The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 1999, 03:26 PM   #1
Trooper

I am trying to decide between a 550 or XL 650. I load both rifle and pistol in 223, 40 and 45. When loading rifle, do you loose the 650's speed advantage or is there a speed advantage? I guess what I'm asking is this: Is auto indexing and an auto case feed worth the really larger bucks? Also, are all teh extras necessary: strong mount, powder check for the 650, low powder alert (it's in your face anyway!), bullet tray? Thanks for the opinions and help in advance!
Old July 24, 1999, 06:39 PM   #2
CCV

I like the 550. It is the most popular progressive ever made (according to Dillon). Simple, straight forward,and reliable. You won't go wrong with the 550
Old July 25, 1999, 01:06 PM   #3
swifter...

My 550 has loaded many thousand rounds. I like the strong mount, and think I want the bullet tray, I made my own primer alert - 1/8" dowel on top of the primers, drops into the works and locks 'em open when the primers are gone. I think the slight extra weight helps feeding, too.
That said, I load almost ALL my rifle rounds on single stage presses, because of how I prep the cases, and the Dillon can't do that (yet?).

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old July 26, 1999, 10:35 PM   #4
David's USP

Trooper,

I purchased the 550 a few months ago and have been thrilled with it! I can't knock it at all, however, now I wish I would have stepped up to the plate and bought the XL 650 so I would at least HAVE THE OPTION TO ADD THE CASE FEEDER and powder check. So much for hindsight. After a few (2) primer only loads w/9mm (thank God the bullet didn't go far enough to let the next round chamber) I think the powder check is CHEAP insurance.

I like the strong mount because I mounted my 550 to a board to make it "portable". I can pretty much load anywhere (even on the ground) without having to look for appropriate clearance underneath. I generally screw the board down on the bench to keep it stable. Since my space is limited, I can switch between my 550 and MECJR pretty easily.

Forget the low powder alert. Even if for some reason you had a brain fart and it ran dry, the powder check would clue you. Hell, with the powder check, primer check and powder level alarm your neighbors would never get any sleep with all that "beeping" going on!

While the bullet tray looks nice and is very functional, I think it is a bit over priced when you can just screw a cheap bin to the side of the strong mount that is just as functional.

Two other must haves IMHO: Get the rolling handle. I got mine after loading with the 550 for a few months and every time I use it I kick myself in the arse for not getting it sooner. It really makes thinks easier, esp seating the primers. Also, I bought an adjustable "Drafting" chair for my bench. Looks like a regular rolling office chair but adjust from very low to very high. As you start to get tired, or in my case sore, you can adjust the height, etc and relieve the pressure. However, the ones with wheels on the bottom will have you rolling all over the place while you reload. Mine had the cheap plastic ones with a little "fender" over them. I simply ran a small sheet metal screw through the fender and into the wheel and now it stays in place. I can always remove the screws later if I want to roll around!

I have only been loading (and shooting) for a few months but I hope this helps!

Ciao,

David

------------------
NRA Life Member
It ain't my grammer, it's me tpyign!
Sometimes it is eaiser to apologize than ask permission

[This message has been edited by David's USP (edited July 26, 1999).]
Old July 31, 1999, 11:11 AM   #5
snoman

I got the AT500 and turned it into a 550, best reloader i have used, I like the 550 for the fact that i can reload more different rounds, andhave not noticed the differance between 600 and 800 rounds per hour...

------------------
---snoman---

Old August 5, 1999, 08:29 PM   #6
HankL

I have been using my 650 for a while now loading .308. I progressed from my 450 which has never been upgraded. The only issue with the 650 is learning how to use it. With the auto indexing you can bump around enough to shake powder out of your cases. Once you learn the curve you have something that is what we used to call awesome!
You won't go wrong either way.
Good Shooting, Hank
Old August 6, 1999, 08:59 PM   #7
TaxPhd

The biggest drawback to the 550 is the manual shell advance. The auto-advance on the Square Deal and the 650 make a double charge almost impossible.

On any progressive, a little Hornady One Shot (or other spray lube) on the cases and a small amount inside the neck will make your reloading much, much, smoother (and nearly eliminate spilled powder, which is primarily caused by a case "popping" off of the case mouth expander).
Old August 11, 1999, 04:35 AM   #8
Long Path

David USP:
Also, the low powder alert makes it a serious pain to throw a charge back into the powder hopper. Agreed that the powder checker is the greatest thing ever!