The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 30, 2000, 10:45 AM   #26
BMiracle

I can go with that Art. Either way, thems big pigs! Would hate to get one mad!
Old August 31, 2000, 11:52 AM   #27
HukeOKC

Just in case you thought that all this about pigs being fierce and destructive was not for real, I found this on that bowhunting site. (Aug 26)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Today's Hog Hunt
I left to hunt earlier than usual. My neighbor was working in the field and I drove over to say hello. The wild hogs are making him nuts. They are tearing his fences up and his cattle are crossing the river. He has set several electric fences but he has to make repairs to them almost daily. He said several people around here have been seriously injured. One fella started climbing a tree when a big sow charged him. The sow jumped up and bit him on the leg and yanked him down and then cut him to the bone, from his knee to his hip.
I hunted the treestand near where the fight was. Several hog groups came up but they were on the far river bank.
[/quote]

[This message has been edited by HukeOKC (edited August 31, 2000).]
Old August 31, 2000, 01:22 PM   #28
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I'd be in heaven knocking off those hogs. If that was me living in that situation, I'd be very wary if I had kids. Wild hogs are very scarce in this state.
Old August 31, 2000, 02:00 PM   #29
Calif Hunter

I certainly could be wrong, and I have been before (!), but I've hunted hogs for years and have never heard of them attacking people unprovoked. Now, this provocation could simply be getting between a sow and her piglets, you've jumped one and you're in its path or you have the audacity to hurt one with projectiles or sharp objects and then fail to get out of the way fast enough if you don't kill it outright. They have very poor eyesight, and when they are trying to get away, they will run over or through anything in their way. Out of a couple dozen hogs, the only one to charge me was a mean old, scarred up boar that I wounded. He started running away from me, but when I hit him the second time, I guess he'd had enough. The third (somewhat rattled) shot killed him.
Old August 31, 2000, 02:35 PM   #30
HukeOKC

I would imagine that that sow had to be protecting young. I can't see any other reason to attack a human. If it was a boar then I'd understand a little better but a SOW!!??

Old August 31, 2000, 02:39 PM   #31
BadMedicine

You bow hunt for them eh? My dad bowhunts and has shot many deer and plans on getting a moose. I asked him if he's going to go grizzly hunting with his bow(many do.) He said "son, when I shot my grizzly it took 7 shots in the chest from a .338. Next time I go into the woods for one of these fellas, I'll be carrying more than a sharp stick!"
Old August 31, 2000, 04:42 PM   #32
LoneStar

Art,
I've often considered the "Rambo" approach to deer hunting, but would prefer to see you do it first .

Camp is just a few miles outside of Eden, or about 35 miles west of Brady. Ya, know, down there at the end of that caliche (sp?) road, next to the mesquite tree . no hogs, but some good deer and turkey, and a bumper crop of racoons - but I'm workin on 'em.

Well, I'm headin out to Uvalde this evening for the Dove Opener tomorrow, and If I were anymore excited I just couldn't stand myself. Man huntin' season takes it's own sweet time gettin here.

Ya'll take care!
-L
Old August 31, 2000, 04:43 PM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Calif Hunter, I imagine you're correct. I think that sort of situation is why some folks think javelina attack...

Art
Old September 3, 2000, 01:57 AM   #34
OkieGentleman

I have a friend in Amarillo that goes hunting for hogs down south of Amarillo. He told me the ranchers welcome them with open arms when they find out they are hunting feral hogs. He and some friends went hunting down that way last year and killed about 20. He told me that they used a 4 wheel drive and a rope to pull them up in a line next to the river and left them for the buzzards. I don't remember what caliber he used, but they all carried backup hand guns and nothing less than a .45. He told me you need a heavy bullet with deep penetration to get through the tough shoulder hide of the big ones. He only keeps the meat from the younger pigs as the old boars and sows are tough as a boot and the meat stinks.
Old September 3, 2000, 08:46 AM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

1. Let us just be glad that FUD doesn't live in hog country.

2. Somebody invite him on a hog hunt. We need more good stories!!!

, Art
Old September 8, 2000, 01:48 PM   #36
Jack M

Long as you guys are talking hogs, any books/videos on dressing out a feral hog? I used to shoot a few down around Rockport, but everybody there takes them to the processer. My uncle wants me to come down to his place near Victoria and take a few later this year, and the crotchety old coot has already said "you shoot, you clean it" about a million times. So, where do I learn how, so the old guy doesn't give me a ration of s*** for messing up any meat?
Old September 8, 2000, 02:07 PM   #37
BadMedicine

Do you have a ban saw? we process alot of meat with one of those, Bone-in. You just chill the meat prety-frim and then cut into steaks, or roast or what-ever.
Old September 10, 2000, 01:01 PM   #38
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Jack M, most any game animal is disassembled in pretty much the same manner. The thing with hogs and javelinas is that the hide is tough, and it helps to have more than one very sharp knife.

