The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 22, 2019, 01:40 PM   #1
OhioGuy

9mm AR platforms

I'm looking at getting a 9mm carbine for fun and maybe some competition at a local indoor range. I'm not seeing much...

Just Right Carbines makes some 9mm AR-like rifles.

Another popular one seems to be from Palmetto State Armory, what they call their AR-9 -- only complaint I see about that one is the lack of a bolt hold-open on empty.

Are there other options I should consider? I'd like to stay at $800 or below. Both of the above options fit the price.
Old March 22, 2019, 01:46 PM   #2
9x19

Foxtrot Mike Products.

If I were starting today, that's where I'd spend my money. They have the best last round hold open design too, IMO.

Brownells carries their stuff, and they make both pistol and carbine length uppers (with side charging that works).
Old March 22, 2019, 04:11 PM   #3
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Foxtrot Mike Products.

If I were starting today, that's where I'd spend my money. They have the best last round hold open design too, IMO.

Brownells carries their stuff, and they make both pistol and carbine length uppers (with side charging that works).
I hadn't heard of them before. Looks like I buy the parts and assemble myself? I'm pretty new to the AR world
Old March 22, 2019, 07:21 PM   #4
TruthTellers

Get the PSA. I've seen prices at $550 for them. Last round hold open isn't a necessity.
Old March 22, 2019, 09:30 PM   #5
weblance

There are two ways to go... Colt Pattern, or Glock. Colt made the first 9mm AR-15 in 1982. It uses a straight double stack magazine, and operates just like a rifle caliber AR-15. Because of the straight on feed angle from the magazine, they run better with a Round Nosed FMJ, or a Hollow Point that has a round nose bullet profile. All Colt pattern 9mm AR-15 HAVE a LRBHO(Last Round Bolt Hold Open)

The Glock type came later. They are similar in operation, but use a magazine catch that is different from an AR-15, although the release button IS in the correct place. MOST Glock type lowers DO NOT have a LRBHO, although a few do. Because of the slightly angled presentation of the round into the chamber, the Glock type is a bit more forgiving as to the type of Hollow Point bullet profile they will run reliably.

Uppers will work with either style lower, but there is some interchange complications with the bolt styles. A Colt pattern bolt will not run on a Glock lower without some clearance mods A Glock bolt will run on a Colt lower. A bolt that is a "hybrid", will run on either lower.

I have both style lowers, and several uppers. My Glock lowers are PSA, and I have two complete CMMG Colt style 9mm AR-15s, a carbine, and a pistol. I like the Colt pattern better because of the LRBHO. I have found them to be 100% reliable with Remington Golden Saber HP ammo. I do like the Glock lowers though, because Glock magazines are available everywhere, and they are reasonably priced., The Colt style mags aren't expensive, but you dont see them in every gun shop you enter
Old March 22, 2019, 09:45 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

The nice thing about Colt is you can buy an Uzi mag and modify it to fit the Colt (you cut out some metal for the mag catch. Got dremel and needle files?
Old March 23, 2019, 12:04 AM   #7
stagpanther

I've built several flavors of the 9mm AR (which is very easy to do, with a blowback all you have to do is spin the barrel nut on, no gas block or tube to worry about). The last one I did was using Colt's magwell adaptor which I think hits the price-point functionality spot just right. This also allows you to convert back and forth to/from conventional AR lowers. Of all the alternatives I tried--it worked the best without issues once the adaptor is positioned properly. It also has a built in feed ramp (the dedicated Glock flavor I have does not) which I think definitely aids in getting the cartridges aligned right to the chamber with fewer jams. Colt mags also don't have as much of a pitch angle to the cartridges as Glock's do--which again I think reduces jam probability.

The last round carrier hold back feature has also functioned without any issues--on my dedicated PC lowers the heavier carriers and springs (which you must use in a blowback design) can slam the bolt catch lever pretty hard, I've gone through more than a couple broken ones until I found one made of hard enough steel that would withstand the impact of the carrier. I've never been able to find a tungsten one in stock anywhere--but that's what I'd put on it if I could.

The 9x19 cartridge becomes a different beast out of a carbine than it is in a pistol, significantly boosting it's range, performance and accuracy; especially if you reload. It is also some of the most brain-dead silly shooting FUN you can have with an AR of any type IMO.
Old March 23, 2019, 08:12 AM   #8
9x19

OhioGuy,

Assembling a complete upper to a complete lower (when purchased separately) is a very simple matter of two push pins. youtube will have tons of videos showing how simple it is.
Old March 23, 2019, 08:34 AM   #9
smee78

If I were to get a new gun today I would likely get the Glock mag model from PSA. Glock mags are reliable and fairly cheap.

Just for S&G I will say I have a Olympic Arms 9MM upper? that uses Sten mags, it is a great setup that uses a standard lower with a mag block and 32 rouns Sten mags, only thing I'm worried about is if it breaks finding parts will be hell.

Last edited by smee78; March 23, 2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old March 25, 2019, 09:15 AM   #10
MagnumWill

One thing to consider, if you want to build your 9mm AR upper from scratch, it being a blowback there's no gas system to deal with so it's super easy.

Upper + barrel + torque wrench - done
Add handguard
Install on lower.

..but then you get to choose the exact length of barrel you want and the upper you want.

BTW if you take this route... I'd recommend an action block. My Reaction Rod doesn't work so good on barrels with no locking lugs

I built this one (minus the sights) for under $900. I assembled it over the course of four months, grabbing deals as they came up.

QC10 blemish lower (on sale)- $182
QC10 blemish upper - $120
QC10 handguard (on sale) -$145
BCA barrel - $65
LPK - $60ish for a decent one
CMMG bolt - $180
SBA3 brace on sale $99

Last edited by MagnumWill; March 25, 2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old April 20, 2019, 04:30 PM   #11
Logs

I have a Spikes and Colt model. Both are fun to shoot and accurate. I had JRC and didn’t like how it shot, heavy, and too much blow back in your face.

My new favorite though is the Sig MPX 9mm. Runs very smooth, but is pricey. Good luck
Old April 21, 2019, 09:11 AM   #12
ROCK6

I picked up an ATI Mil-Sport "pistol" for around $500. Very impressed and it's actually been a solid shooter. The only downside is no last-round bolt hold-open. Most with that are over the 1K mark unless you add an aftermarket kit.

ROCK6
Old April 21, 2019, 09:21 AM   #13
precision_shooter

Not really ARish but I like the Extar EP9 and the EP10.
The EP10 (10mm) pistol will be my next gun purchase, if it ever hits the market.
If I didn’t already have a superb 9mm carbine (CZ Scorpion) I’d get the Extar EP9
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 21, 2019, 11:19 AM   #14
Elkins45

As a lefty I can tell you I wish I had never spent the money on one. I feel like my eyebrows are being burned off every time I shoot it.

Mine is a PSA Glock lower, but it wouldn’t matter if it were another brand.

Do you already have an AR? If so then consider the Sylvan Arms magwell block. It takes Glock mags and has a built in ejector. So far it seems to work flawlessly.
Old April 21, 2019, 08:56 PM   #15
rallyhound

I have a freedom ordnance fx-9 and it is a superb weapon in every sense.
highly recommended at around 600 bucks.

https://freedomordnance.com/fx-9-pistol/

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.