The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 4, 2020, 03:13 PM   #51
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
Thanks for the info, so now we all know what's really going on. Seems to me you went about this the correct way. Colt is the one that should make it right. Let us know how things turn out.

The smith said he can replace the spring, but he’s backed up, so it may be a week or two.
Old January 4, 2020, 03:53 PM   #52
stinkeypete

I hope your wife used a credit card for this purchase. If so, call the credit card company and plan to put a "hold" on the payment. Then check with the retailer where it was purchased. The retailer should make it good immediately, if not- I would stop payment. The item is broken out of the box.

It's a terrible story because that is a very thoughtful gift from your wife!
Old January 4, 2020, 04:45 PM   #53
Eazyeach

This makes me sad. That revolver looks so nice , it’s a shame Colt didn’t assemble it correctly. And I tried not to get excited about the new python, but I think I’ll wait a good while and let others test them out first.

Last edited by Eazyeach; January 4, 2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old January 4, 2020, 06:21 PM   #54
SPEMack618

To be honest, as a counter jockey, we don't do a damn thing with Colt guns other than put them in the case.

So many of them get bought by "collectors" whom are really flippers and demand the gun to be factory perfect.
Old January 4, 2020, 06:59 PM   #55
JERRYS.

Clearly Colt did not test fire this gun, so it should not have a spent shell casing that is required to go to the police in some states. this is just poor quality assurance. if you sent it back today, come St. Patrick's Day check for a tracking number back to you.

Last edited by JERRYS.; January 4, 2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old January 4, 2020, 09:50 PM   #56
L-2

For Post_55, it's my understanding there are no longer any more states requiring a spent casing, which means it's not clear whether Colt test-fired the revolver or not.
Old January 5, 2020, 11:03 AM   #57
Carmady

Quote:
The smith said he can replace the spring, but he’s backed up, so it may be a week or two.
I hope having the 'smith work on it won't void the warranty. We're living in strange times.
Old January 5, 2020, 12:09 PM   #58
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
For Post_55, it's my understanding there are no longer any more states requiring a spent casing, which means it's not clear whether Colt test-fired the revolver or not.
Hard to believe, that a company that is so revered, would not test fire a revolver, that is deemed by so many, to be of such high quality, to be worth significantly more than competitors, that do test fire.

Could be the spring broke during the test fire. Could be the spring was broken by some interested customer dry firing it, before the wifey purchased it. Regardless, the fix should be on Colt's dime and should be done in a timely matter. Could very well be there is something else going on to be breaking the spring.

My two cents is, the OP's wife paid a premium price for a supposedly premium product and as such, should receive premium customer service. Colt also has to include this defect in their records for quality control. Send it in.
Old January 5, 2020, 02:42 PM   #59
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I’ll update when I get it back and report if the spring was broken or never installed.
Quote:
OK, I'm a little confused. You took the gun to a local smith, and he determined (through a function check, not disassembly?) that the spring was either missing or broken. Right?

Is the gun going back to Colt for repair, or are you going to have the local guy do it?? I am unclear on this.

If it is "just" a broken spring having your local smith replace it will fix the gun, (and if its ONLY two weeks, faster than I expect Colt would) but it does nothing to fix the problem. And, as mentioned, could possibly violate the warranty, so that if (if anything else goes wrong) Colt may not have to fix it.

It is possible the spring broke /was missing during the test fire, some companies only test fire one round. Seems unlikely though that if it did, that it wasn't noticed...

Also possible Colt did NOT test fire the gun. Seems obvious they did not properly inspect the gun before shipment, so not test firing it might have been deliberate, or it might have been another screw up not caught by their QC. I don't know what Colt's standard is, today.

I'm told S&W fires every other chamber (once) as their test fire. I know at one time Ruger was said to fire all six, and not clean the gun before shipping. (proving the test fire was done) I do not know if they still do this today, or not.

Quote:
Hard to believe, that a company that is so revered, would not test fire a revolver, that is deemed by so many, to be of such high quality, to be worth significantly more than competitors, that do test fire.
At one time, and for a long, long time, Colt's quality and the reverence of it was deserved. No more.

A Colt was the primary Army service pistol since before the Civil War until 1984. Yes, other guns were used, and in significant numbers (S&W, primarily) and all those GI 1911A1s not directly manufactured by Colt, but it was still considered a "Colt", even if it had another makers name on it.

Immense prestige, and deserved due to generations of good products and service. No more. Colt has been living off that reputation, and NOT the quality of their guns for the last 50 years or so. The exception being the Python, which was the top of the line showpiece gun.

The Colt of today is not the Colt of days long past. Nor, apparently are their products. The shining quality of the Colt name has been, and is being further tarnished every time they ship a defective gun.

Might be the Internet making things more visible, so problems seem larger than they actually are. I don't know about that. What I do know is Colt's reputation for being high quality and worth the price isn't what it once was.
Old January 5, 2020, 04:10 PM   #60
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete
I hope your wife used a credit card for this purchase. If so, call the credit card company and plan to put a "hold" on the payment. Then check with the retailer where it was purchased. The retailer should make it good immediately, if not- I would stop payment. The item is broken out of the box.
I disagree. The OP's issue is with Colt, not the gun shop.

If you buy a new Ford Mustang and it has a problem, you don't get to stop payment unless the dealer gives you a different car. The car gets repaired under warranty. In the case of motor vehicles, the repairs are carried out at dealerships, but they are paid for by the manufacturer, not by the dealer. Why should a gun shop be held hostage because Colt shipped a defective firearm? I'm pretty certain that Colt's warranty calls for returning the firearm to Colt for repair, not screwing over the gun shop that sold it.
Jeepaholic
Old January 6, 2020, 07:56 AM   #61
Lohman446

Quote:
If you buy a new Ford Mustang and it has a problem, you don't get to stop payment unless the dealer gives you a different car. The car gets repaired under warranty. In the case of motor vehicles, the repairs are carried out at dealerships, but they are paid for by the manufacturer, not by the dealer. Why should a gun shop be held hostage because Colt shipped a defective firearm? I'm pretty certain that Colt's warranty calls for returning the firearm to Colt for repair, not screwing over the gun shop that sold it.
While I understand the concept that their is no warranty expressed or implied by the shop that sold it that needs to be pretty explicit. If I buy a "dead on arrival" item from a retailer I expect the retailer to work with the manufacturer and make it right. Not to force me to jump through hoops.

Imagine taking your vehicle back to the dealership you bought it from only to be told you were responsible to arrange shipping several states away and wait 8 weeks for it. Or taking a smaller purchased item back to Wal-Mart to be told "talk to the manufacturer"

Like it or not brick and mortar gun shops are giving A LOT of latitude due to the nature of their item. Buyers are not going to continue that forever.
Old January 6, 2020, 09:34 AM   #62
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post

Like it or not brick and mortar gun shops are giving A LOT of latitude due to the nature of their item. Buyers are not going to continue that forever.
In the instance of new guns under warranty, most of the time, the guns have to be returned to the mother ship, or some other "approved" service center. Many times it's just as easy, if not easier for the buyer to do that than the gun shop.
Old January 6, 2020, 09:38 AM   #63
Lohman446

Quote:
In the instance of new guns under warranty, most of the time, the guns have to be returned to the mother ship, or some other "approved" service center. Many times it's just as easy, if not easier for the buyer to do that than the gun shop.
I'm not in disagreement with that and given the paperwork around a pistol purchase (at least in some states) replacing it by the shop is not readily done.

I have no problem with that argument.

The argument I have a problem with is the idea that the gun shop holds ZERO responsibility and somehow a customer who expects a functional item is somehow holding them hostage.
Old January 6, 2020, 10:42 AM   #64
stinkeypete

In the case of a car, if one purchases a new car but then finds it can not even be driven off the lot because it will not start, the DEALER will make it right with the consumer. If after reasonable attempts are made and too many repair attempts are required, the car may qualify under “lemon laws” and the consumer does not pay.

When using a credit card (and as I understand it NOT a store specific credit card... things like a cabelas club card might be a bit of a grey area, I am not a lawyer)....

The consumer may be protected from defective items under 15 U.S.C. 1661i and CFR 1026.12c

The consumer must make a good faith effort to resolve the problem with the merchant. The Merchant.

If that does not result in a satisfactory resolution, contact the credit card company regarding “claims and defenses”.

Documenting efforts to resolve, letters by us mail and all that formal stuff is required.

It seems to me that if I bought a gun from Colt (paying Colt), they shipped it to an agent that did the transfer... it’s up to Colt to provide a working gun.

If I bought a gun from a store (paying the store), it’s up to them to provide a working gun.

Using a credit card such as Visa or MasterCard provides the consumer with an extra layer of consumer protection.

Simply saying “it’s not our policy” doesn’t relieve the store of its obligations any more than saying “damages to your car in our parking lot due to our negligent employees is not our problem” relieves them of responsibility.

Hopefully the retailer will be extraordinarily helpful in getting a working Premium class revolver to the consumer, and the consumer will be reasonable in return with their expectations on timeline. I had a minor issue with my new Bearcat last year (sights were in spec but not as accurate as I am able to shoot... off by 2.5 inches at 50’) and Ruger had it back to me in 2 weeks with a test target and a customer that bought a lcrx soon after, confident in the company and its products.

It’s not the Wild West. We enjoy some measure of consumer protection from being cheated.
Old January 7, 2020, 08:27 AM   #65
USNRet93

Quote:
What actions? The retailer didn't make the gun, the manufacturer made the gun, and the manufacturer supplies the warranty and service. Why should the retailer, who had nothing do to with manufacturing, step up and take responsibility for another company's actions.
Called customer service. I owned a retail store for a LONG time and if you never want to see that customer again, give them the shrug and thousand yard stare if they have a warranty issue with something they bought from you..PARTICULARLY in the "anything at any time", interweb age.

PLUS, in MY retail biz, MANY manufacturers/distributors insisted on using a LBS(Local Bike Shop-bicycles, not motorcycles) for any warranty returns. I suspect a motorcycle shop is the same.
Quote:
OP, have you considered asking the store to take it back for a refund? That's what I would do. If you haven't fired it and it doesn't work with dry firing the LGS might agree to a refund. That way you're done with it.
YES!! If the retailer is 'decent', that's exactly what they should do..replace it and then they can go toe to toe with Colt or whomever they got the NEW handgun.

=Customer Service.
Quote:
That retail store likely also sells clothes. Is it their responsibility to check and make sure all the buttons are sewn properly, and that there are no loose threads?
YS IT IS..plus it's the retailer's responsibility to make sure his bought inventory is not only what his customer base wants but are also top quality.
NOTHING hurts a retail biz more than lots of warranty returns..sell junque, get hurt. There was a LOT of 'stuff' I wouldn't sell because it WAS junque. Like one company's bike wheels. All they did was cost me $ trying to take care of them. VERY few manufacturers reimburse retail places for their time($$!)..like shipping costs. Tell a customer they gotta pay shipping back..and that makes them mad at the retailer..'why did you sell this crap to me?', even if they asked for it..retail is tough.
YUP, refuse to warranty returns and that's a ticket to the 'GOOB' sign
(Going Out OF Business).
Quote:
I'm pretty certain that Colt's warranty calls for returning the firearm to Colt for repair, not screwing over the gun shop that sold it.
How is selling junque 'screwing over the gun shop'. GOOD retail business' see that they have a responsibility to 'take care of the customer'. If they essentially take their money then effectively give them the middle finger if something is wrong..they should GOOB.
When I sold something that was junque, and then told the customer to 'contact the manufacturer'..that hurt ME way more than the manufacturer. The retailer is the 'face' of the product, not the company who made it. ..

+lotz, post right below..my LGS also.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; January 7, 2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old January 7, 2020, 08:49 AM   #66
spawndn72

I can tell you that my LGS would have had me another gun from the distributor in a matter of days and would have taken care of the broken one himself. And that's not because I am special, it's because my LGS is. They stand behind every product they sell.
That is also why I wouldn't buy a gun anywhere else.
Old January 8, 2020, 03:09 AM   #67
jjavedas

New Colt King Cobra Target Doesn’t Work

Sorry to hear about this. Your's is not first "King Cobra" i've heard of with one issue or another.Moral of the story, "all that is good is not Colt, All that is Colt is not good". Too bad they stopped making Pythons. That was a revolver Colt with a reputation you could take to the bank.
Hopefully it won't take'em 3 mo. to fix. I don't Know what your wife sacrificed for it, but that kind of B S isn't acceptable from Taurus,let alone Colt.
P.S. maybe get rid of the colt, But definitely, Keep the wife.
Old January 8, 2020, 03:26 AM   #68
jjavedas

After reading other peoples posts about timing not being 100% on, good lord this is a tool that if it malfunctions could kill or maim you? that scares the hell out of me
Old January 8, 2020, 03:29 AM   #69
jjavedas

I presently own a Taurus PT940, that has never failed to go bag when I've asked( not the most accurate, but always worked). and this came from Colt I'll never buy from them.
Old January 8, 2020, 04:26 AM   #70
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Too bad they stopped making Pythons.
Actually, I think its probably a good thing they stopped making Pythons.

Quote:
That was a revolver Colt with a reputation you could take to the bank.
Because if they still were making Pythons they'd probably be making them as well as they are making King Cobras now, and they wouldn't have a reputation you could take to the bank, they'd have a reputation they'd take to bankruptcy court!

the back and forth about who should send it back is interesting, but its a pistol, its not a car, its not a computer, its not a toaster, or a bike, or anything else and while general principles apply there are specific things unique to the situation, because it is a gun.

But that is distracting from the main point, as I see it, which is that Colt is building guns (at least the three reported in this thread, so who knows how many others?) that DO NOT FIRE. This strongly implies that A) they were not test fired at the factory, and B) the people who's job it is to inspect and ensure quality, aren't.

That's 2 problems, not one, and its two of the kind of problem that drive customers away. Look how many people here are saying "I won't buy a Colt" or "another Colt", or "a new Colt..."

I've got a Colt .38, one of the snubnose models. Its about as good as guns get. BUT, it was made 40 some years ago....

sad
Old January 8, 2020, 04:05 PM   #71
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4terrific View Post
I took the King Cobra to a local smitty. He instantly determined the the spring behind the hand was either broken or missing.

When pointing upward, the hand that rotates the cylinder stays back in the frame (with the cylinder open while pulling the hammer spur back).

That’s why it wouldn’t rotate the cylinder when the revolver was pointing upward. No spring tension on the hand allowed it to stay back in the frame.

I’ll update when I get it back and report if the spring was broken or never installed.

The hand tension spring was broken. The gunsmith got a new spring from Colt and replaced it yesterday.

It worked like it was supposed to in the shop, and through 50 rounds of magnum and 50 specials today, it was great!
Old January 8, 2020, 06:26 PM   #72
Targa

Nice, glad it worked out for you!
Old January 8, 2020, 07:41 PM   #73
Bart Noir

Ahem, new Pythons are now being advertised

It seems like a few people have not noticed that news, which is very recent. I didn't say they are being made but it ought to be soon.

Only finish is stainless steel, like the new Cobra and King Cobra models.

Bart Noir
Old January 9, 2020, 01:00 AM   #74
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The hand tension spring was broken. The gunsmith got a new spring from Colt and replaced it yesterday.
ok, you decided to have it fixed, locally, and it has been. Who paid the gunsmith?? (for doing what was covered under warranty?)
Old January 9, 2020, 06:42 AM   #75
CajunBass

Quote:
It seems like a few people have not noticed that news, which is very recent. I didn't say they are being made but it ought to be soon.

Only finish is stainless steel, like the new Cobra and King Cobra models.

Bart Noir
I don't how many, but they are out in the wild. A fellow on the S&W board has gotten his hands on one. On the other hand, my dealer said he hasn't seen any, and doesn't know when he will. However, I did notice a new Colt "banner?" I guess is the word, hanging in the shop.

The wait continues. (BTW. I really like my "new" Cobra. A Python is on my list.)
John 3:16 (NKJV)