The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 15, 2002, 10:27 PM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

Suggestion: "White papers" section

I've noticed a lot of "how to" things get endlessly reposted as the threads that contain them get buried in newer threads.

WHat about having a "white papers section" where "how to" things, ongoing research projects and whatnot get posted?

another forum that i browse occasionally (because of my involvement with FIRST) has a similar setup, and i think it would work well here:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/papers.php?s=
Old November 16, 2002, 07:04 AM   #2
yankytrash

Newbies will always repost a recurring problem to the "ol' timers", no matter if you have the answer posted on home page or right at the forum title bar. People just miss things sometimes (our search feature is a prime example). That's what makes'm newbies.

Remember though, that the forums here have to be new and exciting for everyone, even if that bores the ol' timers. Questions get asked over and over and over, and that's just how it all has to work. Think Art got the mod job because he's so easy-goin? Naa, it's because he can hear the "AR vs Mini-14" story 'til his ears bleed without a wimper.

When the ol' timers get sick of the rifle and pistol questions, they either move on, or go to the Conference Center section to solve the world's problems. I go down there and make an ass out of myself on occasion. I even see Art swing by now and then. Can't eat apples all the time I guess. Without oranges, you'd get scurvy.

When you end up answering all the questions, or you constantly turn down newbies with a poo-poo response of, "look in the white pages", TFL will be dead.

Hope that answered your question, and I hope that the next guy with that common question will try the "search" feature.