The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 15, 2019, 07:34 AM   #1
PhotonGuy

Mass Shooting In New Zealand

There has just been a mass shooting in New Zealand where at least 49 people are dead. I do not want to use this tragedy to push our agenda but I would like to give my condolences to the victims and their families.
Old March 15, 2019, 09:44 AM   #2
IdaD

I know Australia has strict gun laws, what is New Zealand like in that regard? I really don't understand what possesses people to want to kill and injure innocent people.
Old March 15, 2019, 09:51 AM   #3
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
I know Australia has strict gun laws, what is New Zealand like in that regard? I really don't understand what possesses people to want to kill and injure innocent people.
Quote:
Nearly 250,000 [1] licensed firearms owners own and use New Zealand's estimated 1.5 million [1] firearms.
Population 4.8 million.

Not like Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Zealand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 15, 2019, 12:01 PM   #4
PhotonGuy

Quote:
From what I do know about New Zealand they're more gun friendly than Australia but they are still much more restrictive than most places in the USA.
Old March 15, 2019, 12:27 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Unarmed intended victim attacked, tackled, and disarmed one of the gunmen. Mindset is critical to such situations.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213205
Old March 15, 2019, 03:45 PM   #6
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
Unarmed intended victim attacked, tackled, and disarmed one of the gunmen. Mindset is critical to such situations.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213205
That story is 100% BS, easily refuted, yet the media keeps perpetuating it
Only one person ran towards the shooter but was immediately shot down by the killer

I'm not even certain he was trying to take down the shooter, it almost appeared if he blindly ran and unintentionally encountered the killer. Either way, at no point was there a tackle, struggle, disarmament, or even anything resembling such.

It was essentially a 'fish in a barrel' type slaughter.
I'm in no way trying to make light or be critical of victims actions, in fact quite the opposite.
Anyone taking their personal safety seriously should watch the video as a means to visualize typical human behavior in such situations, and maybe learn something.

Almost everyone ran to the two farthest points in the room away from the main entrance, encountered choke points (windows), and most just stood/laid/crouched as he fired magazine after magazine. First one group on one side, then the group on the other side.

Watching things like this may actually save your life if you are ever in such a situation....hopefully not.

Last edited by TBM900; March 15, 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old March 15, 2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

You got a video link that easily refutes it?
Old March 15, 2019, 07:28 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca

It will be difficult to find the video at this point.

https://apnews.com/bcf83a4990bb4904a6addc7ded329075
Old March 15, 2019, 09:21 PM   #9
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
It will be difficult to find the video at this point.

https://apnews.com/bcf83a4990bb4904a6addc7ded329075
Yes they are trying desperately to hide this, which should be a clue as to their agenda
Thats why I downloaded both the video and manifesto immediately
But it is available with a bit of digging

Something else to note about this is how many failures this POS had with his AR
Opportunities for someone knowledgable with firearms to take a bad guy down during such an incident
Old March 15, 2019, 09:36 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca

Prime Minister has been on the teevee saying, "Our gun laws WILL change."
Old March 15, 2019, 09:51 PM   #11
TBM900

Looks like the stream just hit LL for the fifth or sixth time today
I wonder how long it will stay up this time
Old March 15, 2019, 10:28 PM   #12
thallub

The New Zealand police arrested three men for the attacks on the mosques. At least two IEDs were found.

The shooter scumbag had names of his mass shooter heroes on his rifle along with Nazi stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.c18e1a2dd980
Old March 15, 2019, 10:47 PM   #13
PhotonGuy

Quote:
Prime Minister has been on the teevee saying, "Our gun laws WILL change."
Their gun laws should change in that good people should be allowed to own and carry guns.
Old March 15, 2019, 10:55 PM   #14
kenny53

Some in the leftist main stream media have blamed President Trump. Not sure how far around the bend they had to go to blame the President of the United States for a mass shooting in New Zealand but they got there. I feel for the innocents that were killed and their loved ones left behind.
Old March 15, 2019, 10:57 PM   #15
JERRYS.

