The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 15, 2005, 09:10 AM   #176
Old Dragoon

AW Shucks, Kevin, I'm Blushing! Thanks again. You will do fine and if you need some pointers, just ask and I'll tell you what I did.

Mike,
I have small hands and the 1851 Colt Navy is one of my favorites. it has balance, and just enough heft and it is very confortable in my hand...more so that the '58 Rem. And Hickok owned two of them, cap and ball to the end of his life. I have owned several original and a couple repro '51 Navies and I kick mysrelf for selling any of them. All of the originals were conversions to 38 CF. I love the '51 Navy, I don't laik the '60, too slick and round. Love those Octagonal bbl's!

Yeah there is another one in my future too.
There are some nice ones available on Gunbroker. Maybe not at $140.00, but close. That Cabels's gun sound like a good deal.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:11 AM   #177
Low Key

Mike, I hope the purple pills work for you. I've heard good things about how they straighten out the ol stomach. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Kevin, I don't know any LEO's that don't have stomach problems. My dad had an ulcer and my brother is working on one. I got one started a few years back, but I changed my lifestyle and diet and since then it feels a lot better.

back to guns...I like the 51 navy, I think it's a sturdy looking piece for an open top. I don't have one so I don't know the do's and don'ts, but I'll bet they're fun to shoot!
Old November 15, 2005, 09:38 AM   #178
Old Dragoon

Mike,
Check this out.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=39923165
your '51 and possibly a lower price, shoot I just might bid on it, but not if you do.
Old November 15, 2005, 12:38 PM   #179
Remington kid

Old Dragoon, That gun on the Broker is a good deal so far but the reason I like Cabellas so well is that If anything is wrong they take it back and give you another or your money back with no hassels. I really like dealing with them and they have plenty of my moneuy in there bank over the years,
The one on Cabellas isn't a brass frame but it has a brass strap running around the back of the frame and grip area. Is this typical of the original 51 or should I just try to find an all steel one? Mike
Old November 15, 2005, 02:33 PM   #180
Old Dragoon

I got ya on the Cabels's thing and that is a good thing for them to do.

I believe that the 1851 originals were all brass back strapped and one piece gripped. The backstrap was often silver plated. There were steel back strapped Mason-Richards conversions, though rare, so i suspect the those original colt's had steel back straps also, The Mason-Richards Conversions were made from 1860 44 Colts. I owned one with the iron backstrap and a couple with the brass backstraps.

You will not over load the '51 with 36 cal even if you can fill the chamber full and cram the ball down just enough to clear the forcing cone. Also I don't think
that the brass backsrtap would ever be a problem with loosening up with shooting. I have never had a backstrap loosen, the barrels on Colts are another story entirely. I bought a new Open-Top from Cimarron when they first came out. I could not shoot a cylinder full of shells without the barrel loosening, (maybe that is a good thing if you are using a drop in cyl. LOL LOL LOL!) I took it to a gunsmith and he could not fix it. I should have sent it back, but I sold it cheap and told the buyer exactly why I was selling it. Hence all my 44 colt brass. LOL
Same deal with the first Cimarron Smith the latch would not stay tight. I sold that one the same way. I won't have one that won't stay tight. Luckily the '58 won't have those particular problems.

In defence of Cimarron/Uberti Clones, I had one of their 45 LC Colt clones. I was shooting with my nephew and we were shooting my 44 mag and the 45LC at the same time I loaded up the 45LC and stepped to the line to shoot. The first shot was a killer, loud and big kick, next ok, next Loud and big, next ok, next loud and big and the sixth shot ok. I was cussing the CCI Blazer 45LC ammo....until I tried to unload, there were two different color of cartridges in the gun. I had loaded 3 44 Mags along with 3 45LC into the Colt Clone. because I was taling to my nephew as i loaded and we had both boxes of ammo open. I sent the gun back to Cimarron to be checked out and it was still in spec's I was really lucky that day.
Now I only open the box of shells that I am using with the gun I am shooting...to a fault.

