The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 16, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
SoonerFan

Dad's new Winchester Model 88

My dad recently got a Winchester Model 88 in 308 from a family friend. Anything he should know about the Winchester model 88? I don't know much about them, and I don' think he's hunted with it yet. Thanks!

Last edited by SoonerFan; November 16, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old November 17, 2009, 12:19 AM   #2
trooper3385

I've never really heard anything bad about them. Probably not going to be an absolute tack driver, but should be plenty accurate for hunting. A guy on our lease hunts with one in a 243 and puts a deer down just about every year. He shot a 12 point with it last year at about 220 yds.

Ps
UT 16 OU 13
Hook em horns
Better luck next year
Old November 17, 2009, 06:56 AM   #3
dgludwig

I've always liked the 88. The only negative thing about the rifle imo is that the trigger pull leaves a lot to be desired. Oh, and be sure to tell your dad to be careful to not lose the magazine. Replacements can be very hard to come by.
Old November 17, 2009, 09:06 AM   #4
GeauxTide

A very excellent rifle that was way ahead of it's time. The .284Win pieces go into the $thousands. As mentioned, trigger is rough. My old BIL had one in 243 and killed pickup truck loads of deer over a long life.
Old November 17, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5
thekyrifleman

He might want to put it in the safe and forget about it. the value of the 88's are appreciating faster than any bank account. I have one in 284 that is in my safe gaining value everyday...
Old November 17, 2009, 12:53 PM   #6
gak

It's more of a bolt action mechanism actuated by lever--than a pure" lever action...and some say it's a complex or at least different leverworks. Have a smith check it out before hitting the field or range and you'll be good to go. I always liked them as the "ultimate" compromise or combo--a long(er) range, harder hitting but still handy lever--and passed on a Pre 64 .308 awhile ago I want back!
Old November 17, 2009, 07:15 PM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Win. 88

A prettier lever action has yet to be built . Only the Sako Finnwolf matches it and they are in the thousands of dollars . You can manage the trigger with some practice . Most people don't shoot enough anyway .
Old November 17, 2009, 07:49 PM   #8
94bluerat

Wow, lucky him. I hunt w/ one every weekend. Experiment w/ ammo. I'm shooting 168gr win sup ballistic tip in .308. It shoots decent groups and hits strong past 200yds.

Good luck!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old November 17, 2009, 11:32 PM   #9
jrothWA

You have one of the finest medium caliber lever-action

for .308W, use the 165gr@ about the 2500fps.

Also, if you want to improve accuracy, try bedding the front of action where the mag release is located.

check the barrel & stock for any rubbing and relieve.

rough-up the back half of the C'bore for the barrel screw& ferrule, the bed the rear of that area, use a business card @ the stock tio and barrel, until the bedding is cured.

Do this you'll be able to group your shots inside the X-ring on a standard 200 yd target from the prone position.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:52 AM   #10
72gator

The values of the guns has sky-rocketed. My father-in-law has them all but the .358... he REALLY wishes he had that one! I have seen these guns since I was a kid, and I like them very much. I would love one in a .308, but I'd settle for a model 99 Savage in the same caliber. I think your Dad will love his new toy.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:05 AM   #11
bamaranger

a classic

M88's used the same bbls as M70's, very high quality. Mine shoots better after I shimmed the forearm just ahead of the front bedding screw, prior that it was prone to shift zero season to season.

Also, my rifle likes 150 gr better than anything heavier, and W-W factory shoots as well as anything else I've tried.

You don't mention what era the rifle is. Pre-64 has cut checkering and all I've seen have pretty dark walnut. Post 64 is stamped checkering and blonder wood to my eye than the early rifles. VERY early M88,s had a tang at the rear of the receiver, later rifles did not.

The classic stock points great for me. Three generations have carried mine, and my boy will get it next. I have the note my grandad wrote insuring the rifle would come to me.