The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 17, 2002, 12:19 PM   #26
LASur5r+P

Providing weapons to the enemy

Never did like leaving ordinance behhind so that it could be used against me.
Could never get that point to end up point first every time. Have to work in close if I have any knife work to do.

Good luck with finding the right knives.
Old December 10, 2002, 06:14 PM   #27
weerwolf

If you plan to use throwing knives , first find a good one that goes with your (lack of) throwing style. Next there are 2 ways to throw , first the usual circus style throw in witch the knife rotates while flying toward the target. The other way is with the palm grip of spearhead throw , that causes the knife not to spin while flying. The circus style throw is useless in any combat situation , except when you're really good.
Old December 10, 2002, 08:50 PM   #28
Seeker

Quote:
the palm grip of spearhead throw , that causes the knife not to spin while flying.
More info please.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old December 11, 2002, 12:54 AM   #29
Ayteeone

If you want something that should be reasonably effective, the old throwing axes had a reputation for working well. However, if it doesn't work, you've just given the other guy a good contact weapon!

Keep the knife in your hand.

Better yet, see the perp ahead of time and avoid him.
Old December 11, 2002, 06:13 AM   #30
weerwolf

Quote:
More info please.
go to:
http://www.throwzini.com/
or
http://www.knifethrowing.info/
Old December 13, 2002, 04:12 PM   #31
CWL

Cold Steel Torpedo is the only 'toy' that I think most people can learn to use quickly. However, it is just a toy.

Only knife throwing I've seen that looks good is in FMA when a knife is thrown to finish off someone, -typically someone who is already incapacitated or somehow tangled-up. It is not a first move, AND you always maintain your primary weapon -such as a sword.
Old December 18, 2002, 01:36 PM   #32
Quartus

Quote:
So, I can get a license to carry a firearm, but a sharpened bit of steel that is much less likely to be a threat, is not available to me, legally.

Knife laws are often more convoluted, arbitrary, and just plain stupid than gun laws.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old May 20, 2004, 06:24 PM   #33
striderteen

It depends. If you are really, really, really good, purpose-designed throwing knives can be more effective than handguns because you have complete control of the knife's trajectory up until the exact moment of release and can make it curve to hit a moving target, wheras with a handgun you are committed to a straight-line aim a few milliseconds before the shot actually goes off.

On the other hand, very few people are this good with throwing knives.
Old May 23, 2004, 12:48 PM   #34
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I know two people- of hundreds I've seen train with knives- who may be this good.

Both of them would prefer a firearm, any firearm, to defend themselves.

If one has this much motor control, one can simply plot the target's track. Even easier with a firearm.

John

Wandering Thoughts