The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2008, 11:56 PM   #1
jaragon

Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit

Hello,

I am interested in getting into reloading. I was wondering if this kit that Cabelas sells is good for a starting kit for a new reloader? Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rret&noImage=0

I have never reloaded before and have looked at some presses it just looks like a turret press is easier to use than a single stage press where you have to change each die out for each cycle.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
JAragon
Old January 12, 2008, 12:11 AM   #2
actionflies

This is the same kit I bought from Cabelas. The only thing I didn't like in the kit was their hard to read powder scale. I recommend you buy a different scale and you will need a couple of reloading books (Lee, Hornady etc.), Lee deluxe 4 die set for pistol caliber, extra 4 hole turret, extra auto disk riser (available from midwayusa.com), caliber, tumbler and media separator (cheaper to buy corn cob media at your local stores in the pet section and use nu finish to polish your brass). Also check out Lee website for their informative videos on setup and how the turret work. Goodluck!
Old January 12, 2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Sevens

Certainly, if you are changing out dies all the time a turret press is quicker and easier. But for the most part, you won't be taking a single case -- resizing -- priming -- flaring -- seating a bullet and then crimping unless you are loading progressively on a much more expensive, advanced machine.

Typically, you will take 50 or 100 cases or more, run them all through the sizing die, then prime all of them, then flare all of them, then seat & crimp, changing dies between each stage. The turret press keeps you from spinning out a die and replacing it after that batch of 50 or 100 (or 400) cases. A turret press is much more like a single stage than it is a progressive machine.

There's no doubt, none whatsoever, that your productivity goes way, WAY up when you buy a progressive machine and the time you spend at the reloading bench goes way, way down, but a turret press won't do what a progressive press does.

When you use a progressive press, each pull of the handle will do some job on three (or four or five) pieces of brass at the same time. On a turret press (or a single stage), each handle pull still does one job on one piece of brass.

Still, working on a single stage is fine for many folks. I've been doing it for 20 years on a single stage. If I shot competition where I was burning through hundreds of rounds of ammo every week, I'd look to upgrade. But I don't, so single stage works very, very well for me and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Now I didn't follow the link you provided for Cabela's, but do check www.midwayusa.com and compare their offerings to what you've found at Cabela's for a bigger selection and to see if their prices are reasonable.

You've already got a good start-- you found a great forum for advice and help!
Old January 12, 2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Phil_A

That's a good press. Here's another kit.
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html
I recommend the ProAuto Disk and lever prime upgrades. Also the double disk kit for rifle. - Phil
Old January 12, 2008, 10:13 AM   #5
jamaica

Sevens, great response.

I too have used a single stage for many years. My needs are no more than 200 rounds a week and a single stage press works just fine.

I have no experience with the Lee presses.
Old January 12, 2008, 10:57 AM   #6
CrustyFN

I think it's a very good press. I have had mine for a year and a half and am very happy.
Rusty

Old January 12, 2008, 11:45 AM   #7
KeithB78

that is a good kit, as stated get a decent scale

If you get that kit , but buy the little powder die extension for $7.00 to raise up the powder measure so it won't interfere with you priming system.

That Lee auto prime works very well once you get the knack of it.
Old January 13, 2008, 12:06 AM   #8
Grandpa Shooter

What are you looking to load?

It is hard to give you comprehensive answer not knowing what caliber you are loading. I use a single stage Rockchucker for sizing and depriming rifle cases in .308, 30-30 and 30-06 so that I can pay close attention to that important step. I then shift to my Lee progessive using my hand to turn the dies. Again, that is so that I pay close attention to what I am doing.

When I load pistol I use the indexing arm to rotate through the stations since pistol is just for plinking. Self defense ammo I buy. Never used it yet Thank God.

I use a Dillon 550B to load high amounts of ammo, such as 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP.

What you need changes with what you know about reloading, how much you want to shoot, how much you care about precision and what you can realistically afford. I wouldn't spend a fortune getting set up in something you may find you either don't enjoy or outright come to hate.

