The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 11, 2014, 08:25 PM   #1
mete

Why We Have Guns

This case should become a classic of why we should have guns. Although no info was given about training the parents did well even with great risk to their daughter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-HIS-gun.html

Without the guns they may well have been killed. The BGs of course had guns despite prohibition against the criminals having guns
Old June 12, 2014, 10:40 PM   #2
oldcabin

Yep. Got to see that one on the local news last night. Usually its bad guy shooting bad guy stories in that part of town. I was glad to hear the good outcome for the family.
Old June 13, 2014, 08:28 AM   #3
dgerwin11

I am somewhat concerned by the mother not hitting anyone. If you have a gun for home protection, I think it would be a liability and danger if you are not proficient with it.

If we cherish our right to self protection, we need to accept the responsibility of becoming and remaining proficient.
Old June 13, 2014, 08:53 AM   #4
BobCat45

I agree with you but at least she did not hit her daughter. If you're going to miss, missing everybody is better than missing the aggressor and hitting the hostage.

...and who knows? Never having been in a gunfight I don't feel qualified to criticize her shooting. Maybe she prints tiny, well-centered groups at the range but with her daughter at risk, for real, she did not shoot as well as she would have had it been a day at the range.
Old June 13, 2014, 12:21 PM   #5
doofus47

dgerwiin
Quote:
I am somewhat concerned by the mother not hitting anyone. If you have a gun for home protection, I think it would be a liability and danger if you are not proficient with it.
I'm not sure. No one said she was/wasn't proficient. Maybe she did train but not for this scenario. Maybe her hands were covered with butter b/c she was baking a pie. Maybe she was firing into the ground to distract the BG while her husband took the shooting angle. Maybe anything. If she had fired into a crowd behind the bad guys and hit X bystanders, then maybe criticism would be called for. There's not enough info in the article to generate a critique, in my opinion.