The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2014, 09:21 AM   #1
velocette

Stained brass?

I have a pile of .45 Colt once fired brass, all new production Winchester.
They have patchy stains on them from unknown causes. They apparently were fired then put back in the Win ammo boxes foam holder.
I cannot seem to get the stains off the brass by tumbling with good polish and ground walnut shells.
Any ideas on how to get the stains off without having to buy a new tumbler?

Roger
Old January 7, 2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Overscore

Suggestion #1: Don't care about the stains.
Suggestion #2: Vinegar and isopropyl

I polish all of my brass in a mixture of vinegar and isopropyl alcohol, and it has removed stains that sound like the one you describe. The ratio I use is one Costco jug of vinegar and one Costco bottle of alcohol. I believe that they are 1.25 gallons and 32 ounces, respectively.

Personally, as much as I try, I am unable to take suggestion #1. Although it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, I don't like it when my brass doesn't shine like jewelry!
Old January 7, 2014, 12:18 PM   #3
SL1

I just use vinegar to remove stains. I dilute it with water to about 1/3 strength and put it into a sonic cleaner for a minute or so. Then I drop it into a strong baking soda solution to neutralize the acid and then rinse in clean water. No isopropyl alcohol needed. Ultrasonic cleaner not really needed, either, but it shortens the time.

Just don't soak the brass in ANY acid for too long. Even vinegar, which is weaker than lemon juice (citric acid) can COMPLETELY disolve a piece of brass if it is left in long enough. Watch the brass to see when you are done.

And do NOT use polishes with ammonia in them, like Brasso. They will cause the brass to prematurely crack later on.

SL1
Old January 7, 2014, 12:24 PM   #4
jwrowland77

I use option one....as long as it doesn't affect my loads, I don't care.

I have some cases for my 7mm RM that I kept around just in case I ever started reloading. Well, I did, and at that point the cases were 8 years old and had the stains on them. I run them through the tumbler, load them up and shoot them.

I have some other cases from a .243 that I borrowed from a buddy when I was in the military. Well, they were love rounds until 2 weeks ago when I finally shot them. I had bought those rounds 18 years ago and they all fired great but had stains on them. Same thing, tumbled, loaded, shot.