The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 11, 1999, 03:55 PM   #1
Anthony

Hello List,

For several years I carried a Spyderco Police until I recently upgraded to the Spyderco Military which seems to be a much more capable knife.

How does the list feel the Military compares to other production and custom models? Strengths and weaknesses?

Does anyone have an opinion on the Spyderco Civilian as a combat knife?

Finally, I'm quite partial to the Spyderco "hole in the blade" style of opening. Thumb studs just don't work as well for me.

Does anyone know of a top flight custom knifemaker that uses the Spyderco style of hole?

I'm aware of A.T. Barr, but he is not taking orders at this time as he has a two year backlog.

Thanks for the help.

- Anthony
Old March 11, 1999, 08:44 PM   #2
shiv

i have heard that the civilian is a great fighting knife. if used with training like kali, intercepting incoming blows and slashes with the hooked tip will cause MAJOR dammage to opponents limbs. its not great for stabbing and thrusting but for hooking and blocking strikes it is great.

i personaly like my microtech socom clip point as it lets me stab and slash equaly.
check www.knifeforums.com or www.bladeforums.com for more info on the civilian.

as for weaknesses on the military the only one i have conserns is the knife has no liners and the handle is made of only G-10. i like metal liners in my knives for strength and butt-stroking attackers without worring if the knife will crack in my hand.
Old March 11, 1999, 11:25 PM   #3
[email protected]
Wise Guy

[blatant plug]

Want to know about Spyderco knives? Find out from the source- The Spyderco Forum on BladeForums.com. If you want user impressions, check out the reviews section.

[/blatant plug]

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Old March 12, 1999, 02:25 AM   #4
Dave Finfrock

One of my favorite folders is the Spyderco Military. This knife (in it's T440v variant) is an outstanding blade. I've had mine about three years now (I think, it seems like forever) and it has yet to need sharpening, despite frequent use/abuse. It sees a fair amount of prying and lateral stress at work. The G10 scales have yet to show any deterioration. I like metal liners, but don't think it's a critical issue. This knife replaced my Spyderco Police (one of the ATS34/titanium variants) as my backpacking/work/general carry folder.

I can't really comment of the Civilian, but I do like hawksbill blades. I have an Elishewitz Parrot's Beak that I carry on occasion. This is a helluva knife. Much stronger lock than the Walker liner on the Military. Then again, it ought to be for three times the price.

I believe that Emerson, Elishewitz, Wegner, and possibly another maker whose name I can't spell/recall have licensed the hole from Spyderco.
Old March 27, 1999, 06:53 PM   #5
Kodiac

I am not sure if the refering to other Forum members as "LIST" is the right thing -

Lets refer to eachother collectively as SENATE... and Senators... As in Rome, the Senate held "Forums"...

Any ways, about the knife question - the Civilian is a little wimpy I think... The old Harpy was a better knife. Other thatn that - it is a Spyderco - and you really cant go wrong with one. Even a ladybug.

The Military is a great knife and it is certainly strong enough to handle any situation you are likely to ever get in. If you need more knife than the Military - then you need a GUN!

------------------
"I got a bad feeling about this..."