The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 10, 2005, 10:06 PM   #151
MPP1423

steve,your right about all of that!im with the metro nashville park police and we do the very same job as metro nashville pd with same powers but we mainly do our policing in the 115 parks in nashville w/50 % of those in the projects.we have our shooting,robberies,stabbings,and lots and lots of drugs!! we slow down a little this time of year cause its cold outside but we stay busy enough.our down side is that we are always by ourself on calls with no back up close but metro pd which has no clue about the areas in our parks so they are not much help when your in a fight.most of the time my closest backup,another metro park officer ,maybe 30 min away and thats running code 3(lights and siren).but,anyway the metro pd has computers in their cars and your right the dispatchers expect them to stay off the radio and not bother them.yea,right.we work with the pd all of the time either backing them up or them us so we share each others gripes.
Old November 11, 2005, 06:13 AM   #152
Low Key

I'm no expert, but i know my way around a computer well enough to get done what I need to get done. They can be very distracting sometimes, especially when they don't work right , worse for your driving skill than a cell phone! They can also be good for giving you high blood pressure and make you say bad words! I wonder how many LEO's have actually tossed theirs out the cruiser window?? LOL!
Old November 11, 2005, 08:46 AM   #153
Old Dragoon

Computers....and..

I have been working on computers since 1989, but when I bought my first PC I knew I had better learn to work on the guts and software. That is not to say that I haven;t wanted to pull my hair out and as for those bad words......no comment! I do know that these wonderful contrapsions do EXACTLY what you tell them to. They don't do "OH S---S or do-overs very well.

Now back to the good stuff.

I have my '58 Rem stripped and polished and ready to brown. Boy it was tough to take that nice blue off. Not physically, but mentally. And when it came to the Konverter....whooeeee. Glad I did the soul searching before I started. Actually the blue came off rather easily.

Now I have a question. How far to take the browing?

Just enough to discolor it or go for real brown. Maybe it is a personal preference and I'll do as much as I think looks good. My old rifles I built in the 60's and 70's were as brown as I could get them. They all looked 200 years old.

What are your thoughts. I'll start this tomorrow as I have the weekends off.
Old November 11, 2005, 09:11 AM   #154
Remington kid

Old Dragoon, When I did mine I went to several sites that sell the originals and just drooled all over my key board looking at them but there was no way I could buy any of them. Some of them cost twice what my truck coast
Anyway, you can get a good idea of just what you want yours to look like from the originals. Mike
Old November 11, 2005, 09:16 AM   #155
Old Dragoon

Yeah I just copied some pictures. I think I know the look I want. Not real dark but with the edges kinda lighter to simulate wear. If I get it too dark I can lighten it. but I prefer to get it just right on the way there. It's been several years since I browned a bbl ot lock. I'll take it easy and slow.
Thanks
Old November 11, 2005, 04:08 PM   #156
Old Dragoon

Patina for brass

WOW! I stumbled onto this when out surfing about a browning recipe. This is for brass. Lemon or lime juice and Apple Cider Vinegar about equal parts and a shimedigon of blk powder. Mix in a container enough to submerge the brass in. let set over night. I threw in the blk powder as I remembered that I used wet blk powder to put patina on my brass on my rifles. Well this works. It would probably work better if the brass is sanded with 600 grit first. I didn't sand my trigger guard, but it came out with a nice patina anyway.

Also I got the 44 Rem loaded Colt brass cartridges today. they look great in my holster rig belt and I'll let you know how they shoot as soon as I get the "Avenging Angel" back together. I'll post pictures of the rig, gun and the ammo
when I get it back together.
Old November 11, 2005, 10:05 PM   #157
MPP1423

i didnt know you could do anything with the brass frames!thats interesting.
Old November 12, 2005, 12:17 AM   #158
Old Dragoon

Well it for certain sure takes the shine off. I think I might sand my TG with 600 Grit and do the patina again, but it looks pretty good right now and will look better with use. I browned the "58 Rem tonight. I need to do at leasrt one more coat in places. but it is progressing fine. Fine a s Frog hair split in the middle. LOL Hope to have it back together by Sunday. I'm off tomorrow and Sunday so I should be able to get it back together and go shoot it on Sunday afternoon.
Old November 12, 2005, 07:53 AM   #159
Remington kid

Old Dragoon, Gota warn ya...after you Patina one of these old civil war guns they think there back in the war and they shoot so straight it's unreal. They don't want to be left laying on the battle field to rust away
Old November 12, 2005, 08:21 PM   #160
Old Dragoon

My Antiqued '58 Rem. New Model Army

Hey! This Photobucket works! I am almost finished , the only thing I don't like is the cylinder, I think it needs more work, but, perjhaps it looks more original for a Blacksmith/Gunsmith conversion , as the guns weren't always refinished, just converted. Factory Conversions always were refinished. I want to work some more on the grips and the escutens to put more patina on them.

