The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 27, 2020, 01:10 PM   #1
Prof Young

Bauer Saga Lives Again!

Won't bore you all with the whole story (Look for threads about Bauter Saga.) Bill DeShivs got my magazine catch welded back together and . . . miracle of miracles . . . I got the mag catch, mag safety bar and spring all assembled and installed on the third try. (I've learned a few tricks along the way, patience being at the top of the list.)

The question is . . . why does the mag catch break? Someone suggested that maybe the mag is touching the slide in such a way that it puts pressure on the mag release. (European style mag release.) It's hard to tell, but with magnifying specks on and a bright flashlight it looked like that could be possible. So I've filed the mag down a touch.

So, now I've got this gun back together and it dry fires just fine . . . but I'm a touch afraid to shoot it for fear of breaking the mag catch again. Hmmmmm . . ..

Oh, and I've found another company that has "Baby Browning" (should fit a Bauer) parts. It's called Hoosier Gun Works and has a web site. They list a mag catch as only $15, which is much cheaper than elsewhere. I have't ordered from them yet. May do so if my Bauer breaks . . . again!!!

Okay, so probably sometime next week I'll take the thing to the range and see what happens.

Are we having fun yet?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 27, 2020, 01:48 PM   #2
hub1home

You might as well shoot it to see if it will break again. What good is a gun that doesn't shoot. I would buy the part for $15.00 even if the current part doesn't break. I had a Bauer for a number of years and never a problem with it even with about a 1,000 rounds through it. I wish I still had it of course,
Old June 27, 2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Prof Young

Will shoot it soon.

Yeah, I'll be at the range sometime this week and take it along. Will let you know what happens.

If the $15 mag catch was a used part, I'd snap it up. But I looks to me like Hoosier Gun Works makes them.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 27, 2020, 03:06 PM   #4
JERRYS.

epic..... so much work, so little shooting.
Old June 28, 2020, 08:01 PM   #5
Prof Young

Range Report . . . .

As promised, I took the Bauer to the range. Got two mags through it with only one stove pipe at the end of a mag. BUT, the cocked indicator is doing a strange thing where it sticks out of the back of the slide. See pic below. It goes right back in when pushed on.
But the mag release did not break . . . yet.

Two queries. What's going on with the cocked indicator?
And what could be causing the mag catch to break as it has in the past.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bauer.jpg (111.0 KB, 29 views)
Old June 29, 2020, 03:33 AM   #6
DnPRK

Cocking indicator is jammed in the rearward position during recoil? Is the return spring installed?
Old July 1, 2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

See my post in General Handgun forum.
Old July 3, 2020, 06:30 PM   #8
Prof Young

Cocking indicator is . . .

So, Bauer is running fine now, but the cocking indicator does get stuck all the way out as in the pic posted above. I cleaned and oiled the whole gun and that did not help. Then just today realized the cocking indicator is it's onw little system with a housing, and a spring and the rod, which has a flange on one end. The whole part comes out of the firing pin spring and don't fool around compressing it as it is one of the little parts that will fly away and you may never find it again. (I found mine.)

Anyway, at the range today it was getting stuck again, to I dismantled the thing right there. The flange that is on the rod is getting stuck in the housing. This is the end of the thing that is toward the front of the gun. So I took the thing home, soaked the cocking indicator works in solvent, put a touch of gun grease on it and we'll see what happens next timer I'm at the range.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 5, 2020, 03:20 PM   #9
Prof Young

Not a flange!!!

Turns out the flange on the cocked indicator is not a flange but a peen. That's why it's sticking. Used a jeweler's file to remove it. Haven't been to the range yet, but I'm hopeful that this will be the final fix.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 5, 2020, 05:35 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Ah, yes, the old fake flange trick.

Get's 'em every time.
Jeepaholic