The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2019, 11:50 AM   #26
claydoctor

I have over twenty 1911's but no Kimbers, so I have no personal experience but I have always wondered how much of the $1000, give or take a couple of hundred, price tag goes to quality control and how much goes into those full page ads.
Old March 12, 2019, 03:04 PM   #27
railroader

I have two kimbers. One is an original Clackamas custom in 45 acp, the other is a recent two tone custom in 9mm. Both run great and have good triggers so I have no complaints. One thing there are deals out there if you look. I got my 9mm kimber in the last year for $629 shipped at Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo. They have kimbers on sale a lot. They have the same two tone guns right now in 45 and 9mm for $629. Great price for a nice gun.
https://www.smga.com/kimber/custom-i...-9mm-2017-1342
Old March 12, 2019, 03:55 PM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

I have the 10mm stainless target Long Slide model. It shoots great, and is reliable. The only hiccups it had traced back to ammo that also made 2 Glocks choke. It feeds, and fires my reloads with gusto, and has not failed. It even feeds, and fires factory .40 S&W ammo reliably.
Old March 12, 2019, 04:21 PM   #29
Crankylove

I like mine. But, it is an older one, manufactured Sept ‘97, so I can’t really comment on the newer guns.

Only issue I’ve had/have is somewhat erratic ejection. My Hipower will make a nice pile of brass at about 4 o’clock, about 3 feet away. The Kimber, it throws them anywhere from 1 o’clock to 6 o’clock, usually 10-15 away. Nothing a little tuning of the extractor/ejector wouldn’t fix, but it’s shoots well as is, so I’ve never touched it.
Old March 12, 2019, 11:10 PM   #30
FLJim

Quote:
Charlie_98 wrote:
... Everyone's experience is different because everyone's pistol is different. I mentioned my original 1911 was a Colt... I guess my Colt was what some people experienced with their Kimbers. I don't hate Colt for it, but I don't have that pistol anymore, for sure.
I think I can match that

Never mind Colt. I avoided both 1911s and .45 ACP for the better part of my life as a result of my first exposure to both being an Army 1911. Eventually I grew to like the .45 ACP and, recently, 1911s. Or at least the 1911 I have.

Quote:
Charlie_98 wrote:
if I was in the market for a new 1911 (and I will be later this year...) I'll surely look at a Colt, and probably Springfield, too, even though I had less than stellar experiences with both.
You might consider the Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced. I'm thoroughly pleased with mine.

Quote:
Charlie_98 wrote:
Someone here mentioned Ruger... I have had something like 7 Ruger single-actions... none of them have been worth the metal they were made from.
See, now, I have two Ruger SAs: An old model Single Six Convertible and a new Lipsey's Blackhawk. They're both terrific.
Old March 13, 2019, 02:22 PM   #31
deputy tom

OP, my experience with the two Kimbers was mixed. One had the slide stop/release break in two. The other one was ok. I contacted CS and they sent me a new slide stop/release in the mail within a few days. I sold them both. I've owned dozens of 1911-1911A1s over the years. I've had good and bad experiences with most brands. My favorite brand was Springfield Armory but after shooting a friend's Ruger I knew I had to have one. Otherwise I'd get another Springfield. I ended up with a Ruger SR1911 CMD. What a great pistol and it's a series 70 design. My only other remaining 1911A1 is an RIA FS. Another great gun for the money,in my case. YMMV. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old March 13, 2019, 02:34 PM   #32
WVsig

There are better values for the money. They are not horrible guns just way overpriced for the quality of the parts, fit and performance of the guns. The look nice but so do a lot of others in the same price range.
Old March 13, 2019, 06:44 PM   #33
Nathan

Quote:
Someone here mentioned Ruger... I have had something like 7 Ruger single-actions... none of them have been worth the metal they were made from.
Can you tell us what that means to you? Can be here, in a PM or in another thread...but I need to know more to understand you Kimber comments...
Old March 13, 2019, 07:06 PM   #34
kenny53

I don't care for Kimber, never owed one but my buddies have. They all had a problem with them. Lots of money for a gun that has less then stellar performance IMHO.
Old March 13, 2019, 07:12 PM   #35
joed

I've owned a Kimber Pro Carry II since 2004, it convinced me that 1911's aren't junk. It gets carried often, it's a great shooter and I would buy another in a minute.
Old March 13, 2019, 07:23 PM   #36
krunchnik

I have a few Kimbers all are obedient and do not misbehave-A Springfield EMP4-A Para Expert Carry-and A Ruger SR1911 that all also behave.I would not own Kimbers if they did not work-the price's on their 2 Tone models are right in line with a lot of the other middle of the road 1911's.
Old March 13, 2019, 07:29 PM   #37
Bart Noir

Last year I bought a very-slightly-used Kimber Pro Something. It is a basic fixed sight 1911 and I think I got my money's worth.

But it would not get through a magazine, any magazine, without locking open when NOT empty. Yes, I know, you are all blaming my support hand thumb. Not the problem. I was careful.

So I saw all the brass streaks on the MIM slide stop lever, where it made contact with the top cartridge in the magazine. The hardball bullets just sometimes pushed it up during all the excitement of recoil.

Since the MIM part has some nice detail visible, I chose to file the lever until it didn't touch the bullets. Oh, and that was cheaper than buying a new part.

