The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2002, 11:28 PM   #1
HKguy9

Sight options for Remington 870?

Thinking on getting an 870 for caca & giggles and adding a detachable magazine.

1. What sight options come from the factory, and what do you think is the best? (i.e. bead, rifle sights?)

2. What is the best aftermarket option? I like ghost ring sights but not sure if they come straight from the factory.

Has anyone put an Aimpoint on an 870?
Old March 22, 2002, 11:45 PM   #2
9mmMike

My 870's wear 20" rifle-sighted barrels. The one that I use the most has a set of Ashley Outdoors big dot sights on it. The other is still stock.
I really like the Ashleys. I have heard of many folks using them on pistols and how fast they are to aquire but I like to be very accurate with my pistol and never found the Ashley's to work well for me.
On the 870 however, they are perfect. Fast to aquire, good cheek weld helps here, and that big dot on the front seems to be magnetized to point towards escaping clays.
I will likely put a set on the other 870 when I have the scratch to do so.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old March 23, 2002, 06:02 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1, it's like asking what vehicle to get. What's the mission? Are slugs an option?

I use peep sights, mine are Williams and Lyman, with the apertures removed most of the time. The original GR was just this.

OTOH, much good work has been done with just a bead.My HD 870 wears a peep because it doubles as a slug gun for deer. It needs it not as a pure D house gun.

2, Lots of options, including fiber optics and radioactive ones that glow in the dark. Look around and match the sight to your mission. Caca and Giggles is not very specific.

I've shot an 870 with slugs and a red dot sight. Sorry, can't recall the make. It was OK.
Old March 23, 2002, 09:25 AM   #4
Kevinch

I bought a well used, but mechanically excellent, 870 Wingmaster about 2 years ago that is sitting in the safe waiting for me to collect the funds together & convert it into a Home D gun (seems like everytime a get a few $$ together, I buy another gun!).

Anyway, I am considering either a dot sight or a rear ghost/front rifle set-up, & am leaning towards the latter. If I do ultimately decide on the ghost ring, it will definetly be the MMC SHOTGUN GHOSTRING. I have a set of their sights on a Makarov pistol, & can't say enough about them. Definetly a very sturdy adjustable, & the shotgun unit is also click windage adjustable. It's also available with a Tritium bar below the aperture.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old March 23, 2002, 10:44 AM   #5
Edward429451

I've thought about the GR sight option. Cant yet justify the expense. I can hit reliably out to about 60 yards with slugs and just a bead sight, with an 18" barrel.

If I knew I could extend that range with GR sights, I'd buy em' for sure. So many accessories, so little cash...