Right side

Left Side

My holster Rig, it is a 25 cartridge money belt type. I need a knife for this rig.

The '58 and the Slim Jim Holster This holster was a left hand side type, I changed it to a right cross draw my moving the belt loop to the other side, hence the fringe in the thread holes. I might trim the whole holster in elk hide to cover the thread holes. I'm from that "use what you have" school. I do have two other double loop holsters both right or right crossdraw, for when the other '58 gets the treatment, that I can use with this belt. This belt and one holster were made for me buy a guy in Grain Valley, Mo. several years ago.

The '58, Holster and 44 Remington loaded 44 CF cartridges.
Old November 12, 2005, 08:40 PM   #161
Remington kid

Wow!!!! Old Dragoon, you could lay that next to one of the originals and even an expert would have to take a second or third look. That really came out great and the rig looks perfect for it. Were the grips white when you started or were they already the old ivory look?
I'm sure you have alott of work in that Remy but it really is one of the better "Patina" jobs I've seen. Thanks for the pics!
Old November 12, 2005, 08:41 PM   #162
Old Dragoon

Old West Ammo .44 Cal

I have approx 500 44 Colt, loaded with 25 grn, BP and black Moly lubed .431 Dia bullet I think it is 187 Grn. Anyway they are for the new 44 Colt Open Tops so I can't use them in my '58. I also cut down the rims on 100 Rem. Mag Brass and loaded 37 Grn. BP and a .451 round ball. Now I just recieved my 44 Rem loaded 44 Colt brass. .451 dia. outside lubed, 248 Grn. They are smokeless, Unique (don't know the Grns., but they are advertised at 650FPS.
All three are pictured below. The 44 Remingtons are in the picture above with the '58 also. Just thought y'all like to see a close up of them, I hope to be able to buy the bullets seperately from Old West Moulds, (which is where these came from), so I can load BP in this cartridge.

Right to left: 44 Colt .431, 44 Rem Mag, trimmed rim, .451 RD, 44 Rem. CF
Old November 12, 2005, 10:15 PM   #163
MPP1423

dragoon,that gun is awesome as hell!!!! how much trouble was it doing the loading groove in the frame?
Old November 12, 2005, 10:31 PM   #164
Old Dragoon

Filing the groove...

MPP1423
My Nephew is a Capitol Police Officer at Dorthea Dix State Hospital in Ralieh, NC. He used to be a sarg at Chadbourn NC Police Dept.

Thanks
I like it pretty well. This is the first one I have done. and the first refinish in about 30 years. Guess I can still do it. I did find a conversion out on the net that has a newer looking cylinder in it, but I still might rework the cylinder.
It took me about 2-3 hours with a rattail file to get the groove down to depth and widened in the frame where I could polish it out with 600 grit, and about an hour or so to polish it out. The port in the recoil shield was a bear, it's 4140 steel like the cylinder and that took about 4-5 hours with the file, (I do have a couple blisters that are now callouses...)LOL .
I probably have 25-30 hours total in the grooves, draw filing the bbl and frame, stoning and the refinishing. The blue came off very easily.
I know I'm glad to be done, or at least almost. Do we ever get really "Done" with these refinishing jobs??

RK,
Thanks for the flowers(old CB lingo..LOL)
I think it turned out pretty nice and gave me confidence to do it again on the next one coming in this week Now I need one that is new to show the differences. LOL.
It was a piece of work, but well worth it...I'll probably strip off the original BP cylinder and refinish it too. I might offer my services, at least in the refinishing part.

The grips came with the gun that color, I don't know who makes them (no info cast in or on them anywhere) but they are soft to carve or cut and they smell like some kind of petroleum distillate. They don't fit the greatest (due to the previous owner not fitting them correctly), but they do look pretty good. I still have some work to do on them.

I think I met the guy that makes and sells these grips at the Las Vegas Show a couple years ago. He had a table there full of all different makes of Single action grips, I remember them because of the color, They were about $30.-$35.00 a pair, and you had to fit them. I wish I still had his card...it might be the guy that you have been talking about. I think maybe he was in the Los Angeles area, but darned if i can remember his name or where he is.
Old November 13, 2005, 12:02 AM   #165
Old Dragoon

I found the grips that came on my '58...

