The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Mac1

Need help with my sight.

Kinda ironic that I just went into glasses 3 weeks ago, but that ain't my issue. But I do have a Colt Signature series 1861 Army that I inherited from my Dad. It has never been shot. It also does not have a front sight. Never did. I called Colt to try and remedy this, but was told Colt did not make the signature series (bummer), that Black Powder Arms made them to Colt Specs. They were subsequently bought out by Henry repeating arms. A call to them resulted in leaving a message that I have not had a response to. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance, Mac.
Old March 1, 2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Mac

Go to Dixie Gun Works website. You may find that they have a sight that is close enough to fit.

You might also try Numrich Arms. Actually might try Numrich first. I have never done business with them, but they are big.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; March 1, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:10 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Your Sig series should use a blade style front sight. Any good gunsmith should be able to fabricate one in short order from some brass stock.

I fabricated this sight, it's taller than the original to zero the gun at 25 yds. You want the blade to be a light press fit in the slot cut in the barrel. I use a product called Rocksett to secure it.

Old March 1, 2011, 09:14 AM   #4
gearhounds

Get one fabbed by a good smith, preferably one that caters to accurate period details.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Noz

The "good old boys" used to use pieces cut from pesos for front sight replacement.
Old March 1, 2011, 10:05 AM   #6
sewerman

an ole brass key works good too.

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old March 1, 2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Just checked Numrich

They are out of stock.

The DGW EP1800 is in stock for 3.50 and I know it works in an ASM. You will need to buy something else from them at the same time because their shipping on a 3.50 sight is about seven bucks.

Making your own begins to make a lot of sense.
Old March 1, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Noz

I've seen an 1860 with the milled edge of the peso facing the shooter. Gives the glare free effect of the modern sights.
Old March 1, 2011, 02:39 PM   #9
arcticap

This outfit may be out of the sight blade for the Army, but they list many other Colt percussion parts:

http://www.coltparts.com/parts1.html
Old March 1, 2011, 11:25 PM   #10
Mac1

Thanks for the input and replies. I will get up with DGW. I dealt with them years ago and kinda got out of the cap 'n ball shooting. I'm getting back in to them this year. (I still have a 1976 catalog, it was my Christmas wish catalog back then). Don't know if I'll shoot the sig or not, but I want it complete. I have 7 others to shoot. Thanks again, Mac.