The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 14, 2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Firepower!

What is the maximum for these...

Hi
I would like to know what is the effective range for the following when used against a hostile and a bufallo size game:

7x57 mauser
7mm rem mag
.308 win
.243 win
.270 win
30-06
8mm mauser
9mm mauser
375 HH
300 wethy.

Thank you
Old May 14, 2008, 10:07 AM   #2
JP Sarte

If I was hunting Cape Buff I would have to go with the .416 Rigby. Range? The safest possible distance while still being able to make a good shot.

JP
Old May 14, 2008, 10:48 AM   #3
davlandrum

Reminds me of a question on my E-5 board from the CSM (Command Sergeant Major) -

"What is the maximum effective range of a hand gernade?"

"As far as I can throw it, Sergeant Major!"

Max range against a "hostile" is as far as you can hit them. Might not be a one-shot and down, but it might slow them down, or convince them they should find something else to do, or enrage them into a full frontal assault...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old May 14, 2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Firepower!

Hmmm... would any of these neuteralize a hostile at 1000 meters?

A buffalo over 200?

416 Rigby nice, but hard to get around here in Pakistan.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Wyldman

The .358 is rated as the MOST EFFECTIVE all-around caliber for Alaska as it will easily drop black bear, grizzly, moose, elk and buffalo but I suppose it depends on exactly what the game is that you are hunting. From what I have read and heard, Cape Buffalo are a game animal that you want to drop immediately when you shoot them. In a situation like that, I would go with something like the .375 HH. Those drop elephants so I would say that it would be a pretty safe round to choose. But what do I know, I have never hunted Cape Buffalo or elephant.
Old May 14, 2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
against a hostile and a buffalo size game:
First off, I am going to assume you mean Cape Buffalo or Water Buffalo and not bison. Bison fall down pretty easy and are not known for being overtly aggressive.
7x57 mauser- 600 yds against a hostile, 100 yds max against a buffalo to give you enough penetration to try to make it through the internal organs.
7mm rem mag- 1000 yds against a hostile, 200 yds max against a buffalo
.308 win- 800 yds against a hostile, 100 yds max against a buffalo
.243 win- 700 yds against a hostile, don't even think about using it against a buffalo
.270 win- 800 yds against a hostile, 100 yds max against a buffalo
30-06- 1000 yds against a hostile, 200 yds max against a buffalo
8mm mauser- with European style loads, 1000 yds against a hostile, 200 yds max against a buffalo
9mm mauser- 500 yds max against a hostile, 150 yds against a buffalo
375 HH- 600 yds against a hostile because of trajectory considerations, 300 yds max against a buffalo. BTW, in some countries in Agrica, the 375 H&H is the minimum allowed against buffalo, others call for a 40-caliber.
300 wethy. 1000 yds against a hostile, 200 yds against a buffalo
Old May 14, 2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Wyldman

Quote:
375 HH- 600 yds against a hostile because of trajectory considerations, 300 yds max against a buffalo. BTW, in some countries in Agrica, the 375 H&H is the minimum allowed against buffalo, others call for a 40-caliber.
Interesting ... I didn't know that. I honestly would have expected a .375 HH to be more lethal on BIG game at longer ranges.

I am just curious ... where did you find these stats? I ask because I would be interested in studying other similar stats (on handguns, etc.).
Old May 14, 2008, 02:20 PM   #8
bluedog

hostile

I believe that Firepower was using the word 'hostile' as an adjective describing the buffalo size game....at least I hope he was, otherwise he should stay at home....no big game animal is worth having to shoot your way out of the hunting field with a bunch of hostiles.... :-) LOL It seems like Firepower may have limited big game hunting experience....there is no magic that can make a little gun reliably effective on big nasty critters....unless the tree is very sturdy and you are high enough that the critter can't reach you while you keeping pumping rounds into it! When there is any doubt, go BIG! Hostile Buffalo....are you kidding?.....use the biggest rifle you can handle and have a backup!!
Old May 14, 2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Firepower!

Yes bluedog I am very little big game experience. All big game is endangered or have been shot around here.

Thank you scroch for the stats.

I am thinking probably 375 would be ideal since I may be able to find a used rifle here and with luck some rounds..

Living in Pakistan is a big drag on gun collecting. Things are either not available or are too expensive. A glock costs 5000 us$!

I also need a rifle for HD in the moutains since I live in a remote mountain area where usually a gun fight is from one mountain to other.
Old May 14, 2008, 02:50 PM   #10
bluedog

My apologies Firepower....I did not intend to offend you....I sometimes take too much for granted and can be a bit too hasty with unwarranted sarcasm.
Old May 14, 2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Firepower!

No need to apologize. I really fall into little or no experince hunting category. Its just that I have an opportunity to hunt buffalo and a blue bull (nilgai) coming spring and I am just excited yet confused.

Excited because these are rare opportunities and confused because part of me is not ready to kill for pleasure. May be i am being stupid.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:34 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Of the listed cartridges, I'd call the .30-'06 the minimum. Then the Mausers, but I'd prefer the .375. I'd think that Weatherby ammo would be hard come by. Certainly the '06 would work for any personal defense against people, to 600 yards and more. Again, availability of ammo strikes me as a primary concern.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:43 AM   #13
Wyldman

Quote:
No need to apologize. I really fall into little or no experince hunting category. Its just that I have an opportunity to hunt buffalo and a blue bull (nilgai) coming spring and I am just excited yet confused.

Excited because these are rare opportunities and confused because part of me is not ready to kill for pleasure. May be i am being stupid.
I don't think you are being stupid at all. You have an opportunity to go on an AWESOME hunt and are realistic enough to realize that you may not have the experience to know what the appropriate weapon would be for such a hunt and are asking for advice here. That sounds responsible to me, not stupid.

I hope you get to go on your hunt and I wish you luck on it. I would LOVE to have that opportunity myself someday.

"The stupider people think you are, the more surprised they are when you kill them."
Old May 15, 2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Firepower!

Thank you guys for invaluable advice. Art is right about the ammo availability here for these big calibers. I guess I am going buy a decent 3006. There are two in market. One is Remington and the other is some German I can recall the name but its with engravings.

Wyldman....thank you