The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2012, 06:00 PM   #1
JD Powell

Enlarging ejection port. Marlin mod 60.

Hey folks,
This may be a stupid question, if so feel free to tell me.

I have an old Marlin model 60. (tube fed semi auto .22 rifle for those unfamiliar.) Unfortunately my fingers are way to big to insert cartridges single shot style through the ejection port. This is however a necessary action. What I would like to do is machine the top right side of the receiver directly above the ejection port back about 1/4". Just to where the groove for the scope mount starts. This would allow me much better access to the chamber. For loading individual shells.

From my mechanical understanding of the firearm, this seems doable. The top inside of the receiver is flat, and does not seem to directly affect/guide the bolt in such a way that would be a problem. It would still leave enough room up front for my forward scope ring.

Parts for these old guns are all over ebay, so I could pick up a spare receiver and barrel cheap to screw around with.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Old February 7, 2012, 06:39 PM   #2
g.willikers

Why not just use some kind of tool to insert the round, like a skinny clothes pin type?
Old February 7, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
JD Powell

That's what I have to do now. I hold the cartridge rim between the tip of my finger and the blade of my pocket knife. Then try to find the chamber with the tip of the bullet before I drop it. It's mighty inconvenient.