The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 16, 2017, 05:09 PM   #1
kbialick

Range officer 1911 FTE issues

Hi I have a springfield range officer 1911 I had the barrel tin cores and since I’ve had it back I’ve had some issues with rounds failing to eject. It ranges from stove pipes to the slide catching the spent casing on the top of the barrel on the way back kind of crushing it. It also seems to be random and not affected by changing out my recoil spring ranging from 16 to 12 since I do reload and am currently shooting lighter loads. All my loads do pass plunk tests and it has happened with both 200gn lswc and 185 copper plates fnrp. It almost makes me think it has something to do with the extractor and the barrel coating is just a coincidence but I don’t even know what to look for.
Old October 16, 2017, 05:59 PM   #2
HiBC

I am assuming you mean "TiN coating"

In 1911 context,TiN is dimensionally insignificant.I don't think it would tighten anything up.Its hard .It is going to match whatever surface its applied to,so I hesitate to say "smooth or slick". I'd still use a little lube.

I can't look at it,but,my hunch is you are correct about "coincidence" ...and that extractor,ejector,or ,remotely,magazine are the likely culprits.
Did you add a shock-buff ? Can shorten slide stroke a touch.Kind of like shortening the ejector.

Most likely extractor needs a tuning.
Old October 16, 2017, 08:39 PM   #3
kbialick

Yup that’s what I ment to type .. at it’s advertised 5microns thick I didn’t think it could make a difference but I didn’t have any probalem until I got the barrel back... I did looked up extractor tension right after posting and noticed when doing a test hat it didn’t fall out unless I shook the slide for a while but it did become loose and wobbly as soon as I moved it so I did attempt to tighten tension on it not really sure how much of a difference I made becuase I didn’t want to over do it but I did notice when loading dummy rounds after and cycling them that they did have more “flip and distance when ejected”
Old October 16, 2017, 08:40 PM   #4
kbialick

If extractor isn’t tensioned properly would replacing the extractor with a new one fix that problem? Do certain 1911 require different tension than others or does the extractor loose tension over time?
Old October 17, 2017, 11:28 AM   #5
RickB

If it's a 5" forty-five, extractor tension, as long as you have some, shouldn't be critical.

While trying to track down an ejection issue, I progressively added tension to my extractor, from zero contact between hook and rim, to so much tension that the gun would no longer feed, and it ran perfectly, for hundreds of rounds, in between.

A too-slick chamber, like a too-rough one, can cause ejection issues; was the chamber polished bright and then coated?
Old October 17, 2017, 11:46 AM   #6
kbialick

I do have a shock buffer in I can remove that to see if it makes a difference but I’ve always had that in ... they did polish before coating but chamber doesn’t look like it’s coted just the chamfered edge it coated and I don’t think that was polished
Old October 17, 2017, 02:07 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
...slide catching the spent casing on the top of the barrel on the way back kind of crushing it.
If you look at how the empty casing is supposed to be handled by a 1911, you will find that the extractor is supposed to hold the case securely until the empty cast is struck by the ejector which rotates it to the right and out of the ejection port. If a casing is found "crushed against the top of the barrel", that can only mean one thing...the extractor is allowing the casing to fall free before it is struck by the ejector. You have a problem with the extractor tension.

Extractors can be bent (lose tension) by someone dropping a round into the chamber and releasing the slide. In any event you can do an internet search on how to check your extractor tension and how to re-bend the extractor if the tension is insufficient.

A better place to pose your question would be over on the 1911 forum...they specialize in 1911's.
Old October 18, 2017, 03:09 PM   #8
HiBC

If you have a non-extended ejector, think about how your shok-buff uses up a little of the length of your ejector. It might make the difference.

There are shade tree methods of tuning extractors. Skill and experience can make them work well,just as "White knuckle feel" can do for tightening nutsand bolts.

Some use a torque wrench.

A 1911 guy can tweak his extractor in its hole in the slide till it feels right.

I made myself a copy of this tool:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...%7cMake_3=1911

In Kuhnhausen,there is a spec,in oz's for the anount of pull it should take to free a case from an extractor.

Weigand makes a tension gauge. I really like using the proper tools.

Would I count on an extractor being a drop in? I don't count on any 1911 part to drop in. Not only will there likely be tension to adjust,there are other points that may need a little file work.

Yes,common mortal human beings with mechanical aptitude can learn how.

You might try youtube,Kuhnhausen,etc.