The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
Winchester_73

Winchester 37 questions

I have a Winchester 37 12 gauge. Its a red letter, 30 in barrel, with the blunt "bull nose" forend. It also has the butt plate with winchester in the circle. My questions are as follows:

1) Since the gun seems to have all of the original features, should it have a pigtail break open lever? Mine does not. Is it possible someone changed it? The gun is in great condition.

2) Is my gun pre war since it has early features or could it be post war? In other words, when did the early features stop being made?

3) Were there 28 in barrels available on the red letters or is that just the later 37s? I know a 30 in is worth a slight premium but I was wondering is it because its more rare than a 28 in or because its only found on earlier guns?

I am fully aware that there were no serial numbers placed on these. I was just hoping someone here may have a lot of personal experience with these or maybe someone here collects them? Thanks. Sorry, I don't have pics at this time.