The Lord protects fools and children and I have been in both catagories more than once.
Old November 15, 2005, 04:05 PM   #181
Remington kid

Old Dragoon, I'm still doing some thinking on the 1851 and that is one of the reasons for all my questions.
I sure wish someone would build a .36 Remington like the original. Lymon did years ago but they quit.The one's they have now are nothing but the .44 frame with a .36 cylinder and barrel. If they made the smaller framed one then I would have one.
The only reason Uberti and Pietta started building the Rem in .36 is beacuse so many people have asked for them.A few years ago you couldn't find one unless you were willing to buy an original.
Thanks again for all your info, Mike
Old November 15, 2005, 04:22 PM   #182
MPP1423

dragoon,if i have a question you know i'll ask.lol.i just dont know that im that inclined to do a great job like yours but im going to give it a shot.

low key,your right about the pol ice and stomach problems! and i need to change my diet as well.i take prevecid but it only works for a little while then it comes back.oh well,i guess i'll make it.lol.

guys,let me ask yall something.whats yalls take on the brass frame .36's and .44's ? do yall think they are ok to just plink around with?i'd like to have one just to say i have one,what do yall think?
Old November 15, 2005, 04:49 PM   #183
Old Dragoon

Well, you don't have to drawfile the frame and bbl unless you really want the Proofs off. and with Birchwood-Casey's blue and rust remover the blue all comes off in about 3 coats, so that is relatively easy. I used Plum Brown from the same mfg. and I did 3 coats to even out the brown. Then I sanded the whole thing with 600 Grit just taking more off in places than other places. It is relatively easy too. Just follow the directions. When I started i didn't know the look i really wanted, first it was really brown and I knew I wanted it lighter and I found an old original on the net and it strucjk me that I needed just to take a little more of in places like the sharp edges and the places that it would wear in the holster and then I continued to the the place it is in the photos. Most of the time I spent, was in the Loading grooves in the frame and the recoil plate, the rest was a lot quicker. I did card it between brown coats,( before sanding) and after . w
When i got to the place i wanted I doused the whole thong with Magic Mystery topoil and let it set overnight to cure, then I cleaned it and relubed the pertinent parts.
Go for it. It is fun when you are done.
Old November 16, 2005, 09:07 AM   #184
Old Dragoon

Before and after

I thought you guys would like to see what I started with when I antiqued my Remmy. So I found the original pictures from the auction site.

Before Right

After Right

Before Left

After Left

I am going to a public indoor shooting range Sat morning to see how this Remmy shoots the new ammo.

I have the info on the loads now. 44 colt brass, Large Pistol primers, 5.0 Grn.s Unique (for 650 FPS) and a 248 grn bullet.

Also I found out that the moulds for the bullet are available as well as the bullets. The mould range from a dual cavity to a 4 cavity. They also sell a crimper and a luber/sizer that together lubes, sizes and crimps the brass.
OOOH! more places to spend my money.

If I can buy the cast bullets, that'll be the way I want to go.
The company will also reload your old brass cheaper than new box price.
However, I like to sit around on those cold winter night and hand load ammo with my old Ideal 310 44 handloader, I will buy the crimper/luber dies
Old November 16, 2005, 09:18 AM   #185
Low Key

Quote:
guys,let me ask yall something.whats yalls take on the brass frame .36's and .44's ? do yall think they are ok to just plink around with?
Kevin, The brass frame would be just fine for plinking. I wouldn't shoot your usual " Holy Crap! " loads that you use in your steel frame guns though, . Brass is a much softer metal and will stretch over time if you use heavy loads in it. I'd stick to the moderate to light loads just for fun and for the heavy loads, use the steel guns. BTW, did you survive the heavy weather, tornados and storms last night? I heard that Nashville took a good hit from that front that blew through. We had some good high wind here that kept me up most of the night but we survived with no damage on my place, anyway no damage I could see when I left out for work at 5:30 this morning.

Dragoon, someone who didn't know better would never pick those two pictures out as being the same gun. What a difference! Again, good job! I like the refinish!
Old November 16, 2005, 10:08 AM   #186
Remington kid

Low Key, The winds hit here about midnight and lasted up to daylight. Now we just have heavy rain. Looks like the folks in Ken-tuck got hit real hard yesterday.
Your right about the brass frames, If the loads are kept light they will last for many years. Mike
Old November 16, 2005, 10:20 AM   #187
MPP1423

Low Key,i Think Clarksville And Paris Took The Worst Hit! They Had A Lot Of Damage In Clarksville On Hwy 13,there Were A Few Injuries But No Deaths Thank Goodness!i Just Had A Lot Of Lightening And Wind But Not Real Bad.but It Is A Little Airish Out Right Now.

