The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Rufkarma

Building an AR-15 Pistol

OK Kids, I tried this at home . . .

Built an AR-15 pistol with the shorty buffer tube. After several hundred rounds it still does not return to battery correctly after each round; maybe only 1 out of 10 rounds work what I like to call "the right way".

The question is . . . is it the buffer tube? Would a full length pistol buffer tube make the difference?

"Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away . . . and you'll have their shoes."
Old January 2, 2009, 09:37 PM   #2
sadsack

It could be the buffer tube, buffer and spring combination. Really need more information.
Can you hit the forward assist and chamber the round?
What length barrel and gas tube do you have, and what ammuntion are you using?
With the shorter chamber to gas port lengths, and a powder with a too slow burning rate, peak pressure of the cartridge can retard the action just enough to cause problems. The case is still expanded against the chamber walls while the gas is pushing on the bolt carrier.
Since it is chambering the first round ok by hand you might try this. Pull the bolt back just enough to catch the case and see if short stroking it causes the same problem your having.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:45 AM   #3
AMX

Yah, a lot of people have had reliability issuse with those short pistol buffers/tubes. You should use the longer pistol tube with the carbine buffer and spring. It also gives you a rest for your cheek, so you can use your sights properly.
Old January 3, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Rufkarma

More Info

Thanks SadSack,

I can correct the prob with the forward assist 100% of the time.

Bbl length is shorty Kitty Kat. Had the lower transferred to me as a "Pistol Lower" so can never put a stock or forward pistol type handgrip on it. Use Remington .223 55gr.

I'll look at the cartridges next shoot.

I like the current buffer tube length but would prefer "nirvanna" at the range.