The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 23, 2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Full-choke

Super Duper Groundhog Killer!

I spent my tax return wisely and invested in some gear for my TC Encore. The barrel is a 15" SS 22-250 Rem, scope base and rings are Leupold and the scope is a Simmons 2-6x32 LER Scope. The Pachmyar grips and Rock Mount Bi-pod I have had, but they were just too nice of a touch to leave out of the picture !

F-C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22-250 02.JPG (23.0 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 22-250 04.JPG (21.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 22-250 05.JPG (26.2 KB, 105 views)
Old April 23, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
hamr56

Looks great! You are going to have some fun with that, good-bye groundhogs.
Old April 28, 2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Full-choke

So I shot the super duper groundhog killer this weekend. The best I got out of it was two 2-shot touching groups at 50 yards. I drilled the living daylights out of a tamato sauce can at 50 yards too (pics to come later on today). I was pretty impressed when it was all said and done...can't wait to nail a whistle pig with it now!

F-C
Old April 30, 2008, 05:46 PM   #4
sureshots

NICE

NIce Rig. Looks like lots of fun in the future. 22-250 cal. is A good one. One word of caution. WEAR hearing protection with this one. I forgot one time and my ears rang for at least one week.
Old May 1, 2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Full-choke

Yea, I was out at my brother's shooting and he commented that "It sounded like someone shot a gun off right behind the house." And I was a good 350-400 yards behind the house at the creek...Thank goodness I wasn't stupid and brought the muffs along.

I have been impressed with it so far...I'm looking forward to doing some hunting with it but I don't it will happen this weekend as OH is supposed to get more cruddy weather!!

F-C
Old May 1, 2008, 12:41 PM   #6
ELMOUSMC

Very nice rig when you get it tuned in what are you expecting from it? range,accuracy and so on?What are you planning to shoot out of it,bullet,powder ect.factory or custom loads? The reasons for all the questions is 1 of my shooting buddies is thinking about getting 1 almost exactly like yours and I am sure he would be interested in seeing what you had to say.Again nice rig good luck and good shooting ELMOUSMC
Old May 1, 2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Full-choke

Well, I am going to custom load eventually but for now I am shooting 40 grain Winchester elcheapos (40 round bulk boxes) and it likes them. I spent about 10 rounds sighting it in last weekend and getting comfortable with it. After that it produced 2 shots touching, twice. I haven't officially benched it yet to really see what she's got. I did however drill a Hunt's Tomato Sauce can with one shot at 50 yards which impressed my brother. I haven't pushed it past 50 yards yet but if the weather holds out on Sunday I am planning on taking it a step further out to 100. I would like to eventually get comfortable out to 150 yards, I think it would still have killing power and be accurate enough for that. I think some of the 40 V-MAX's and possibly something like the Speer TNT bullets would be great fun meeting a groundhog at super speeds and close ranges. But, that will come later on I guess...

The sucker is loud though, and she does have a little bite in the grip. Either way I split it I couldn't be more thrilled with it's current performance and can't wait to take it out again. I would say one more box of the cheap stuff and I will be comfortable enough to take it hunting. This is my first time using a LER Scope so I am still kind of finicky while using it.

I will be the first to admit (and I have taken a lot of crap from folks on here from my stance) that I have never been a huge fan of the 22-250. It was the first time I ever got excited about the round when I put this hair-brained idea in my own head...and I don't regret it. The 22-250 is finally getting some respect and love from me that it has long deserved. I'm still not a fan of getting a rifle in it but the pistol is definitely a blast!

F-C
Old May 1, 2008, 05:18 PM   #8
ELMOUSMC

Have you tried shooting that LER scope with both eyes open.I have a M/N set up in the scout configuration with a simmons 2.5 LER and after a little practice the both eyes open method seems to work well for me.Thanks for the info I will pass it on,Again good luck and good shooting ELMOUSMC
Old May 2, 2008, 06:50 AM   #9
Full-choke

I have heard of doing that but didn't try it the other day. It might be something worth doing. I was getting more comfortable shooting it by the end of the afternoon it was just weird to get steady at first. I will say, that pistol would be 10x harder to shoot without the bipod, that is a must have for that rig.

F-C
Old May 12, 2008, 08:57 PM   #10
sureshots

I,ve got the encore rifle in heavy barrel(22-250) and love it. Its tame though compared to your pistol.
Old May 14, 2008, 09:16 AM   #11
UniversalFrost

use of the bipod will help out a lot and also use both eyes open for quicker target acquisition. I have a contender with the 14" barrel in 30/30 and that sucker kicks . If you don't already have it, go out and get the 48th or 47th edition of the lyman reloading manual along with T/C own reloading manual for 22-250. They list some nice loads for the rifle calibers shooting out of their pistol length barrels.

Anyway, congrats and go get some p-dogs!

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green