The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 8, 2007, 05:29 PM   #1
bushidomosquito

Cleaning kit in a magazine tube.

Would you buy a cleaning kit that was housed in an empty magazine tube? Why doesn't anyone make them? I brought this up on another thread where people were throwing all sorts of ideas out and decided to make one. I'll be using an old used G17 mag but it should work with any gun that uses a magazine. Just a matter of plugging the feed lip end and finding a brush, short two piece cleaning rod or bore snake, bottle of cleaner/lube and some patches and Q-tips that all fit inside. Then cut a piece of foam to slide snug into the tube and make cutouts for all the items to insert into. Remove whatever locks the basepad to the tube and glue it onto the bottom of the foam insert.Then paint the whole thing red so as not confuse it with a real mag. You should be able to grab the basepad and pull out a foam block inlayed with cleaning supplies. The thing that got me thinking about this is how little from my ginormous cleaning kit (which fills half of my range bag) I actually use and when I saw everything to clean a pistol on the table next to a magazine I knew it would all fit in there. Now it will take up exactly one mag pocket of space in the bag and I suppose would be perfect for those who like to assemble bug out bags. It will also fit perfectly anywhere else a magazine is intended to go.

"Bush is listening, use big words."