The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1
flashhole

45-70 brass - PMC vs Starline vs the others

I am curious if anyone has experience with both PMC and Starline brass for the 45-70 and can comment on the different products based on comparison. Is one better than the other?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 16, 2012, 10:21 AM   #2
grubbylabs

I think I am using Remington brass. It seems to work just fine for me.

Sorry I lied I load Winchester, I just looked a little bit ago while I was working on my room. But it still seems to work out just fine.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)

Last edited by grubbylabs; September 16, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3
ruger357w

yup. I'm using some remington, winchester and hornady in my 45-70 at the moment with no difference.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
flashhole

I have Remington, Winchester and Federal all of which have been fired many times. The only ones I've had to retire so far are the Federal's because the primer pockets got too sloppy. It's time to buy more and the best prices are for Starline and PMC.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 16, 2012, 01:43 PM   #5
hornetguy

I use starline, and have had no issues with it at all. I've got maybe three loadings on them so far, and they still chamber great, and primer pockets are still tight.
I don't load really hot loads, however. I expect they will last a long, long time.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:54 AM   #6
totaldla

Brass seems to last a long time for me - more than 10 loadings and going strong. Nickel plated Remington will crack at the case mouth first. You might want to be aware that some Hornady brass is 1/10" shorter to accommodate their funky bullet.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Edward429451

I'm using R-P & W-W brass mostly for 45/70 and have no problems with or can't really see any difference in the loads or accuracy or anything. I haven't split a case yet and some of them have been loaded upwards of 5 times.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Jbotto

Quote:
Brass seems to last a long time for me - more than 10 loadings and going strong. Nickel plated Remington will crack at the case mouth first. You might want to be aware that some Hornady brass is 1/10" shorter to accommodate their funky bullet.
I noticed this with Hornady brass in .44 mag too...