Dragoon,that Gun Really Looks Good And You Cant Tell That Those Guns Are The Same.very Good Job!!

Well,i Just Thought I'd Get Me A Brass Frame For The Hell Of It.if For Nothing Else Just A Sit Around Piece.i Knew Not To Load With My Power Loads.lol.but,i Didnt Know Much About These Frames And Just How Well They Would Hold Up.
Old November 16, 2005, 12:02 PM   #188
Low Key

It's good to hear that you guys made it through the storms.

Kevin, a brass frame gun would make a great wallhanger and you could take it down and shoot it too! Depending on what you like, you could shine it up with brasso and leave it brand new or dull down the blueing and patina the brass and take a screwdriver to the grips and gouge them up and make it look like it survived the civil war. Either way, it would get peoples attention.
Old November 16, 2005, 05:10 PM   #189
Remington kid

Not to change the subject guy's but has anyone heard anything from Steve? Hope he's alright. Mike
Old November 17, 2005, 09:38 PM   #190
MPP1423

Your Right Mike,he's Not Been On Here In A Bit.hope All Is Well.
Old November 17, 2005, 09:41 PM   #191
MPP1423

Well,i Think Im Going To Get Me An 1872 Open Top Or The Richard-mason Conversion,one Or The Other.ive Been Wanting One For Awhile Now And I Want It In .45 Schofield And The 7 1/2 " Barrel .what Do Yall Think?
Old November 17, 2005, 09:44 PM   #192
MPP1423

dragoon,when you take the cylinder out on your conversion does the breech ring come out also or can you just take out the cylinder?
Old November 17, 2005, 10:54 PM   #193
Old Dragoon

Breech Ring/recoil Shield comes out also.
It probably can be modified to remain in the gun. One would need to make the Channel/port just a bit bigger than I did mine. Cut into the pawl area of the recoil shield. then like the originals, put one screw thru the recoil ring into the frame opposite of the port. (I suppose that one could silversolder it in place or braze, but then to replace the rebounding firing pin would be a witch.) The the cylinder could be removed without the recoil ring. Not sure that it would not bind, but even if it did, it can be tuned up so it won't.

Why would you want to remove the cylinder without the recoil shield. It is made to float until loaded, there is a star not unlike that of the star on a S& W cylinder, that located cartridges and......provides the correct headspace. When empty, ther is a little play between the recoilring and the Cylinder. Made that way so you can look and see if it's loaded from the side.

As you can see below, there is enough room for a screw across from the port. also the port can be cut to coinside with the pawl diameter. Also look at the star on the cylinder. I purposely cut the port small enough to just clear 44 Colt brass. it can easily be widened like the lines show..

Old November 18, 2005, 01:41 AM   #194
MPP1423

well,the reason for removing is to have spare cylinders already loaded up kinda like in the movie pale rider.just a thought.lol
Old November 18, 2005, 08:40 AM   #195
Low Key

swapping loaded cylinders

That's why I bought my first 58 was because you could quickly switch out the spent cylinder with a fresh one, it's the original speed loader!
Old November 18, 2005, 08:43 AM   #196
Old Dragoon

That is the idea without the port cutting.

The Kirst is designed for the Recoil shield and the cylinder to come out as a unit, then drop the cylinder and add the new fully loaded one, or reload the cylinder. It works really slick that way. and you can drop out/in the cylinder and recoil Shield in seconds. The unit loads and unloads into the frame very easily, and you can do the Pale Rider thing.Also you do not have to cut the port in the frame if you go that route.
Something of note: the Kirst Konverter is machined so that it can be installed on half cock. on half cock the hand moves back somewhat and the special machining on the back of the recoil shield/ring allows the unit to slip in freely. The R & D doesn't have this machining so if your hand is not completely out of the way , it 's harder to install, just like the original cylinder is a little tricky to install .

I just wanted to not have to remove the unit to reload. I'm going to buy the ejector for the gun too.

Even with being ported, I can still do the Pale Rider switch if I want.

