The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 17, 2015, 07:31 AM   #1
campingnights

Selling firearm questions

Been gone awhile, chemotherapy, and might have to sell off some guns. Im in Mich. Question to privately sell a rifle across state lines does it need to go to a FFL dealer? In a face to face sale here none of that garbage is needed. I am also assuming that my Remmy and conversion cylindar can be shipped separately? Like I received them? Thanks

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old July 17, 2015, 08:04 AM   #2
noelf2

Quote:
Question to privately sell a rifle across state lines does it need to go to a FFL dealer?
Yes, it needs to be transferred through a dealer. An exception would be if the rifle qualifies as a curio/relic (C&R). If so, it can be sold directly to a C&R FFL holder (collector, not a dealer). Another exception is if it qualifies as an antique (or replica of an antique). Then no transfer is required.

Quote:
I am also assuming that my Remmy and conversion cylindar can be shipped separately?
That would be advisable, however, I doubt it's a requirement.
Old July 17, 2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
....Question to privately sell a rifle across state lines does it need to go to a FFL dealer? In a face to face sale here none of that garbage is needed?...
Note that a sale from a resident of one State to a resident of another must go through an FFL, even if they meet. You may not do a Face-to-Face sale without an FFL if the buyer is a resident of one State and the seller is a resident of another.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 17, 2015, 12:42 PM   #4
campingnights

Thanks guys. Just seems easier to limit it to Michigan face to face sales only I guess.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old July 17, 2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
Thanks guys. Just seems easier to limit it to Michigan face to face sales only I guess.
Unless you have a particularly high-dollar firearm with a limited number of people looking to buy something of that type (think Blaser rifle - very high dollar and you need a national audience to find just the right person wanting to buy one at that time), you are right - probably better just to stick with selling it locally.

Put your location in your profile and then put them up for sale here. You might just find a forum member who wants exactly what you have.
Old July 18, 2015, 05:58 AM   #6
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingnights
I agree. I live on the border of Indiana and Kentucky, and a lot of people on local trade groups live on either side of the river. I typically just limit it to in state people.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.