only unarmed people get slaughtered.
Old March 15, 2019, 11:03 PM   #16
Rangerrich99

Apparently, there are politicians here that are also blaming the NRA. Not sure how that's possible, but . . .
Old March 15, 2019, 11:13 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Apparently, there are politicians here that are also blaming the NRA. Not sure how that's possible, but . . .
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The NRA failed to provide the requisite good guy with a gun, so it's obviously their fault.
Old March 15, 2019, 11:40 PM   #18
Pops1085

I watched the video. Unless you’re used to seeing actual real humans dying and crying out their last words I wouldn’t recommend it. Very sobering. That said, the thing that I took away from this is how many peoples first reaction is to fling themselves in the corner of the wall and floor and hope for the best. At one point he enters a room where everybody is huddled on top of each other and just rapid fires into the pile. Awful. It’s amazing how fast things went bad and how casual this psycho was. I think I’ll go to the range tomorrow and pray to god I don’t have the same instinct if my time comes. Those people clearly didn’t deserve that.
Old March 16, 2019, 03:09 AM   #19
armoredman

Train to fight back or train to die.
The shooter is an oxygen thief who accomplished all his goals of not only the random murders but fomenting discord and discontent internationally. AO-C, that liberal POS has already been making mouth noises.
Old March 16, 2019, 06:15 AM   #20
cptjack

a member of our club went to New Zealand for an AIR RIFLE shoot much paperwork and about 9 most to process
Old March 16, 2019, 06:19 AM   #21
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub View Post
The New Zealand police arrested three men for the attacks on the mosques. At least two IEDs were found.

The shooter scumbag had names of his mass shooter heroes on his rifle along with Nazi stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.c18e1a2dd980
Before posting stuff like that....
I would suggest reading his manifesto and seeking out the facts
Almost all of the media coverage is utter BS, sloppy, false, presumptive, and narrative driven
This is literally the worst Ive seen of such an incident, and there have been some really bad prior examples
How we have gotten to this point, how we have allowed ourselves to get this bad and so easy to manipulate...truly pathetic
WE ARE DOOMED
Old March 16, 2019, 06:23 AM   #22
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
Looks like the stream just hit LL for the fifth or sixth time today
I wonder how long it will stay up this time
And the latest LiveLeak stream of the incident has been blocked....again
All of the major sites are trashing it as fast as they can as they want to control the narrative
PATHETIC
Old March 16, 2019, 06:26 AM   #23
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
Train to fight back or train to die.
The shooter is an oxygen thief who accomplished all his goals of not only the random murders but fomenting discord and discontent internationally. AO-C, that liberal POS has already been making mouth noises.
This guy literally predicts how the media and the identity politics crowd will react
This guy literally says his main goal is to get them riled up with their rhetoric
And they fell for it hook, line, and sinker
Old March 16, 2019, 06:38 AM   #24
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1085 View Post
I watched the video. Unless you’re used to seeing actual real humans dying and crying out their last words I wouldn’t recommend it. Very sobering. That said, the thing that I took away from this is how many peoples first reaction is to fling themselves in the corner of the wall and floor and hope for the best. At one point he enters a room where everybody is huddled on top of each other and just rapid fires into the pile. Awful. It’s amazing how fast things went bad and how casual this psycho was. I think I’ll go to the range tomorrow and pray to god I don’t have the same instinct if my time comes. Those people clearly didn’t deserve that.
Human nature
Our instinct is to separate from the threat

Which is why people should ALWAYS identify exits & escape routes BEFORE something happens
Identify them, dry run in your head, prepare to react

Not to the level of paranoia and constant fear
But just as you would plan for the hundreds of other things you do each day

As a pilot, we continually prepare for various scenarios, drill them, practice them
Even when alone, each time I line up on centerline I verbalize my V-speeds and scenarios before advancing power
I do the same thing throughout my day to day life
Old March 16, 2019, 07:42 AM   #25
Mainah

I agree with David French, this is a scary new step in the gamification of these events: https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...ltural-script/

Knowing exit points is very important. However shooters have been known to disable exits as part of their planning. And this video is a tutorial for the next loser.