Mike,
these are the grips that came on my '58. the original escution on the right grip stripped out and I used the ones from the wood grips that came on my '58 originally.
Here is the link.

http://www.gungrip.com/product_info....roducts_id=200

They look just like mine and are $30.00
Old November 13, 2005, 07:17 AM   #166
Remington kid

Thanks for the info Dragoon. I know what you mean about the hard work and it will and does seem never ending. Smoothing the action on mine was a constant on going thing for me but now I have it so smooth it feels like it all runs on ball bearings. Little things like the hammer pull and trigger pull take time and if you take to much you have to buy new parts and start over. When I first got mine they felt like there was a little sand in there and it took a real man to cock them back
Old November 13, 2005, 07:22 AM   #167
Remington kid

MPP1423, Are you going to try an hunt a hog this year? I'de like to see you get one with the Remington. We know you don't normally call for back up but it may be a good idea to take along your buddy "Ruger" just in case you need him
I havent been out hunting in a couple of days. I'm having some stomach problems , Old age I guess. Mike
Old November 13, 2005, 08:12 PM   #168
Low Key

Old Dragoon, That is one beauty of a gun and holster rig! If I didn't know better I'd swear the gun was 125 years old. I think you're right about refinishing, we never will really get "done", lol. I'm still polishing various parts on my remington after stripping the blue off and I know I'll be doing that for awhile a little at a time. I like to take time with that kind of thing so I don't take off too much metal and have to buy a part and start again as mike mentioned.
Old November 13, 2005, 09:10 PM   #169
Old Dragoon

Thanks Low Key,
I spent all last week nights and every spare minute polishing, after I stipped all the blue off. I have Sat and Sun. off, so Friday night I started the browning process, was able to get 3 seperate coats on all the parts, Sat morning I began to work on taking off what I wanted to take off. When oi got to where it ia now I stopped. I'm tickled how it came out especially the frame and the bbl where I took the dredded printing and proof marks off. Like I said before, thankfully, it is a tapered bbl. those make removing lettering or dings and such out much easier.

I'm glad all of you like my '58 Rem. I have another on the way, now that I have the first one under my belt, after 30 years, the next will be easier. It is fun to make these look 125 years old. I put the date, make and the letters in the box on the inside of the grip frame so one may not take advantage of someone in the future. I do that with all the guns I made or refinish, perhaps it will keep the next owner honest.
Old November 14, 2005, 08:08 AM   #170
Old Dragoon

Mike,
I hope you get to feeling better. Being sick anytime a year is no fun, but hunting season hurts worse.

Be well.
Old November 14, 2005, 08:30 AM   #171
Remington kid

Thanks Old Dragoon, They ran a bunch of test on me already and waiting for the results. They want to put me in the hospital next and run a tube down my throat to get pictures of my stomach and then maybe one up the other end. Sure hope they don't use the same tube for both,
Old November 14, 2005, 11:23 PM   #172
MPP1423

Hey Mike,i Am Wanting To Go For Boar But It Will Most Likely Be Sometime This Next Year.i Wont Have Time To Go Before That.some Things Been Wrong With The Site,its Been Down For A Couple Of Days.mike I Know What You Mean By Stomach Problems! I Have Acid Reflux Problems Myself.it Think Most Of It Is Work And Stress But I Take Med's For It To Keep It Under Control.i Hope All Is Well With You!

Dragoon,like I Said That Gun Is Sweet!! I Just Might Have To Do One Of Mine,of Course I Doubt It Will Look As Good As Yours.
Old November 14, 2005, 11:29 PM   #173
MPP1423

Hey Mike,i Am Wanting To Go For Boar But It Will Most Likely Be Sometime This Next Year.i Wont Have Time To Go Before That.some Things Been Wrong With The Site,its Been Down For A Couple Of Days.mike I Know What You Mean By Stomach Problems! I Have Acid Reflux Problems Myself.it Think Most Of It Is Work And Stress But I Take Med's For It To Keep It Under Control.i Hope All Is Well With You!

Dragoon,like I Said That Gun Is Sweet!! I Just Might Have To Do One Of Mine,of Course I Doubt It Will Look As Good As Yours.
Old November 14, 2005, 11:53 PM   #174
MPP1423

Ok,i Hit The Enter Button Twice By Mistake.lol
Old November 15, 2005, 07:15 AM   #175
Remington kid

Kevin, I'm taking the little purple pills for the acid reflux.They seem to work but gave me one hell of a headach at first. I can see you having problems with the constant stress your under.
I keep looking at the 1851 .36 Navy that Cabellas has for about $148.00.Not sure yet what my little heart will settle on getting for Christmas. I'll have $200.00 -$250.00 to play with. It seems this was one of the favorites of the gun slingers and from what I have read so far they seem to shoot real well with ball or conical.
I need to find someone who has shot them allot and knows all the tricks of tuning them and so on.My new book tells me a few things but not as much as I would like to know.
Any of you guy's have the scoop on these .36 Navys and all the do's and don'ts? Thanks for any info you may have, Mike