FYI if I open the groove in the frame to Kirsts dimensions, my '58 can use the 45LC cylinder and Recoil shield too. it can then be a 2 caliber gun. 44 Rem. loaded 44 Colt, or 45 LC.
Old November 18, 2005, 10:38 AM   #197
MPP1423

yea,more and more i look at both conversions(r&d/kirst)i like the kirst better.they make one i see with the gate on it now for about 300.00.the ejector is a little high at 100.00 but maybe.
Old November 19, 2005, 02:51 AM   #198
gmatov

Man, this is WAY off the subject, but to all you cops up there with stomach problems, ask your doctor about Helicobacter-pylori, and to test you for it.

Initial test is similar to a blow in the tube breathalyzer. You catch the bug's farts. Then they take a sample of the stomach fluids, see if you have the bacteria. If you have, they prescribe 2 weeks of antibiotics with bismuth, and you are cured.

No 1500 bucks per year of Zantac or the other quack placebos.

I'm not medical in any way. I have told several coworkers who were ready to undergo stomach surgery of this, their doctors checked, gave them antibiotics WITH bismuth, aka, Pepto Bismol, stomach surgery cancelled.

Any doctor who does not consider this is, in my opinion, a quack, or more interested in keeping you coming back to have your prescription renewed.

Cheers,

George
Old November 21, 2005, 02:04 AM   #199
gmatov

Tinker,

It took me this long to see your post "Paper Based Micarta".

Actually, there are 2 types of Micarta, the trademarked Westinghouse product.

One is Linen cloth.

The other is paper, specifically Kraft paper, brown wrapping paper.

Neither is made with epoxy. Both are made with varnish, heat cured.

Now, both are brownish in color, so I have to assume that the Kraft paper, brown, and the linen cloth, supposedly white, will both be brown. This must mean that the varnish is amber in color.

So, if you were to use a water based clear polyurethane with a linen paper, or any other paper, possibly, you would wind up wiith a stock that looks ivory like.

Cheers,

George
Old November 21, 2005, 08:43 AM   #200
Old Dragoon

I like my Kirst konverter, but the next one I do will have the gate on it. I will buy the ejector also Though I had only one small problem with ejecting shells this weekend. one didn't fire so had to be pushed out soooooo I used the rammer lever. Very carefully but it worked well and the shell wasn't that stuck, just the normal swell that happens when you shoot the first shot.
I shot 50 shots On Saturday morning got a group going and am working on moving the group. Then fired the cylinder full of BP 40 Grn' Elephant BP 2Ffg and .451 ball. What a hoot that was, then I came homn
e and read the BP Rambling post and now I'm hooked on BP shooting.

Yesterday I went to a local SASS shoot to look around and found a couple of my friends there. I shot some of my BP cartridges 37 Grn, 2FFg with a .451 ball,
I have no idea how they will group or even if they will but the first few did well enough to hit the target more than I missed.
The targets were steel shilloutes and I only shot close. The first Five is when i had a mis-fire due to my ignorance of "proper Head Space", The rim was insufficient thickness so it didn't go boom. I can say my first SASS shooting station was 3 hits 1 miss and 1 misfire. I just stood and fired after that and had more hits than misses.Target was soooo big and soooo close I just pointed the gun in the general direction like one would in a fight. 3 hits and one "make it take cover" wasn't too bad for this old man, the very first line.. I need to go back and sit down and work out the pattern with these too.

As I comminsurated in a previous post I do not like the 5 grns. Unique loaded in the 44 Rem.colts. too much unburnt powder at 15 yards. It peppered the target. I'll use the bullets and load as much BP as I can stuff in the cases. about 25-30 grns max I am guessing. I can cut down the 44 Rem Mag Brass to get 35 Grns and the longer bullet to fit the cylinder. That is the equivalent of the old 45 LC. 35 grns and 250 grn bullet. this will be 35 grns and a 248 Grn bullet.

Did I say I liked the 40 Grn and .451 ball in the BP cylinder. I couldn't find #10 Rem. Caps so I bought #10 CCI and they seem to work fine. What a hoot to shoot in BP mode.
Yeah the cleaning is a bit more, but I clean my guns everytime I shoot anyway so it's no big deal.

Fun weekend, and the new '58 comes today or tomorrow. Life is good.