The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 13, 2019, 09:28 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

North Carolina Car Carry

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. I was hoping there was a handguns and the law section but I didn't see one.

Here is my question:
I am aware that in North Carolina if you have a gun in you car, it must in plain view or inaccessible (like in the trunk), If inaccessible, it doesn't have to be in plain view. How does having a concealed carry permit affect this. Does the CCW supercede the "plain view or inaccesible" rule. For instance, if I have a conceal permit, can I keep the gun under the seat or does it have to be on my person for the plain view or inaccesible rule to not apply.
Old March 13, 2019, 11:26 PM   #2
5whiskey

If you have a ccw, you are covered if gun is concealed on your hip, glove box, under the seat, or wherever. So you’re good in the car if you have your concealed permit.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 14, 2019, 09:48 PM   #3
P Flados

FYI,

If you have a CCW and do the glove box / under the seat thing, just make sure you do not leave the gun there and then let a non CCW holder borrow the vehicle.
Old March 14, 2019, 11:37 PM   #4
lamarw

I know North Carolina has a reciprocal concealed carry agreement with Alabama. Therefore, when I travel through North Carolina I can carry my firearm concealed on my person or in my vehicle.

I do not know what North Carolina's stance is on the "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand Your Ground". If I were to be in another State for any extended period, I would certainly find out.

Call your local law enforcement to hopefully get the straight answer.
Old March 15, 2019, 12:00 PM   #5
willr

It is my understanding that North Carolina does not have either a "Castle Doctrine" or a "Stand Your Ground" policy.
willr
Old March 15, 2019, 12:41 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Out of the idlest of curiosity, would this not be covered on the NC CCW training course?
These guys say, "You MAY open carry in a motor vehicle. However, localities may regulate the carrying of firearms under certain circumstances."
https://www.usacarry.com/north_carol...formation.html
These guys, who are higher on the pecking order, say this. They also define 'concealed'.
https://www.ncdps.gov/our-organizati...ns-in-vehicles
Old March 15, 2019, 04:23 PM   #7
jetinteriorguy

If your permit is valid n NC, the only requirement out of the ordinary is if interacting with a LEO you must tell them you are carrying and present them with your permit and valid ID.