Start slow and work your way up. That is just advice from a friendly old man.
Old January 13, 2008, 04:27 PM   #9
jaragon

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. I will probably be reloading 223 for my ar 30.06 and .45 ACP and .40SW and 9mm. These would be the calibers I would probably be reloading maybe some more than others.
Old January 13, 2008, 08:37 PM   #10
UltraTacky

I received the Lee Classic Turret last Spring as a gift from a brother who also wanted to reload and got himself one from Kempf. I highly recommend it. While I may get a progressive later, I've loaded only .45 until today, when I added .38 Specials to my experience. I like it because it has given me a chance to learn all the steps of reloading while giving reasonable productivity. I do about 100 rds per hour, which is slow because I visually check every casing after the powder drop, use a go/no go gauge with every round, and check OAL periodically. Less anal folks do it 2x+ faster. I just enjoy going to the workshop, producing the rounds, and then firing them. I also recommend the auto primer kit and high riser for the powder. And, my brother loads .223 as well as .45 and loves it, although he will probably get a progressive before I do.
Old January 13, 2008, 09:00 PM   #11
thebees

Beginner Reloading

I think any beginner reloader should start with a single stage press. Especially if you are going to load rifle ammo. With a sinlge stage press, you do one operation at a time. Less to have to think about. Less opportunity for error. Many experienced loaders have only used single stage presses and never felt they were out of date.
I have used a Lee auto press and couldn't get it to load right. I had to stop every dozen or so rounds to work on it. I think I threw the Lee into a box under a work bench. Bought a Dillan Square deal B for handgun ammo. Worked so good that when I started Cowboy shooting I bought another so I could leave it set up for 45 Colt.
I still advise a single stage setup though. I use a old gun show used RCBS press and an even older used gun show special Lyman #55 powder measure. Lyman re-worked my measure free even though I told them I had bought it used over 30 years ago.
And, no matter what kind of press a guy gets, ya gotta have a good scales.
I recommend one of the cheapest and for sure the easiest to use Redding. I couldn't find a used one so bought a new one probably 25 or 30 years ago. Nuthin to wear out or go bad if you don't drop it.
So there ya are. My opinion.
Oh, and for rifle cartridges, ya gotta trim some time. A RCBS case trimmer is nice and I got one last year, but the Lee Case trimmer setup works great but tiresome for your fingers.
Old January 14, 2008, 02:58 PM   #12
HJ857

You can use the Turret as a single stage until you get the feel for it. And you can manually turn the die plate - just remove the index rod.

I'm a bit like what Sevens posted. I deprime and size in one step. Then clean the cases and reprime using a hand primer rather than the press mounted primer. So all I'm doing during loading is the powder drop, bullet seating and crimping, and all by manually turning the die plate.

For rifle rounds, I like to measure every powder charge and every OAL, so manually turning is a real benefit.

I started on a single stage, but that got old really fast.
Old January 14, 2008, 05:27 PM   #13
KeithB78

Dollar for dollar hard to beat the Lee Turret. Extra turrets are like $9.00
Old January 14, 2008, 09:25 PM   #14
ldv444

Lee classic turret press accuracy

Can anyone give me feedback on the accuracy of the classic turret press by Lee. Specifically, for those who use the press to load rifle rounds. I ask due to the press having play in the turret and in (I believe) the ram being two pieces. I know the Lee classic cast single stage has a two piece ram, and I wonder the same thing. I realize that a certain amount of play with turret presses is par for the course. Thanks ahead for replies.
Old January 14, 2008, 11:19 PM   #15
rwilson452

I have had the turret and have the Classic cast. th eplay in the turret is there but the play is the same every time. Rounds made on the turret are as accurate as any press I have used. My hunting loads for my 30-06 are under 1 moa. I never made target loads for it. the classic cast has a two part ram but it is a screw down tight fitting no slop, none. I have made bug hole 10 shot groups with my Rem 700 VLS in 22-250 with the Classic cast.. Best 5 shot group was .175 MOA. Sadly it was the last of a pound of H380 and I couldn't get it to repeat with the next pound. Man was I upset.

I was also using Lee dies. I had better accuracy full length resizing than I did with neck sizing. go figure.
Old January 15, 2008, 09:40 AM   #16
HJ857

My experiences are similar to RWilson's. The play is a little disconcerting at first, but results at the range negate it.

I can get .75 inch groups and sometimes better, with my 6.5 Grendel AR consistently using Lee dies on the Classic Turret and with the FCD. Full length sized as well.

I'm sure better can be had, but I don't need any greater accuracy than what I'm getting now.
Old January 16, 2008, 12:00 AM   #17
ldv444

Thanks

Thanks to all for the replies. I suspect that what little movement that is involved actually allows the round to center itself in the die. I have a dillion 550 and some of the accuracy of the rounds produced on that press are as good as it gets with production rifles. Again, thanks for the input/feedback.