The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2017, 09:43 PM   #1
Siggy-06

Taurus PT-92 Over the Beretta 92

I've been mulling over adding another full size hi-cap 9mm to my collection. I have a few poly 9's and a Hi-power as well. I carried a Beretta M9 while in the Navy for 5 years and actually liked it a lot, pointed good, good sight picture, shot well. I started browsing online and came across the Tuarus PT92, which has a rail and the frame mounted safety rather than on the slide. I like the safety position better on the Taurus, as well as the all stainless option. It's about $140 cheaper than the Beretta as well. I don't have anything against Taurus personally, my 709 and lil .38 special have run flawless. Any reason to the Beretta over the Taurus or vice-versa?
Old September 28, 2017, 10:06 PM   #2
BigBL87

IMO, the biggest knock on the Taurus is IF you have to use their customer service, it probably won't be the best experience.

Taurus had a reputation for quality control issues, but by and large the PT-92 seems to have been immune from those, probably because it is originally a Beretta design. I think the frame mounted safety/decocker is a much better design than the slide mounted one used on the Beretta, and the standard rail is handy. Thanks to its lineage, the PT-92 does share quite a few parts with the Beretta, which is nice because Taurus can be really stingy about certain parts and will make you send the gun in to replace them, just happened to me with my Taurus 65 revolver, I ended up trying to source used parts and parts from other guns that work.

I liked the PT-92 that I had, but ended up selling it to fund my CZ-75 and have not regretted it once as I love my CZ. If I were offered an opportunity to get a PT-92 on a great deal, though, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

The stainless PT-92 with some nice wood grips really is a thing of beauty. Mine was almost identical to the picture, except I had the checkered version of the rosewood grips.

Old September 28, 2017, 10:14 PM   #3
JMag1

Taurus PT-92 Over the Beretta 92

The PT-92 has always been one of their better handguns, and I actually prefer its safety to the slide-mounted safety/decocker of the Beretta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by JMag1; September 28, 2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old September 29, 2017, 12:45 AM   #4
kmw1954

I have a PT92C that I love to shoot and it goes with me everywhere. I picked this up used on GunBroker for $250.00 and it looked like it was barely used when I got it. So trust me, for the money I have invested in this gun if something were to break or wear out I would not be sending it back to Taurus so for me Taurus CS is a non-issue. There are more than plenty after-market and used parts available to suite me.
Old September 29, 2017, 01:07 AM   #5
Ibmikey

This is a trick question ....right!
Old September 29, 2017, 01:18 AM   #6
Mosin44az

I have owned both. My Berettas were all perfect through hundreds of rounds each, and this includes two heavily-used police trade-ins. My Taurus was....finicky.

I agree the Taurus frame-mounted safety/decocker is better, I find the Beretta setup irritating and would switch it to decocker only if possible.

But there is no question in my mind that Beretta is a higher-quality brand and a much safer choice worth the price difference.

And while some other formerly-respectable brands now "match" Taurus' iffy quality control, from what I can tell, Taurus warranty service is still ALOT slower.
Old September 29, 2017, 05:51 AM   #7
saleen322

I owned a Taurus PT-99, the adjustable sight model and I have a Beretta 92. Both had their good points and neither were without issues. I like the Beretta a little better of the two but I would not be afraid of buying another Taurus.
Old September 29, 2017, 06:18 AM   #8
muzzleblast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
...I like the safety position better on the Taurus, as well as the all stainless option...
Me too and the frame mounted safety is why I went with the PT92AF.
Old September 29, 2017, 06:42 AM   #9
tallball

I have had my PT99 (adjustable sight version) since 1990 or so. It's a good pistol and hasn't given me any problems. My FiL has a Beretta 92. We both prefer the Taurus due to its superior safety/decocker setup.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:08 AM   #10
adamBomb

I love taurus and think they make great guns. However, I just bought a new beretta 92fs. I knew if I bought the taurus version I would be kicking myself for not just getting the beretta. This is going to be my dedicated home defense pistol that I want to keep forever and hopefully pass down to my kids. So I think historically over time the beretta will hold value and be more desirable. I bought the beretta new off buds for $469.
Old September 29, 2017, 04:29 PM   #11
smee78

I have a Beretta and my buddy has a Taurus and we both have had many thousands of rounds down our guns and neither one has had any problems. I like Taurus decocker/safety better than the Berettas location but neither gun has had any problems and have been reliable with either ball or hollow point ammo and have been 100%. I do agree that Taurus CS sucks as I have had to use it a few times on a few light weight revolvers but the 92 series seems to be solid guns.
Old September 29, 2017, 07:48 PM   #12
lechiffre

