The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Is PMC brass worth reloading?

I picked up a bag of once fired .223 brass. A rough estimate would be about 1500~2000 cases for 20 bucks. In my first sorting session, I pulled out a couple hundred Winchester cases that I'm going to tumble first.

Anyway about 80~90% of the cases are PMC and the rest are mixed. A casual look at them makes me think they were all shot out of the same AR15. The have no dents and almost no extractor marks. The guy that sold them to me has a very tricked out match AR15 but I didn't ask if he was the one that shot all of them. Will I be able to load the PMC cases up to anything resembling match loads for varmint shooting or should I swap them to my shooting buddy for his Mini 14?

I'll post a more complete list of the head stamps later but there were some S&B, WCC and LC of various years but only very few looked to have crimped primers. I plan to recycle the ones with crimped primers.

Tony
Old June 30, 2011, 03:32 PM   #2
mjm

PMC has worked very good for me. I think you got a good deal on the brass.
Old June 30, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Wag

Nothing wrong with PMC.

--Wag--
Old June 30, 2011, 03:44 PM   #4
hornetguy

I reloaded a bunch of PMC brass in my 6.5 X 55 Swede. I had several loadings on most of them, probably 4 or 5, with no problems at all.
Old June 30, 2011, 03:53 PM   #5
crowbeaner

20 years ago I would have told you to trade the PMC brass for something made here; the quality just wasn't there. Today's production brass is 200% better; it's even better than some new production Federal brass I've reloaded lately. I use a LOT of PMC pistol brass and it's WAAAAYYYYY more consistent than some. The primer pockets are tight and uniform, it lasts just as long as any, and usually the price is better because some people still don't like it. I dunno why; it makes good ammo. The rifle brass seems to be a bit thick hence less capacity, but if you uniform the flash holes, it loads just as well and shoots about the same as RP.
Old June 30, 2011, 04:07 PM   #6
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I bought 2000 PMC brass 20 years ago and I am still reloading it.
I made some 222 cases out of some of them and used 30 or so cases for bench rest matches in a tight neck BR rifle, Because they shot the best.
Old June 30, 2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Farmland

PMC will work great. I have been reloading it for a few years now all for my 223. In fact I have a few thousand that I have pricked up one place or another.
Old June 30, 2011, 05:18 PM   #8
jhansman

I pick up a lot of PMC at the range, and it has all held up as well as any other I've reused. I don't shoot flamethrower loads, so YMMV if you do.
Old June 30, 2011, 06:32 PM   #9
flashhole

Why would you think PMC brass is not worth loading?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 30, 2011, 06:41 PM   #10
LarryFlew

+1 the PMC is some nice brass
Old June 30, 2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Geezerbiker

Thanx guys. I was afraid that imported brass wouldn't be worth reloading for Varmint hunting. I was sure it would be safe to reload but not that it would be good for my most accurate loads.

I'm not sure if I can make it out varmint hunting this year but I sure want to be ready if the opportunity arises...

Back in '02 when I bought my first Varmint rifle, I ordered 500 .225 Remington bulk bullets, life got in the way and I never got around to loading them. At least now I have the cases for them...

Tony
Old June 30, 2011, 07:31 PM   #12
tekarra

Have had good results with PMC brass for some time now.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:10 PM   #13
Sevens

I have a bit of PMC brass from the early 90's (in 10mm) and it's been very durable brass.

I use current production PMC brass in 9mm to fine effect.

The most recent PMC brass I've used in .45 Auto has been very disappointing. Thin brass that is prone to crushing while seating bullets. It seems thin in the case walls.

I'd certainly give any PMC brass a twirl and see how it works... but recent manufacture PMC in .45 has not impressed me in the slightest.