The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 15, 2000, 05:08 PM   #1
LASur5r

You have had your primary weapon taken away from you by the BG's...you didn't have a choice.
If you had a backup weapon hidden on you, would you choose it to be a knife or a small concealable gun?
What would you choose and why?
Old September 16, 2000, 08:48 AM   #2
BillX

Well since the bad guys have already taken your main pistol, that means they have your pistol (and it is an ass kicker) if you have a knife as a backup, you are in the classic "brought a knife to a gunfight" mode. Dumb. That said, I carry a knife as a backup because I feel stupid carrying 2 guns. And I try to follow the Clint Smith quote, "Somebody may kill me with my own gun but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it because it's gonna be empty."

------------------
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." H.L. Mencken
Old September 17, 2000, 05:03 PM   #3
LASur5r

BillX,
I'm with you...if Plan A(gun) didn't work, Plan B would have to be a doozy...

I was thinking back to the ol' Clint Eastwood movie...the first Dirty Harry movie...wouldn't want to have to find out, though.

Keep your powder dry and shoot straight.
Old September 17, 2000, 09:25 PM   #4
coyote6

I'm a cop and just bought a Kel-Tec P-32 to clip on my vest in the event of the unspeakable loss of my G22. An Emerson CQC7 rides in my pocket for extra warm fuzzies also.
Old September 18, 2000, 05:50 PM   #5
Number 6

Down on da' bayou a lot of folks carry a filet knife with them in case they catch any fish during lunch break. A filet knife is really sharp and efficient has about a six inch blade and looks like a miniature curved stiletto.

------------------
"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."
Homer Simpson... but attributed to Algore.

Old September 18, 2000, 07:28 PM   #6
LASur5r

In the days of yore...I practiced jiujitsu..our teacher wanted authenticity and he either had us carrying a Japanese filet knife which looked like a 7 inch knife with the blade in a wooden scabbard. Could give a really lethal cut if placed in the right place.

As you mentioned, also does a good job of filleting fish.
Old September 19, 2000, 07:56 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Funny how the world has changed. Back in the 1950s, I wandered around such places as the waterfront in Marseilles, the Algerian section of Paris, and red light/off limits areas in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul and Juarez.

Never had a problem, never felt threatened. Drank a lot of the locals' beer, telling lies about Texas, cowboys, and Indians...

LAsur5r, it'll be a cold day down below before I live in a place where I have to fret about your concerns.

Regards, Art
Old September 20, 2000, 07:23 PM   #8
LASur5r

Art Eatman,
I've tried to leave this H*#@hole, but I have given in to the fact that my wife wants to be near her family (8 brothers and sisters and families) and the fact that her father and mother are in their 80's and not doing well...Well, I'm sure you understand the woman's feelings towards family obligations.

I have a SpecOps bud that wants me to move up to Washington state...I think he just wants a rifle bearer and a spotter when we go hunting. I almost got my wife to agree...so maybe, soon?

Meanwhile, I keep the guns well oiled and ready here in sunny SoCal, but thanks for the sympathy.
Old September 21, 2000, 01:00 PM   #9
Cheapo

My backup is teeth, bad breath and a really vicious attitude towards lawbreakers.
Old September 21, 2000, 04:06 PM   #10
Country Boy

Why are we worried if the BG gets our gun? Perhaps he just wanted to admire your mint condition Colt Commander.

IF I carried a backup, which I don't, I would rather it be a handgun than a knife. If they had my primary gun, I would rather engage them from a distance (via a .38 wheelgun) than up close and personal.