The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 28, 2019, 11:01 AM   #1
chaim

Holster for CZ P01 with light (and light suggestions)

I don't usually ask for holster suggestions (occasionally). Holsters are very personal and we all have our preferences. However, I am going out of my usual zone here and need help.

I now have 3 compact CZ's: a CZ P01, a CZ PCR and a CZ 75 Compact. Instead of using them somewhat interchangeably, I'm going to try to maximize their utility by taking advantages of their differences. The Compact with its heavier steel frame will get more range time, and will be carried over shorter time periods. The PCR will be the primary CCW workhorse. Instead of selling the P01 now that I have the PCR I always wanted, I'm going to utilize the rails. When I was younger I wasn't a big fan of lights on a carry or home defense pistol. You don't want to point the gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy, and the reason for the light is to identify your target. So, I was always a big proponent of using a handheld light instead, using the light to ID the target while keeping the gun pointed a bit away from the target or at the low ready while IDing the target. Well, as I get older, I have been having some issues in my hands (trigger finger and other issues with my knuckles) so when it is really acting up, manipulating both a gun and light aren't really realistic. So, I'm going to put lights on my P01 (for night CCW) as well as the SIG P250 Compact I use for home defense.

So, the first question is what light to use. I'll probably go with something from Streamlight since my handheld 'tactical' light is a Streamlight and I'm happy with it, or maybe Surefire since they are also such a big name, but I'm flexible and open to suggestions. It does need to be common enough that I can find a holster to go with the CZ P01/light combo, which brings me to my main question...

What holster for that combo? There are plenty of options out there for a gun without a light. The CZ P01 does limit that a little, but there are still a lot of options out there. My usual preferences are the hybrid holsters for a larger gun (comfort, spread the weight out on the belt), but I am open to (and possibly leaning towards) a more traditional IWB holster. I do like my IWB holsters to be tuckable, even if I don't always use that option I like having it. When I don't go with a hybrid I usually like all leather, but I'm open to change (and I suspect it would be easier to find a gun/light combo holster in kydex). I would prefer the $40-60 range, but I'm open to something more or less expensive (so long as it isn't junk on the one end or substantially over $100 on the other end).
Old April 28, 2019, 11:42 AM   #2
chaim

As for the light, on first look, based on price, features, and Amazon reviews, I'm leaning towards the Streamlight TLR-8 light/laser combo (I will mainly use the laser for dry fire practice, but I do see the utility for nighttime self defense).
Old April 28, 2019, 11:52 AM   #3
chaim

Oh, another question. I'm a newbie to rail mounted accessories having avoided them in the past. How easy are they to move from one gun to another? I have several guns with rails now (my P01, my new to me SIG P229, my S&W M&P40c, my SIG P250 Compact) and when using one for home defense (or taking it out at night for CCW in a state where I can carry) it would be nice to use the same light. If I go with a laser/light combo, I know I'd have to re-zero the laser each time I moved it and I'd be best off with a different unit for any gun I'd want to use with it (and to leave it on the gun 100% of the time). However, if I go with a light only unit, I assume I'd be fine moving it back and forth (assuming it is as simple as I suspect to actually move them from one gun's rail to another).

Depending upon the answer here, I may lean towards one of the Streamlight dedicated lights, or maybe the light/laser combo to keep on the P01 all the time plus a light only to move between the other guns depending upon circumstances.