The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2004, 12:06 AM   #1
blingbling

Looking at buying a steven's 311a

So this is my first post here and I need some help. I'm looking at buying a used stevens model 311a but my problem is that I don't know much about this gun other than its a double and in my price range. I'm asking the seller to send pictures of the gun. Is there anything I should look for in the gun or steer clear of? I want a shotgun and this cheap double fits the bill if it works out.

Thanks

Kyle
Old May 27, 2004, 12:31 AM   #2
HSMITH

Welcome Kyle.

That is a quality shotgun. Prices run from somewhere around 150 bucks for one in roughish shape to about $375-400 for one in like new condition. Nothing to look out for other than condition really, they are solid and durable shotguns.
Old May 27, 2004, 10:01 AM   #3
Throckmorton

Has it been used for cowboy shooting,and has it been shortened to 'coach gun' length?
The Stevens' are 'spring loaded' when opened up and if bobbed they will fight ya on getting the shells in.If the barrels are standard length it's not much of a problem.Some Pards try to modify the innards after they bob the barrels and reliabiltiy issues can surface.
Otherwise they are a very solid servicable shotgun.The weak point on sxs is the 'wrist' or tang area.Ask if there are any signs of splits
If it has not been subjected to abusive 'smithing it will function well and last almost forever.

BTW,welcome to the board,from another new member!!

Last edited by Throckmorton; May 27, 2004 at 10:04 AM. Reason: adding a note of welcome
Old May 27, 2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome aboard.

311s are workingman's doubles, unfancy but tough and reliable. Like many other doubles, they sometimes suffer from convergence probs, where the barrels do not shoot to the same place.

Some input I've gotten indicates occasional firing pin issues like sticking and breaks. Parts are available and should be for decades.

As with all old doubles, a ring test is a darn good idea. As with all old shotguns, a checkout by a decent smith is cheap insurance.

The Ring Test....

Dismount the barrels from the forend and receiver and hang from a finger so they're vertical. Lightly tap the metal with a pencil or similar. If a clear tone is heard, you're OK. A dull thud or buzzing means the thing is coming apart and more expensive to fix than buy another used 311.

HTH....
Old May 30, 2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Mannlicher

I picked up a used 16 ga 311 years ago. The barrels were cut to 19 inches, when I got it. I have used it for HD, and for quail hunting. I have had zero problems with loading, or unloading it, and it throws a pretty nice pattern with #1 Buck and with #7s.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan