The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 17, 2011, 04:03 PM   #1
bikerbill

What to do in Wisconsin?

My wife's family is planning a reunion later this year at The Dells in Wisconsin, and we plan to drive. With Iowa joining the club, my Texas CHL is now good all the way to Wisconsin, if I skirt Illinois (the scene of our last domestic reunion, ur most recent was a cruise, so I'm three for three being disarmed by my in-laws). I hate to take a long road trip unarmed, but if I have to bury my gun at the border and dig it up again on the way home, I won't be happy. I know there is a federal law regarding the transportation of guns which lets you keep them locked and empty in the trunk ... will that work for the three days we'll be visiting in Wisconsin? Are there local laws that might make it possible for that to work, or will I be hauled off in chains if the gun is discovered? I know Wisconsin is working on a CC law, so maybe it will happen before we leave ... What do you think?
Old March 17, 2011, 04:14 PM   #2
DTesch357

"It is unlawful to possess, place, or transport in or on any aircraft, vehicle, ATV, or any motor-driven boat while the motor is running, any firearm unless such firearm is unloaded and in a case, and it is also unlawful to load or fire any firearm from such aircraft or vehicle. This prohibition does not apply to vehicles being used to transport individuals in sport shooting activities at sport shooting ranges."

As long as the gun is unloaded and in a case, you should be fine. I live in Illinois, but own 40 acres in Wisconsin, so I'm bringing guns into and out of the state on a regular basis.

The in order for a case to be valid, it MUST close completely and be fastened, either with clasps, latches, zipper, etc. Also, the ammunition must be stored in a separate container from the firearm.

I throw my guns in cases in the bed of my truck, and I have the ammo in dry storage boxes, also in the bed. I have a locking hard tinneau cover, so it works to keep them secured when I stop for a bite to eat or whatever.
Old March 17, 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
bikerbill

Thanks, DT ... is the law you quoted federal or Wisconsin?
Old March 17, 2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Pahoo

Here is a Website that has been very helpful to me and others that I refered. Spend a little bit of time in here and this should answer your questions. My compliments on seeking anseres on keeping legal. Hope it helps .....
Hope you enjoy the Midwest as much as I enjoy Texas .....

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Be Safe !!!
Old March 17, 2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill
is the law you quoted federal or Wisconsin?
According to this article from the Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, having a firearm cased and unloaded in a vehicle (or elsewhere) is fine. The article also notes that open carry is legal, but I've read elsewhere that it's sort of "at your own risk," in that at least in some places you're liable to be busted for disturbing the peace or some such.

And according to the same article, Wisconsin law specifically prohibits counties, municipalities, and such from passing laws more restrictive than the state ones, so as long as you're complying with state law, you should be fine anywhere.

There's also a useful summary of Wisconsin handgun laws here, on the handgunlaw.us website.
Old March 17, 2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act) is the Federal law that allows you to transport (not carry) firearms through gun-hostile states if you are engaged in interstate travel. In the hostile state(s), the gun(s) must be unloaded and either in the vehicle's trunk or, if there's no trunk, in a locked case not easily accessible to the driver.

The FOPA begins with the premise that yoiur possession of the gun(s) must be legal in the state where the journey begins, and in the state where the journey ends. Therefore, since your journey will end at a family reuinion in Wisconsin, the operative question will be "Is it legal for me to possess [not "carry"] this firearm in Wisconsin?" If the answer is "Yes," then the FOPA applies and you can take the gun with you.

Once you get to Wisconsin, whether or not you can carry the gun while out and about is subject to Wisconsin law.
Old March 18, 2011, 04:51 PM   #7
markj

You will have a better chance of getting hurt by a duck than you will need a gun in Wis thm ducks can be dangerous

Dont fret it just go and have a good time. I been there many times and never had any troubles of any kind, them folks are friendly
Old March 18, 2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Webleymkv

Actually, you don't have to avoid IL unless you want to be able to CC right up to the WI border. If you follow the guidelines that DT84 outlined, you'd be legal in IL too (that is how I transport firearms when I visit family in IL). The only caveat is that I don't believe IL has a preemption law so certain localities (particularly Chicago and the surrounding area) may be different but FOPA would still protect you so long as you don't stop in any such place.
Old March 18, 2011, 05:52 PM   #9
DiscoRacing

My mom still lives in wisc... and I go there every spring to fish.... have to case/unload every time there..
Old March 18, 2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Peachy

What to do in Wisconsin..

Join the TEA party and vote Republican or Libertarian.
Old March 18, 2011, 09:38 PM   #11
geetarman

Think about Wisconsin. . .9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding.:barf:

Think about Arizona. Gun friendly, great places to shoot. What is not to like.

Rethink the reunion and join in the real fun

Geetarman
Old March 19, 2011, 03:53 AM   #12
8shot357

WI is mild, chill, your not in Milwaukee or Chicago.

I'd be more worried about hitting deer. Big deer!!! Take the Dell tour too.