.

Anyway ... that is my 2 cents.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:24 PM   #40
BigJimP

DataMax

your points are well taken on being patient and finding a good used gun / there are lots of good deals out there. I saved almost $ 600 buying a used Benelli super sport 12ga last week in a hard case / virtually unfired / vs a new one.

But your overall dimensions on O/U's vs single barrel semi's or pumps as a comparison are off a little an O/U with a 28" barrel has the same overall length as an O/U with 30" barrels. There is about a 2" difference in the receiver portion of an O/U vs a pump or semi-auto.
Old November 20, 2008, 01:13 AM   #41
Smoke Screen

Hmmm...Rantingredneck, that's a great option as well. There are a TON of turkeys out here and I have been wanting to turkey hunt for a while too....