Beretta has :

crome lined barrel
improved locking block
oversized hammer pin
radiused back strap

do the interns get glocks ?
Old September 29, 2017, 08:08 PM   #13
Brian48

I've had two PT99s. They were great guns. Should never have sold them.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Sequins

I prefer the Beretta because it's the classic example. If you don't care about having "The original" there isn't a ton of advantage I don't think and you sure save a lot of money with Taurus.
Old September 29, 2017, 09:00 PM   #15
amd6547

I owned a Beretta 92FS for a few years, and I liked it a lot. Eventually, I found I preferred the Glock 17, an opinion I still hold.
However, I missed the old Beretta. I found a 1997 Taurus PT92AF in like new condition for $265. It has been a fantastic shooter, and I consider it the equal of the 92FS I owned. I don't know about current Taurus 92's, but the older ones are all forged with no MIM or plastic.
I use MecGar 18rd friction coated mags, and it makes for a nice package.
Old September 29, 2017, 09:07 PM   #16
Siggy-06

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm still indecisive. My lgs has a used beretta 92 but he's not budging on his price(which is the same as a new one online -.- ).
Old September 29, 2017, 09:41 PM   #17
Southrnshooter

I have several Beretta's and used to have a PT-99. I bought both my sons Glock 17's for their 21st birthdays but the oldest wanted the PT-99 instead.

Taurus did a couple things right, their revolvers and their Beretta clones. I loved that pistol. It's my sons home defense gun now. He carries a Shield.

If you really want a Beretta they can be found on some of the forums. Check out the Beretta forum. I picked up a used M9 at my LGS for $425. But dont fear buying the Taurus. It's a fine handgun.

Mec-gar mags are available for it from Greg Cote LLC. at very reasonable prices. He's a great guy to deal with.
Old September 30, 2017, 02:12 AM   #18
DaleA

If money were no object...I guess I'd still get the Taurus because of the goofy slide mounted safety on the Beretta.

I will totally admit that the Beretta has much more brand appeal.

One thing though...I'd get the Taurus 99 because of the adjustable sights (I like adjustable sights) and with the adjustable sights it makes it easier to do a complete strip of the gun to get at the firing pin block pin. For the PT92 you have to drift out the rear sight...for the PT99 IIRC it's easier...

I mention this because a friend had the firing pin block pin get jammed on his Taurus. A gunsmith quickly diagnosed the problem, the primer wasn't getting hit at all, and flushed the firing pin area with a lot of solvent and that solved the problem. He said if it were a PT99 it would be easy to take all the parts out and clean them but his fix worked just fine without removing the rear sight.
Old September 30, 2017, 04:19 AM   #19
Snuffy308

Get the new one on line. The beretta is a better gun but the Taurus can be carried cocked and locked which the beretta can't do if that is important.
Old September 30, 2017, 12:17 PM   #20

If nothing else, consider resale value.

The most any Taurus will be worth, is the exact moment you pay for it. That is to say, it won't appreciate in value. They never do.

You buy a Beretta and it will most likely hold it's value over the years, and likely gain some as well.
Old September 30, 2017, 12:42 PM   #21
kmw1954

I guess resale is a point if you're looking to buy a safe queen.
I like to shoot mine regularly. Not going to worry if the blueing gets a little holster wear.
Old September 30, 2017, 05:02 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If nothing else, consider resale value.
So far down the list of considerations as to be non-existant.
Quote:
I prefer the Beretta because it's the classic example. If you don't care about having "The original" there isn't a ton of advantage
Exactly the reason I chose the Beretta over the Taurus.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 30, 2017, 09:51 PM   #23
Z400ACDC

I bought a new Taurus PT92 in 1990. I can't even start to guess how many thousands of rounds has been fired through it. I know I should change the locking block! It has never jammed. I like the safety better than my Beretta 92fs Italian model. The trigger on the Beretta is a bit smoother. I shoot them both with the same accuracy.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:04 PM   #24
Lexspeed

I don't have either gun, but that won't stop me from expressing my opinion.

I have heard too many complaints from friends that have owned a Taurus in various models. That has effected my image of the brand. I'd spend the extra money for a Beretta.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:12 PM   #25
blchandl2

I have a PT99, 2 PT92s, and a PT58. No issues with any of them. I don't like the slide mounted safety on the Beretta.

Last edited by blchandl2; October 1, 2017 at 07:42 PM.