Now it works fine and I like the pistol. I've had a Colt which shed a part and a Dan Wesson which would not work well at all (early CZ serial numbered one) and other 1911s so I am not a newbie to 1911s. I'm happy with the Kimber.

Bart Noir
Old March 14, 2019, 07:03 AM   #38
Americanpatriot

My first 1911 was a Kimber, my second was a Sig. They didn't run well. On the various forums I noticed alot of recommendations for Dan Wesson 1911's.
Old March 14, 2019, 10:56 AM   #39
rodfac

Deleted original post...too negative....suffice it to say that very experienced friends, shooting new guns here on our home range had extensive problems and were not satisfied with Kimber's response. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. Far better men than I, died that we could be FREE.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73

Last edited by rodfac; March 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old March 14, 2019, 07:00 PM   #40
Rinspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40
Several years ago Kimber went to an external extractor on their higher end versions. There is nothing wrong with an external extractor, my S&W 1911's use them.

That was almost 20 years ago.
Old March 15, 2019, 09:44 AM   #41
Josh Smith

Honest opinion:

They're decent guns, but expensive for what they are. I won't pay that much for anything filled with MIM.

You take a Rock Island Armory 1911 and give it a good finish, you've got the rough equivalent of a Kimber.

Rock Islands are good guns, too, but that company doesn't pretend they're something they're not.

Regards,
Josh

Sights for the Mosin-Nagant
Old March 15, 2019, 12:23 PM   #42
dgludwig

Quote:
It does have one problem... the safety plunger needs to be restaked, a relatively quick fix.
One advantage of the Ruger pistol is that this not uncommon problem with the 1911-style pistol can't happen with the Ruger 1911 pistol. Not a "deal breaker" per se, but something maybe worth considering when deciding which 1911 pistol to invest in.
Old March 15, 2019, 03:11 PM   #43
Hammerhead

You can take a $400 pistol, dress it up and say it's as good as a kimber, but the frame/slide/barrel will still have a $400 fit. No basic part swap is going to fix that. I'll take my Kimber, swap a couple MIM parts out and have a superior gun.
Old March 15, 2019, 03:34 PM   #44
tanker2000

I rented one a few years ago and loved it. It seemed like I was barely aiming and hit wherever I wanted. My buddy has a 10mm and has almost stopped shooting any of his other pistols.
Old March 15, 2019, 06:25 PM   #45
Rinspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydoctor
I I have no personal experience but I have always wondered how much of the $1000, give or take a couple of hundred, price tag goes to quality control and how much goes into those full page ads.

Yes, but it's not like you came up with that statement on your own. I've heard it a hundred times by others.
Old March 15, 2019, 07:42 PM   #46
Josh Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker2000
You can take a $400 pistol, dress it up and say it's as good as a kimber, but the frame/slide/barrel will still have a $400 fit. No basic part swap is going to fix that. I'll take my Kimber, swap a couple MIM parts out and have a superior gun.
Slide:barrel fit is similar; superior if you fit a barrel bushing to the RIA. Slide fit is looser in an RIA, but very easily tightened and lapped.

Look: If I'm going to get a Kimber, I'm going to swap all that MIM crap. If I get a RIA, I'm going to swap all that MIM crap.

I'll be left with the frame, slide, and barrel.

If barrel lug fit is OK top and bottom, I'm probably keeping the barrel. From what I've seen and talked about with others, the barrel fit is similar. Both brands select the best matching barrel out of a container of barrels. Very little actual fitting goes on. It's called "select fitting" or "select matching" parts.

Same with the sears etc.

Early on in my 1911 modding/building hobby, I ordered some Kimber parts. I was very disappointed. They were pretty soft.

The only real "advantage," if you can call it that, is that the Kimber has a forged frame, while the RIA has a cast frame. Caspian used to use cast frames, so I dunno that the forged frame is an advantage.

This is not Kimber bashing; they're good for what they are. However, I'm also not going to pretend they're something they're not.

If you want to put a little work in, you can buy an Armscor 1911 and replace the internals. You'll have a gun that's superior in quality to the Kimber for about the same price.

There's a reason Wilson, Brown, Baer, Dan Wesson, STI, and the others are so much more expensive than a Kimber.

Regards,
Josh

Old March 15, 2019, 08:20 PM   #47
Rinspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Smith
Slide:barrel fit is similar; superior if you fit a barrel bushing to the RIA. Slide fit is looser in an RIA, but very easily tightened and lapped.

Sorry Josh but I'm not really sure what you are talking about especially concerning how easy it is to tighten up a "slide" fit, whatever that is. Maybe you can clarify a little bit.
Old March 15, 2019, 08:27 PM   #48
Josh Smith

Slide to frame fit, Rinspeed.

Peen the rails and maybe squeeze the slide. I've been wanting to try Acc-u-rails, too.

Regards,
Josh

Old March 15, 2019, 09:29 PM   #49
Boarhunter

I have owned quite a number of Kimber 1911s, and virtually all had to be tweaked in some form or fashion by a gunsmith buddy before they would run reliably. At the price Kimbers bring, it just seems they ought to be good to go out of the box. Mine were not.

BOARHUNTER
Old March 15, 2019, 09:33 PM   #50
Josh Smith

Hello,

That "select fit" method leads to malfunctions when you're trying to get tight fits.

Seems lower lug bump is relatively common on Kimber for this reason.

Regards,
Josh