The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 28, 2000, 10:04 PM   #1
JoeSF

Is there any way to make my Ruger 10/22 quieter when I fire it? I heard that there is a surpressor that lenghtens the barrel to make the rifle quieter when fired. Any body know anything about this? Thanks.
Old December 28, 2000, 10:53 PM   #2
DeBee

The best setup would be an integral suppressor. This would require a dedicated/modified threaded and ported barrel, relieved stock, and the suppressor housing (or can).

Most sound suppressor designs for rifles shorten the barrel to lower the bullet velocity to subsonic and mill ports in the barrel to allow gas to escape.

You might attempt to make your own suppressor with the proper licensing of course, but some of the designers out there are so good (Dater, Gemtech) why waste the time and energy.

I use .22 Long CBee caps. Yes, the range is short and the accuracy is substandard but they are useful and effective in certain situations... You may have to cycle the bolt manually... Give these a try before going all out on the suppressor thing.
Old December 29, 2000, 12:17 AM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

The systems from both Gemtech and AWC are complete barrel replacements and the suppressor is permanently attached to the rifle. Cost is around $500 to $700, plus the $200 federal transfer tax. And the usual red tape for any restricted weapon.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this, semi automatic rifle and Class III weapons are not my thing. But, the threading of a semi automatic rifle that can be made to accept attachments like flash hiders and was made after 1994 is illegal. As of this moment, AFT considers sound suppressors as the ultimate flash hider and is keeping us from legally sound dampening our newer firearms. Been trying to build up a HK USC and have run into this problem. I'm waiting for the Bush administration to take effect so there will be a more liberal interpretation of the law.

Robert
Old December 29, 2000, 06:17 AM   #4
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Moving this to Full Auto Forum (i.e. Class III, Suppressors).

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old December 30, 2000, 01:52 PM   #5
greg c

http://www.awcsystech.com

Check out the 10/22 Ultra II

-integral barrel $775 installed on YOUR 10/22
thie does not include the $200 transfer tax

I have seen this at a local gunshow- it is SWEEEEET.
Old December 31, 2000, 12:58 PM   #6
JoeSF

Thank you all for the information.