The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 23, 2002, 05:45 PM   #1
JerryM

Feeding Problem RI Springfield 03

Yesterday I bought a RI high number 03 from a friend. Today I discovered that the first round does not stay in the magazine unless held in. The subsequent rounds all do ok. The last round then flies out when the next to last round is ejected.

What is the reason for this?
I haven't encountered this problem before.

Thanks,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 23, 2002, 09:38 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Check the magazine spring for weakness, or a incorrect replacement spring.
Old October 24, 2002, 10:29 PM   #3
DeBee

Next check the follower and the rails...

Has the follower been overpolished or filed to remove pits or rust? Try a different 03 follower.

Make sure the rails have not been modified (thats a hard one to fix if they have been).

How does the rifle feed?
Old October 24, 2002, 10:36 PM   #4
JerryM

Thanks.
I had a friend, a former gunsmith, look at it today. He measured the rails and they had not been changed. He put another follower in and it did the same thing. At your suggestion I asked him to put another magazine spring in it and see if that fixed it.

It is a puzzle to both of us.

I'll post the fix if we can fix it. Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Where is George Stringer? George, we need you.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 25, 2002, 01:03 PM   #5
Ledbetter

Wrong follower

03 and 03A3 rifles that have the incorrect follower or spring will do this. Replacing the incorrect part with another identical part will not solve the problem.

Try to get the different model follower and spring from the one you have to try. If all else fails, order one of each (follower and spring) from SARCO or Numrich or wherever.

Ledbetter
Old October 25, 2002, 10:58 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

AFAIK, '03 and '03A3 followers are supposed to be interchangeable (though they are not identical) and I have not encountered any failures from mixing them. I would check out the magazine box (part of the trigger guard) and be sure it fits into the receiver properly when the guard screws are tightened. This is often a problem with the '03.

Jim
Old October 26, 2002, 07:48 AM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jerry, I think you'll find that Jim hit it on the head. An ill fitting mag box will give the same symptoms as a weak mag spring. George
Old October 28, 2002, 08:41 PM   #8
JerryM

Thanks, George and all.

I'm going to be out of town for a week or so. I will give you feedback when I return.

Jerry
Old November 7, 2002, 10:12 PM   #9
JerryM

During the process of "swapping things around" it became evident that the problem is the magazine spring. It is not the same as the standard Springfield. I'm wondering of someone put a Mauser spring in it.

Now I just need to find a '03 magazine spring. I don't think that will be difficult.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jerry