The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 21, 2018, 06:37 PM   #26
Buckeye!

Im a Ruger fan ... But the 686 is a great revolver...
Old March 21, 2018, 07:38 PM   #27
amd6547

I owned a 3” SP101 for a while, and had no issues shooting full power 357 in it. I liked everything about it, except that it didn’t shoot to point of aim.
The 686 4” I owned was a great revolver, but for whatever reason, I just didn’t click with it. Maybe because I prefer the K-frames.

There certainly were Canadian GP100 3” police revolvers, but they were 38spl’s. Some have bored out the chambers to 357.
As for being too heavy, I have carried my 3” GP with its compact grip in an IWB holster CCW. At home, it wears Hogue wood. It is my main home defense pistol, loaded with Critical Defense 125gn, which does 1350fps in that 3” barrel.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:19 PM   #28
MR.G

627 S&W Performance Center 8 shot 3" V-COMP with removable compensator.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:40 PM   #29
geologist

I like my S&W 19-4.

No locks!!!!!

Old March 22, 2018, 06:17 AM   #30
USSR

Quote:
I like my S&W 19-4.

No locks!!!!!
Even more than that. No MIM, no crush-fit barrel, and no EDM rifling. Oh, and as I said previously, watch it appreciate in value.

Don
Old March 22, 2018, 11:55 AM   #31
Real Gun

Quote:
Doc_Holliday_1950 wrote:
best rated 357 in mag. 2" - 3"

I presently have a S&W 686plus 357 in magnum 3" revolver. I really really like this S&W.
My question is who makes the best 357 in magnum revolver
2" to 3". NO POLY
Do you want something new?

Will you be wanting to carry it concealed?

Do you carry OWB or something else?

Should we assume that a barrel at that short length is a carry gun?

I was in a gun shop this AM and examined an example of the Kimber. It looks classy next to some of the finishes of other guns. Dry firing was much more impressive than others. However, I have seen one fired at the range, and it can punish the shooter, if not really up to it.
Old March 22, 2018, 03:59 PM   #32
Doc Holliday 1950

Excellent answers. Thanks everyone!
Will now do my homework!

Doc
Old March 22, 2018, 04:32 PM   #33
SAYOC01

Kimber K6 3"

I have 2, 3" 357 magnums.I have a S&W model 65 3" & a Kimber K6 3"! I like the Kimber the best & edc it quite often.I don't feel the recoil is harsh....I'm 74 & have no problem with it!
Jim
Old March 22, 2018, 07:43 PM   #34
PatientWolf

I really like my 3” SP-101, but that configuration has been mentioned before.
Old March 22, 2018, 07:59 PM   #35
bwcaq

I'm going to have to place my vote for the Kimber. I picked up a 2" recently, and I've been really impressed with it.

For carry, I appreciate how they've rounded all of the corners and edges. Well built and a good trigger, too.
Old March 23, 2018, 12:01 AM   #36
BluRidgDav

I have a three .357 magnum revolvers and have owned a few others, which ended up sold or traded away due to various shortcomings.

My PC 686+ with 6" bbl is the most comfortable for firing magnum ammunition (duh). It's larger internal parts geometry and Wolff springs also give it the lightest & smoothest trigger pull(s). Besides the long barrel, it's 46oz loaded weight, make concealed carry out of the question. But, a finer woods gun would be hard to find! If it had a 3" bbl, like the OP's gun, I'd recommend he stop looking for a better .357 revolver! Buy lot's of ammo, a good holster, and enjoy his 686+.

But, something makes me "think" that the OP really wants a smaller-framed .357?

I also have a S&W 60-10 with 3" bbl. It is a welterweight powerhouse! With Hogue tamer grips, I can fire magnum ammo competently, but, not continuously & comfortably. That's OK, I practice a lot with .38's and fire enough .357's to stay familiar with recoil management. Wolff springs improved the trigger pull(s), but, it's not nearly as well as my 686+. At 27oz loaded and with it's fish-hook shaped hammer, I carry it concealed on a belt, not in a pocket.

I recently bought a Kimber K6s with 3" bbl and it will probably replace the model 60 very soon as my carry revolver. It's trigger is better and I haven't even replaced any springs, yet. It's DAO & de-horned all over, right outta the box, which allows me to shoot magnum ammo more comfortably and longer. It's 3oz heavier, but, holds 6 rounds instead of 5, so, I consider that a good trade-off. Those extra 3oz also help soak up about 10% of magnum recoil. That's not a huge difference, but noticeable. The sights on the K6s are more like those found on a duty automatic pistol: highly visible, snag-free, and rugged. They are drift adjustable for windage, or easily replaced for elevation. I haven't needed to do either; all of my shots have landed precisely behind the front sight dot, from point blank range to fifty feet. The only thing that I'm waiting for; is aftermarket grip makers to discover the K6s. The factory walnut grips are beautiful and of adequate size, but, they are a bit too smooth. The gun rotates in my hand during rapid fire and I'd like a few more options to test. Overall, the K6s is my new favorite .357 revolver. It's perfectly sized for concealed belt carry, and while a bit big/heavy for pant pockets, it's so sleek that it rides in a winter coat pocket very nicely.

Last edited by BluRidgDav; March 23, 2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old March 23, 2018, 07:53 PM   #37
Doc Holliday 1950

My reason for asking about everyone's thoughts on a 2-3" 357 in magnum revolver is my 686 plus 3" is a tad heavy to carry concealed. My G19 is easier to carry, but I deep down feel that a 357 has better stopping power. Actually trying to see if a 2.5" or a 2.75" can handle a full 357 mag load as well as the 686 plus 3". There are some pretty fierce animals floating around my area. Some on 4 legs & some on 2 legs & some with no legs.

Doc
Old March 23, 2018, 10:24 PM   #38
Sgt127

Go on the hunt for a Ruger Speed Six. Or a 2 3/4” Security Six.

A 3” S&W 65 is another great choice.

A Colt Lawman.

Current? The Kimber K6 is very cool.
Old March 24, 2018, 07:12 AM   #39
wilburmay

Best 357

Pic worth a thousand words
Thanks
Wilbur
Old March 24, 2018, 07:18 AM   #40
Real Gun

Quote:
My reason for asking about everyone's thoughts on a 2-3" 357 in magnum revolver is my 686 plus 3" is a tad heavy to carry concealed. My G19 is easier to carry, but I deep down feel that a 357 has better stopping power. Actually trying to see if a 2.5" or a 2.75" can handle a full 357 mag load as well as the 686 plus 3". There are some pretty fierce animals floating around my area. Some on 4 legs & some on 2 legs & some with no legs.
"can handle" is a measure of recoil and the shooter's control, I think. We should expect a lighter weight gun to allow more energy transfer to the shooter. My smaller .357s get either Speer Short Barrel, hoping I don't have to use it, or a custom reload in 357 cases. Those who don't reload would typically opt for 38 Special after trying to like the gun with 357 Magnum ammo.
Old March 24, 2018, 07:32 AM   #41
Minorcan

I gotta weigh in, I own or have owned all these;

Ruger 101 - was well made quality piece. I didn’t care for the cyl release action. It had a good DA/SA trigger but not great. The SA was not as good as it could have been.

Ruger LCR - Quality, fit and finish not as good as the 101. It had a better DA trigger but I didn’t like the loose cyl release or its action. I no longer have it

Kimber K6s - High quality fit and finish. The crane has a tight lock up. Has a unique look to it. The trigger is excellent but not quiet as good as the S&W below. The main issue I have with it is it weighs a ton for no reason. It would make an awful carry weapon for this reason so it got relegated to a range only gun and for that purpose there are better choices. I no longer have it.

S&W Model 60 Performance Center - Very high quality, fit and finish. The crane line up is almost invisible as it should be. Very tight lock up even after many and I mean many rounds of .357 mag through it. The DA trigger is heavy as it should be and very smooth with zero catches to it. The SA trigger is superb, no take up, just a smooth very crisp light break. It is the same every time. The great trigger makes this a very accurate shooter for such a short barrel and sight radius. It was the most accurate of the lot for this reason. They take their time with these guns and the difference in price for the Performance Center mods are well worth the price.

To summarize the S&W Model 60 is the hands down winner. I think it has the best design and has been proven over time. The Rutgers tough good quality guns have some design things I just didn’t care for but they are good guns and I can see why so many people like them , especially the 101. I never did figure out what the Kimber guys had in mind, not sure they did either. It’s a great well made gun but I never could figure out what to so with it other than sell it off.

I have several S&Ws and have never had any issues.
Old March 24, 2018, 07:43 AM   #42
dano1200r

Pic worth a thousand words

Thanks

Wilbur

Here you go

Mod 65 with a CT laser grip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old March 24, 2018, 07:53 AM   #43
Dan-O

You already own it.
Old March 24, 2018, 07:59 AM   #44
Don P

My input is S&W 649 J-Frame 25.1 oz. loaded
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 24, 2018, 08:03 AM   #45
Real Gun

Quote:
S&W Model 60 Performance Center - Very high quality, fit and finish. The crane line up is almost invisible as it should be. Very tight lock up even after many and I mean many rounds of .357 mag through it. The DA trigger is heavy as it should be and very smooth with zero catches to it. The SA trigger is superb, no take up, just a smooth very crisp light break. It is the same every time. The great trigger makes this a very accurate shooter for such a short barrel and sight radius. It was the most accurate of the lot for this reason. They take their time with these guns and the difference in price for the Performance Center mods are well worth the price.
I have that gun, and it is everything you say. I don't shoot it and would like to sell it, because it, typical of ECM rifling, leads badly and requires more expensive bullets. I bought an older 60-10, which is the better choice for what I do.

On the Kimber issue, I would not be critical of the weight, because some real mass is needed to shoot magnum ammo. The K6 does not pretend to be a pocket gun or for men with droopy pants and no suspenders.
Old March 24, 2018, 08:20 AM   #46
amd6547

I found the 2.5" model 19 I owned for a while to be an easy to carry, accurate revolver. I used it with the small wood magna grips and Tyler t grip.
Old March 24, 2018, 01:07 PM   #47
BWM

YOU HAVE THE BEST 686+ The M19 is also a very good gun liter to carry The rug 100 is also a good gun Taurus 65 is also good gun. You have the best of all and the very best trigger pull.

Last edited by BWM; March 24, 2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old March 24, 2018, 02:15 PM   #48
Carmady

Quote:
My reason for asking about everyone's thoughts on a 2-3" 357 in magnum revolver is my 686 plus 3" is a tad heavy to carry concealed.
It looks like you want a lighter S&W .357. I doubt if there's much weight difference between a 2.5"-3" 686 and a 3" K-frame.

You might like a 3" J-frame .357. Uncle Mike's 59007 grips (ebay) will help a lot.

Maybe you can find one of these jewels:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 a 649-2 3in full lug.jpg (67.2 KB, 24 views)
Old March 24, 2018, 10:41 PM   #49
Doc Holliday 1950

I don’t want anyone to think that my
686 plus 3” isn’t a superb revolver.
For me, it’s superbly made & the DA
& SA is great. I haven’t tricked it out
& it’s accuracy is the best that I’ve
Encountered not being an expert. The
balance is perfect for me. It’s just
sometimes uncomfortable to carry.
Maybe I’m being foolish to complain
about the weight!
I agree about the Ruger 101 & LCR.
& I’ve never handled the Kimber.
Just don’t know as much as I should
about S&Ws.

Doc
Old March 24, 2018, 11:03 PM   #50
Viper225

I have a 3" DAO Custom Shop S&W 66. A very good choice.
I also have a 3" Adjustable Sight GP100. Great gun, but as you mentioned about your 686+ it is a tad heavy.
A 3" SP101 is another good choice, just a round short of a load.
I also have a 2" DAO Custom Shop 64.

As mentioned above a 3" 65 is also a great choice.

The Pinned on front sight is another thing to keep in mind. You can change the front sight to Fiber Optic or Tritium.

I recommend staying away from the 2-1/2" one's due to the Short Ejector Rod, unless you find something you really like. They are slower to reload.

Bob R