The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 22, 2011, 07:02 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

can we talk pocket watches in this section... as an accessory to CAS ???

looking at buying an original "railroad era" pocket watch... the ones I'm looking at at mostly open faced, & of the better name brands...

I read some where that Illinois brand pocket watches did better than all other brands on a railroad test for time keeping... I'm hoping to buy a running watch or two, & have them serviced, so they keep good time & wear one for CAS, & maybe one for dressier non work days outside of CAS

anyone got expirience with any specific watch makers you've been happy withy their work ???

any reason I wouldn't want to replace the crystal with a newer non scratched or yellowed crystal, while it's getting serviced

so was silver or gold cases more period correct for working men like cowboys ???

I'm kinda at a loss for watch chains & fobs... most period watches aren't sold with them... any suggestions there ???
Old November 22, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

Get ready to spend some money.

A good Hamilton, Am. Waltham, Elgin or Illinois lever set railroad watch will cost you. Most of them seen at gun shows, etc., have been treated badly- broken staffs, cracked faces, rusty internals, never serviced, etc. If you don't know what you are looking for, I'd recommend buying from a reputable watch shop specializing in pocketwatches, and they are very, very hard to find!

Try pocketwatchsite.com, as they have a lot of good reviews and I've ordered some stuff from them.

Also, a good, full cleaning and service will start at $200 and up- I paid $300 earlier this year for a full service on a 1918 Elgin that I carry daily.

Do you want a watch of the period? If you are looking for a quality 1880's "biscuit" watch, they are a bit cheaper, but they don't keep as good time as their newer brethren. A cowboy would be better served with a "hunting" case, as it protects the face and crystal of the watch during work, and would be likely more authentic to what he would carry than an open face. That's my two cents- I'm not a collector of them or anything- I just like pocketwatches.
Old November 22, 2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

well maybe I got screwed... but I just bought my 1st one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260894268313...84.m1439.l2649

I suppose cowboys may have used a hunter style more often... but I thought even a ladies pocket watch ( I don't know the difference really, other than they seem fancier ) could be in order it could be my "mommas", or my brides, given to me to use while on the trail...

I suppose I'll need a vest to put the watch into???

can't imagine cowboys on the trail carried a vest pocket watch with a traditional chain & fob, like a townie ???

maybe I'll make up a leather braided watch "chain" & fob it with a locket picture of my "mail order bride" ???
Old November 22, 2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Andy Griffith

I think that's a great deal if it's been serviced recently. The less expensive watches will still cost the same to service.

The nickel silver cases don't tend to bring as much as the other ones. I don't typically think about those much- but they are good watches- not like a 21 or 23 jewel, but a good watch. I should have mentioned them before, but I seldom think about them.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm suprised this thread didn't get more action ???

anyway I bought my 2nd watch... an Elgin 15 jewel from 1913 in a gold filled hunter case... it's supposed to be keeping good time... I'm now looking at vests that will work with my chinks I bought last fall...

will probably pick up a "t-bar" chain for fancier times... but still trying to figure out a more cowboy ( less townie ) look for the chain... have seen braided horse hair watch chains... that or leather might be the look I go for...

any thoughts on that ???
Old December 6, 2011, 12:05 PM   #6
mykeal

Well, it is a Black Powder and Cowboy Action SHOOTING forum, after all....
Old December 6, 2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Hawg

I doubt many cowboys had such frivolties as a watch.
Old December 6, 2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

well as far as "playing the game" it is one of the group of items listed as needing so many off of the list to qualify for the classic cow boy class isn't
Old December 6, 2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Hawg

You only need five of these.

Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no straw or palm hats allowed