The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 11, 2006, 11:43 PM   #1
DTakas

Anyone Regret Owning A NFA Weapon?

I’ve toyed with the idea of getting several NFA items, SBR, SBS, and/or a suppressor. It seems every time I throw the idea around to someone I know the response is always don’t do it. You’ll be on some kind of ATF and FBI watch list. The ATF can show up and search your house anytime after you get one and that kind of stuff. I know most of this stuff I’m hearing is BS from people who refuse to buy a handgun or a new long gun because they don’t want any kind of firearm in their name. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has regretted the whole NFA thing because of the hassles of buying, keeping, and selling such weapons.
Old February 12, 2006, 09:59 AM   #2

well,
I am going to turn 21 wednesday.
I will start my first 2 transfers.. uh.. wednesday

while i dont own any class 3's yet,
My father got his Colt M16A1 about a year ago and my brother got his H&K MP5 about three months ago.. both are madly in love and have infected me also..

I will be purchasing an american 180 and a suppresser asap..

While we have to register class 3 weapons, i dont feel it puts us on any kind of "watch list".. but i may be wrong..

as far as the purchasing of Pistols and Long guns.. you should tell your friends that here in the good ol' US of A we dont register non-restricted weapons and the paperwork they fill out is NEVER allowed to leave the store it was purchased from...
Old February 12, 2006, 05:50 PM   #3
CKy123

As long as you haven't committed any crimes I dont think you will be on any watchlists. I've been debating whether to start a Bulgarian AK74 SBR build for about 6 months now.
Old February 12, 2006, 05:57 PM   #4
DTakas

I don't think I'll be on any kind of watch list either. I just wanted to know if the complications are really worth it. Or should I just stick with the normal barrel lengths.
Old February 12, 2006, 08:18 PM   #5
boofus

The only 'list' you will be on is the NFA Registry and from what I hear it is full of omissions and other screw-ups.

Heck you'd probably have trouble finding yourself ON the list. One of the suggestions I've seen is to keep the original copy of your Form 4 in a safe place in the event the ATF can't find you or your weapon in their registry.
Old February 12, 2006, 10:31 PM   #6
TexasSIGMan

Only thing I regret are the ones I've sold.......
Old February 13, 2006, 11:13 AM   #7

i dont know about for a SBR.. they dont have alot of pull with me..
But M/G's and silencers are DEFINATELY worth it.. they kick ass!
and if its something you will enjoy, and you have no criminal history, its pretty much a slam dunk.. takes a long time.. but its not real tough..

Ive actually been considering registering my T/C Encore as a SBS.. but thats a different story altogether, as i would like to use it as a pistol 20 gauge..
Old February 13, 2006, 03:21 PM   #8
WillBrayjr

I think the only time someone regrets making a purchase is if they had the money but couldn't afford it because the money needed to be spent on other things more important like bills. The main reason why civilians buy NFA weapons is simply because of the Fun Factor.
Old February 13, 2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Hkmp5sd

My only regret is not buying more machineguns before the '86 ban went into effect.
Old February 13, 2006, 08:00 PM   #10
AK103K

Quote:
My only regret is not buying more machineguns before the '86 ban went into effect.
Big ditto on that!
I paid $800 for my MP5 and $225 for my M11/9mm. Hell, HK94's were $450. Transfers were running about 30 days then too.

In the 20 some years I've owned them, I've never once had a call or visit from anyone, other than the cops coming to see what the ruckus was when shooting them on private property and they got a call. They always left happy.

If you want one, by all means, go for it.
Old February 13, 2006, 08:21 PM   #11
Samuel_Hoggson

Regret?

Suppressors and SBRs: I see these as depreciations, sorta like cars. Buy an SBR or suppressor and you will not see your investment returned. All well and good if you understand and accept this - and simply want the benefits that obtain with these things. Your money - your call.

MGs are a different story. Buy them, shoot the snot out of them, sell them and realize a profit. Now, that's my kind of toy.

Sam
Old February 14, 2006, 02:46 AM   #12
Crosshair

I need to work on getting a suppressor with my tax return. What is the one that you can use with .223 AND 22LR. There was an article about it a few months ago in one of the gun magazines.

