The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2017, 10:55 AM   #26
hounddawg

Good to hear that you solved it. This was a good thread, I learned a lot from the discussion also
Old September 24, 2017, 11:36 AM   #27
kmw1954

Good for you. This will be an experience you shouldn't soon forget huh? We learn from simple mistakes sometimes.
Old September 24, 2017, 10:44 PM   #28
pete2

Check them in the chamber of the bbl from the gun that you are going to shoot them in. Just remove the bbl and use it as a cartridge gauge. It'll tell you if the ammo fits, NOT the Wilson gauge.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:58 AM   #29
Sky Master

Sounds like you need Lee's Factory Crimp Die
Old October 4, 2017, 10:04 AM   #30
ShootistPRS

Some guns, like the CZ75B that I own, have a very short leade. That means that the distance from the chamber to the rifling is shorter than others. The bullets, depending on their shape, have to be seated further than some of the manuals suggest. I found this out by using the listed OAL that was published with the load and had to pull the bullets and reload the rounds. I have had very little experience with auto-loaders but it was easy to tell that the bullet was hitting the rifling before it was chambered. The cure was to seat the bullets so that when the case was dropped into the barrel it was able to be free from hitting the rifling. I now use my barrel to determine the proper OAL for my loads.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:17 PM   #31
MrApathy

what gun are you using?

check the COL of the finished cartridge.

CZ's in 9mm and Steyr lines in 9mm have tight throats where .001 could mean a bullet is stuck in the rifling or not.
steyr's throat like ball profile ammo though not all bullets are same. truncated cone bullets cannot be seated out long. tall shoulder rather than a ball fmj curve.

check for canted bullets it happens sometimes in 9mm best solution I had was switching to Hornady seating die which gives a tighter seat.

smoke the bullet's you have and check the COL
most people just take a marker to the bullet and check seat it.

get rifling marks in your bullet and you then need to seat the bullet deeper.
keep in mind how deep you seat as you could easily increase the charge's pressure so adjust charge weight appropriately.

try to sort brass by headstamp it can make a difference though manufactures have variations and different lots of brass your better off getting consistent ammo from same headstamp than if you didnt.

what are you loading for cheap ammo? accuracy of any kind?
inconsistency in manufacturing of ammo can lead to inaccurate ammo and potentially dangerous situation if you dont watch what your doing.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes

Last edited by MrApathy; October 5, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old October 5, 2017, 09:32 PM   #32
kmw1954

Folks, it certainly does look like he straightened this out almost 2 weeks ago. Go back to post 24 and look.
Old October 6, 2017, 08:48 AM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

24 and 25. Yes, solved. I'm guessing he mistook the rounded-tip straightening portion of the expander that precedes the actual flare shoulder for the flare shoulder itself. As a result, the expander wasn't screwed in far enough for the case mouths to reach the actual flare shoulder until he experimented a bit.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle