The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2017, 11:06 AM   #26
HiBC

A lot of folks load bottle neck virgin brass with no sizing .I prefer running the expander ball through just to make the hole round.Best to not use the bullet to straighten neck dings.
Your AI dies are not going to contact the case body much anyway.You do not want to bump back anything,IMO.
After fireforming,you may want to check length and case mouth squareness(eyeball). A light cut with a trimmer for squareness is good.

This is really not a big deal. Ackley intended for factory loads to be fireformed.
If you make the equivalent of factory loads,you should be fine.
On your 120 gr bullets...What I would have to do is buy bullets and try them.Sometimes I have bought bullets and said "Now that's not going to work!"
My Ackley fireforming has been straightforward and trouble free.I have done mine in Mausers and mostly in 257 Roberts AI and 30-06 AI.
I'm not sure about Cartridge Overall length in your 99 magazine..
If you have to seat bullets deep enough to make mag length,sometimes you run out of bullet cylindrical diameter and you start pushing the ogive into the neck.Thats no good.Those 120 flat bases would work in my 257. I cant say for sure about your .250.
The cases I saw that were gas crushed were brought to me with a "What does this?" question. It was a 22-250 AI. He was using some light boat tail short bullet. It was also a fairly light fire form load. It was a tight twist barrel,maybe 1 in 7. I gave him some 69 gr bullets and told him to load a mid range vs light load. It solved his problem. A very short boat tail bullet can be driven clear of the neck before a case being fireformed obturates. Some gas gets trapped between the case and the chamber.The case looks gas crushed.
I think if you can fit them in the magazine,120's will be fine. A flat base 100 would be fine.
I use up partial boxes of odd bullets.Once I scored old boxes of 117 gr round nose bullets.with lots of dust on the boxes.Cheap. The shop owner had them a long time.
Fireforming AI's is just fun range time. Do pay attention,but its really not a big deal.
Old October 19, 2017, 12:12 PM   #27
ocharry

hmmm,,,never thought about to long and mag length,,,good point,,they also have 100gr and 115gr flat base,,,100gr will work,,,thought about getting a couple different bullets anyway,,just to see what it likes best

ok,,,i think i can get this done,,,prolly run to graffs tomorrow and get some stuff and get this underway.....would like to get this sorted out before deer season,,,i just might try it out and get some blood on it ,,lol

thx again guys,,,as it always is for me a pleasure to listen and learn

ocharry