And if somebody doesn't like how *you* do it, they should be made to feel perfectly welcome to show you how to do it correctly!

, Art
Old September 10, 2000, 08:44 PM   #39
rr41mag

Paul, I have never hog hunted, but I think if I took to the field to hunt something that could wind up hunting me I would do some serious target shooting. Maybe even trying to hit clay targets rolled across the ground at say 20 yards. The only other recommendation is that you come back from the hunt with a good story.
Old September 11, 2000, 04:00 PM   #40
PaulTX

rr41mag,

The thought of being on the receiving end of the deal has crossed my mind! I've been to the range twice with the Marlin 1894P, mainly just working up loads, chronographing, and getting used to the rifle. I'll be working on accuracy now - plus I'm doing research for a scope, something like 1.5x-5x. I hope not to get very close to those piggies until they are ready to be "processed."

A good story to tell friends and the kids would be great - as long as it has a happy ending.

I was reading the other thread about lever actions and there was a comment or two about using a .30-30 instead of a .44 mag for hunting. I could be wrong, but my opinion right now is I'd rather have the .44 out to about 100-150 yards. Those fat, blunt bullets pack a wallop!
Old September 12, 2000, 01:53 AM   #41
kjm

Just so the non-Texans know: Feral hogs are a hugely destructive beast in Texas. I attended a meeting of local farmers concerning them. One farmer said he'd lost 40 thousand dollars to them.
There isn't any method of hunting them that is banned as far as I know. You can bait them, spotlight them, dynamite them, snare them, trap them, laser beam them, AT-4 them, bazooka them, machinegun them, electrocute them...
Since we kill them to prevent huge losses on the ranch, we don't like leaving any reproductives around. We kill them all. The big nasty ones we leave lay. The little tasty ones we take to the processor. I think under 60lbs are the best.
We BBQ them, roast them, broil them, fry them, smoke them...
Old September 12, 2000, 12:41 PM   #42
Jarhead_22

I was told by a game warden that a small herd of hogs can root up an ACRE of crops in a day. They are straight-out varmints here in Texas.

In 1995 I went on a pistol javelina hunt in Arizona. All I had at the time was a Sig P226, so I went out and bought some Hydra-shoks for it. When I got my shot, I put one just behind the shoulder, and the sucker just walked into a cave there in the draw. It took three more shots in the pitch black cave, and being charged twice, before I got my tag on him. Of course, I was hunting with a bunch of other Jarheads and all I got was abuse for having to shoot him four times. "Jeeze, Smitty, why didn't you just roll a grenade in there if you wanted to tear him up like that?"

One caution I would give: watch for that musk gland on the back, up between the shoulders. Don't get it on your clothes or you won't be welcome back in camp, and don't cut it when you're skinning it or the meat will be no good to anyone.

Jarhead

------------------
The gun you surrender will be melted down to form the chains you will wear from then on.
Old September 12, 2000, 12:46 PM   #43
BadMedicine

I like the size that you can BBQ whole, and then eat right off the cob
But seriously, I know you guys can't leave any in the wild, piggies, or not, but have you ever heard of anyone taking the piggies and penning them and making them domestic again? they may be nasty little suckers, but people raised them before (a few generations ago). what do ya think? I wish we had feral hogs in alaska, from a hunters point of view. I'm not a farmer or I'd probably sing a different tune. Maybe I'll go down there some day and have me a little hunt.
Old September 13, 2000, 07:26 AM   #44
kjm

One of the better ideas I've heard of was from my brother-in-law. He's from East Texas, and said that they like to shoot the adults, pen the juveniles, castrate them, cut their tails off, and turn them loose. Later in the year, they have free and tasty pork, and didn't have to do much to raise them.
When you are in a place that has proper facilities, hogs can be raised and there's some small successes at re-domesticating them. Here in Kerrville, there's several people who buy live, wild hogs. Where our ranch is, it isn't a possibility. We just leave 'em lay.
Old September 13, 2000, 11:57 AM   #45
BadMedicine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>turn them loose. Later in the year, they have free and tasty pork[/quote]

Yeah, free to them, I bet the farmers in the area love it. "hey jebediah, you mind coming over to shoot a couple of the 20 or so TAILESS PIGS that are rooting up my crop"

Old September 13, 2000, 04:44 PM   #46
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Closing for bandwidth considerations!

Giz
Closed Thread