The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 1999, 12:01 AM   #1
Shake

I have put together some loads using 300 gr. Lazer-Cast bullets for my New Model Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. The data I used was sent to me from Lazer-Cast a few months before their new reloading manual came out. It specifies a starting load of 18.0 grs. of H110 and a max load of 21.0 grs of H110. After firing the first 5 shot string (18.0 grs of H110) I stopped because I noticed flattened primers. I have seen flattened primers before (on factory loads also), and have read that they are not reliable indicators of high pressure signs. Does anyone know if this data is accurate? Is this datat the same as was published in the new manual? Am I on thin ice with these loads, or are they within reasonable limits? Thanks in advance. Shake
Old October 31, 1999, 03:06 PM   #2
Paul B.

Shake. Go to (www.sixgunner.com). There is some interesting data there. One of the things they brought out was data for H-110 and W-296 was, for all practial purposes interchangeable. I shoot a hard cast 300 gr. bullet with W-296, and I have worked up to 20.5 gr. I quit there, althiough data I have said I could go one more grain higher. The data you have would seem to corroborate what was said about the interchangability of the two powders.
Primer flattening, in my opinion, in revolvers is not too reliable whan searching for pressure signs. When case extraction starts to become sticky, then I back off about a grain, and call that max.
My only complaint about using the 300 gr. bullets, is the darn things shoot about 6 to 8 inches high at 25 yards with the sights adjusted as low as they will go.
I got the mold to make bullets for a 4 5/8s inch Super B, that I carry when on hikes at a nearby mountain. Seems like some numbnuts have been feeding the bears up there, and when they see a human, they come looking for food. Have had a few maulings because of this. I figure a 300 gr. bullet at 1200 plus in the brain pan should do the trick, if it becomes necessary. I settled on the starting load, by the way. Easier on me, and the gun.
Before I forget, the articles in question are by John Linebaugh, inventor of the .475 Linebaugh. While most of what he talks about has to do with hot loads in the .45 LC, some of the data is useful.
Paul B.