Last edited by Crosshair; February 14, 2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old February 14, 2006, 06:40 AM   #13
Striker

Only problem was when I moved. Some of the states where I was assigned didn't allow them. Was a pita!

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old February 15, 2006, 03:33 AM   #14
cntrailrider

Only regret is I sold one and shouldn't have.

BTW I am new here, folks. Howdy. First post.

My first purchase was a Mac 3-pac all NIB. Before the paperwork cleared I already had two more in the works. The Macs DOUBLED in value by the time the transfers cleared, and now they've tripled. You can't go wrong investing in and enjoying MGs.

To say NFA weapons are addictive would be a gross understatement. I'm on a .308 binge with .22's as a sideshow. Building a sear host or a semi AK can become addictive too. Here's a pic of my latest build

Transfers will excersise your patience; your finances will probably chart a new course. My collection is worth more than my home/property and still growing strong.

I can't imagine being 21 again and knowing what I know now about NFA weapons / MG's. You are making a very good move.

Steve in TX
Old February 15, 2006, 09:41 AM   #15
Rotor Talker

Regret, like others

I didn't buy like mad in the early 80's, oh well. Another new guy here, I have a Vollmer MP 5 sear gun,and AWC-CQB can, and one of the Vector 53's, very happy with all, will not part with any.

Agree with one individual about states laws, again, just the way it goes.

Have to consider what you want to do with the guns, I like doing subgun competitions, and Assault Rifle at Knob Creek.

Soon will be transitioning from the Vector to a M-1 Garand for KCR Assault Rifle and other shoots at a couple of clubs I go to regular.

Thanks and glad I found this board

Bob
Old February 17, 2006, 11:12 AM   #16
barnetmill

I do know of a case where a friend with a manufacturer's license had a very unpleasant visit from the BATF due to their screwup. He at times does make silencers (mainly .300 whisper on AR15 rifles) and the shop has no machine guns. The BATF apparently lost track of the paperwork for a M16 and somehow apparently had attached part of an electronic file of it to his folder. It took one of their agents three days of searching his shop before they were apparently satisfied that he did not have the M16. He is still in business.
I would not own any NFA weapon. It is just too dangerous. I am little person without a lot of money and I greatly fear organizations that carry guns and could put you in jail even when you have not done anything wrong. Next round of elections the democratic party has a good chance of winning and such people are capable of anything. I suspect someday like in England or Australia I and others will have to turn in most our non-NFA weapons. People with NFA weapons could receive a lot of attention like being called and treated as terriorists and such.
Old February 17, 2006, 12:50 PM   #17
AK103K

Quote:
...I and others will have to turn in most our non-NFA weapons.
If it comes to this, whats it matter what you own, and why turn them in, thats when your going to need them the most.

Quote:
People with NFA weapons could receive a lot of attention like being called and treated as terriorists and such.
Old February 17, 2006, 01:44 PM   #18
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
People with NFA weapons could receive a lot of attention like being called and treated as terriorists and such.
Along with people that post on gun related boards, subscribe to gun magazines, are members of gun related clubs, possess CCWs, have filled out 4473s, visit public gun ranges, purchase hunting licenses, buy gun related accessories and ammo with credit cards, by mail order or over the internet, write gun related letters to politicians and newspapers, etc.

You really think you can stay under the radar if it comes down to it?
Old February 17, 2006, 03:29 PM   #19
barnetmill

I would not like to be at the top of the list.

Hkmp5sd you are right that you cannot stay under the radar, but out of millions of people, I would not like to be at the top of the list.

I have learned to be proficient with revolvers and mauser rifles and hopefully can legally hold on to these longer than some of the other still legal non-NFA firearms that I own. An illegal gun is not very useful to own since you can not use it outside of your home. I suspect with modern detection equipment it would be very hard to hid anything.

By the way machine guns are fun to shoot and I fire them when ever someone will let me shoot theirs. I particularly like the russian DP28 and american BAR.
Old June 1, 2006, 12:52 PM   #20
Mike40-11

Quote:
I paid $800 for my MP5 and $225 for my M11/9mm
Are you trying to make me cry?