The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 12, 2012, 06:35 AM   #1
deerslayer303

Dura Coat?

I'm thinking of having one of these '58's Dura Coated in a Matte Black. Kinda want to mimic the look of the matte finish Uberti puts on the 1873 SAA. Do you guys think Dura Coat will hold up to the soapy scubbing and frequent cleaning and all the residue from firing. Or is Parkerizing the way to go. The blue finish is very pretty, but I plan to have one of these things on my hip every time I go into the woods next year and I don't want a shiny finish. The .50 cal smoke pole with be for 50 plus yards and the '58 with be for 50 (err well maybe 30 lol) and under.
Old January 12, 2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

DS

Applied properly (and that is the key) I think DuraCoat is nearly as hard as the finish on a car.

I have always wondered if the matt finish (Millenium) takes stains more readily than the traditional firearm finishes.

That finish does not appeal to me personally but it s merely a person thing and admittedly I don't plan to ever use the pistol that way you plan.

(I baby my pistols pretty much.)
Old January 12, 2012, 07:59 AM   #3
deerslayer303

Thanks Doc, I see alot of pics of Dura Coat on the web but have never seen the finish in person. I think the '58 will look cool in that finish but thats just me. Of course I will only do one this way But you know it would be nice to have a finish to were every time I touch it my firearm OCD doesn't take over and I have to wipe it down like I just commited a crime
Old January 12, 2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

Yup!

Quote:
But you know it would be nice to have a finish to were every time I touch it my firearm OCD doesn't take over and I have to wipe it down like I just commited a crime
Truer words were never spoken.
Old January 12, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Kadmos

Just a personal opinion but for some reason duracoat looks much better on the web than in person. There is one guy at the local shows who sells guns done up in it and they look better than most, but most others I see it looks pretty bad.
Old January 12, 2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Not to be repetitive but...

....I am not a fan of the finish but then I don't use my revolvers in a way that would benefit from the extra protection.
Old January 12, 2012, 04:47 PM   #7
deerslayer303

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to the gun show Sat Morning so maybe I will see some done up in the finish. There is a shop in Charleston that does parkerizing.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:14 AM   #8
arcticap

The Duraheat coating withstands temperatures up to 1800 degrees.

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_heat.html