The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 3, 2012, 07:12 PM   #1
chasgrips45

Astra Question

Hi All, I just bought an older model Astra Constable today ,It`s the type with 1 grip screw per side . At any rate I like the gun! A few differences however. For instance the slide release & its spring are entirely different than the new models. I figured I would strip the gun down ,& clean it. As I was disassembling the gun the slide stop & its little spring popped out of their place. I`m familiar with the positioning of this little spring in the newer guns ,but this little spring aint nothing like the new one! I`ve tried to find a blowup of this old model gun everywhere. I just can`t figure out which way this spring is oriented . I`ve got to be super careful ,because if I screw up ,or launch one of the springs in orbit ,I am screwed ! Anyone with a photo of the left side of the pistol? Could use some help.

Last edited by chasgrips45; September 3, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, the slide stop spring on those guns is a bit like the Walther PP. The spring is a wire V type with one end straight and the other having a rounded hump. The straight end sits in a slot in the inside of the slide stop, with the point of the V to the front, and is staked in. The humped end then is sticking up and when installing the slide stop you have to use a small screwdriver or something to push it down so it will go under the edge of the hole in the frame above the trigger.

If that does not make sense, please post a photo of the setup on yours, and we can try to help you figure it out.

Jim
Old September 4, 2012, 08:11 AM   #3
chasgrips45

Thanks Jim, I have as newer model ,also ,that`s the exact way to strip that gun. The fact the the straight section of spring is staked in position makes it a lot easier to snap the other half of the spring. This gun has the spring loose , just waiting to launch itself across the room! Just looking at the spring you can sort of imagine how it goes in, but in this case ,I believe the spring is turned the other way around . All I need is a confirmation that this is the right way , & I`ve got no problem with making it work. I`ll sit there & concentrate for a while & see what gives. Thanks for your info Jim. I`ll be in touch!
Old September 4, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4
chasgrips45

Fixed it.