The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
RamItOne

Another school shooting.... Stopped quickly

School resource officer shoots shooter in head.
Happened today, haven't seen anything on the TV yet.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/s.../?nmredir=true

Maybe we can have a thread compiling these types of events so we can easily access them when trying to give others good examples of why we want to keep our firearms. If the MODs like the idea feel free to change the title of my post.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 31, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2
mj246

No offense, but I'm not sure that you read or understood the whole article. It said that the boy who was shot in the neck (not the head) was the victim and that the resource officer apprehended the suspect, not that he shot him. It then goes on later to say that the incident was likely due to an ongoing altercation between the two students. It sounds like there was only one shot fired at one student and the suspect left, only to be apprehended a few minutes later by the officer.

I'm glad that it was not some sort of massacre and definitely agree that cases exist and out there and should be spread where armed guards/citizens stop a threat before more damage is done. However, it appears that this particular case does not actually fit that criteria for our purposes.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Ike666

Unless you have another source, this story seems to say one kid shot another kid and the shooter kid was apprehended by the SRO.

It doesn't sound like a mass shooting in the making and the arrest occurred after the shooting.

Now, my only source is the link you provided, so my apologies if I've got the particulars wrong.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:03 PM   #4
BarryLee

I do not mean to sound crass or dismissive, but this is all too common in certain Atlanta communities. I think this is a prime reason that many in the community are calling for more gun control and are very supportive of Mr. Obama’s proposed policies. I personally believe there are a number of other factors that need to be looked at beyond gun control, but I suppose you can see why many parents may support it.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 31, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5
RamItOne

Yeah I clearly didn't read the entire article, saw it on a FB post of a media person I follow and took most of my info from what they said, was out getting flu meds and on my iPhone. Ill be more thorough next time.

Still would like a thread to pool incidents with positive outcomes.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old February 1, 2013, 11:42 AM   #6
jimpeel

SOURCE

Quote:
Armed Officer Disarmed Atlanta School Shooter
After young gunman shot 14-year-old, say police
By John Johnson, Newser Staff

Posted Jan 31, 2013 6:50 PM CST

(Newser) – The 14-year-old boy who was shot at an Atlanta school today is doing fine and is expected to be released from the hospital tonight, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. A fellow student is in custody, and police think a specific dispute between the two of them led to the shooting. Also of note: Police say an armed school resource officer—of the type the NRA is pushing—disarmed the suspect minutes after the shooting, though he happened to be off-duty at the time, reports AP.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old February 7, 2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Levant

Quote:
but I suppose you can see why many parents may support it.
As a parent, I don't at all see why parents support more gun control. If you love your children and you want them safe, wouldn't you want something done that would actually help rather than something that actually makes it even more dangerous for their children? We all know that rich gun-controllers send their kids to top private schools that have armed guards.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; February 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM.