The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 31, 2007, 10:59 AM   #26
The Tourist

The subject of censorship on a hobby forum comes up for many diverse reasons. I've been banned for touching 'off topic' issues, but not for the same reasons.

For example, I love science fiction. However, most sci-fi nuts are younger guys, and primarily leftist in their views. In one hobby forum there were three of us with conservative opinions--and a gallows sense of humor.

Guess what, I got banned. And I wrote in the same manner I do in this forum.

And I've come to realize that it's not what you write so much as how your opinions rock-the-boat with forum owners.

Oh, sometimes I've literally asked for it. It was a noble fight that I'm still very proud of.

However, if you are polite, you can debate even hot-button topics and you can ultimately win the respect of your most ardent detractors.

I will offer this advice. If you discover a board that simply trips your trigger into anger, and we all know many, than simply quit going there.

Certainly their are forum owners who are posers, but you're not going to get the last word, simply aggravation. And in turn, your own credentials might be questioned--been there, done that.

It's just a computer. Turn it off.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:34 PM   #27
HalB

Do You Have A Life

Hal, you're new here, but you still read the rules, right? No personal attacks. EVER.

Last edited by Don Gwinn; August 2, 2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Personal attack.
Old August 2, 2007, 10:53 PM   #28
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

To address the actual purported purpose of this thread (and not read between the lines) if you think someone is putting one inappropriate post into an otherwise good thread, hit the report button on that thread and tell the moderator why you think that post should be removed.
Old August 3, 2007, 05:25 PM   #29
Neophyte1

Why I participate

My reasoning for pledging 'The Firing Line'

1. Decent Folks
2. Decent thoughts
3. Responsible Thinking
4. Hard-headed Opinions
5. Belief in Decency
6. Respectful
7. Well Rounded Tables
8. Dignity

My Personal investigation before I entered; I do not enjoy trash
'I' do not want any part of Dis-Respect of any one
'I' will not spend any time with Trash

Selfish and to the point: 'I' am glad to be here.

Craig