The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 11, 2020, 12:54 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I know the BATFE can be inconsistent, but I still haven't figured how this isn't a machine gun.
Again! Because you are pulling essentially two triggers, operating two seperate firing pins to fire two rounds.
Is a double barrel shotgun with two triggers that can be pulled at the same time a machinegun?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; January 11, 2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old January 11, 2020, 01:37 PM   #27
labnoti

Shooting Illustrated reported, "the ATF does make an exception for "volley guns" and allows the manufacture and sale of firearms that fire more than one round with each pull of the trigger, provided that those rounds are fired from separate barrels."

It's not altogether different than a double-barrel shotgun or a derringer that fires both barrels. There are other volley guns like the nock-gun, duckfoot pistol, and organ guns, although most of those have only been produced prior to cartridges.
Old January 11, 2020, 02:08 PM   #28
mrcharlie3531

Did this forum crash there're website?? The link is not responding.
Old January 11, 2020, 04:17 PM   #29
Forte S+W

It's still working for me.
Old January 11, 2020, 08:26 PM   #30
TruthTellers

It's a gun made for very close range self defense, nearly point blank ranges. It's not meant to be a target gun, it's not meant to be a plinking gun, it's not meant to be collectible or pretty or something you can't wait to show everyone at the range and feel superior because you own it, it's a gun that has the dirty job of putting bullets into somebody who is a threat to your life or liberty.

When using proper .22 Mag ammo meant for handguns, it is regarded as being as sufficient for self defnese as .38 is, but with less recoil. My issue with .22 Mag has been the consistent inconsistency of the ammunition to not have a failure to fire for one range session. Actually, now that I remember it, the first time I ever shot .22 Mag I had a FTF on the very first round. Talk about foreshadowing...

This Standard Manufacturing revolver is unique in the 2 shots per trigger pull and what I like about that is if there were to come a time where it had to be used defensively, even if one of the rounds didn't go off, the other one would with a near 100% probability. To me that makes up for the .22 Mag's lack of reliability.

The fact is that this gun is meant for people who are not experienced with guns and solely want something for protection. Something with low recoil, cheap ammo, and not full of safeties is a good choice.

If you don't want one, don't get one, but don't project your opinions onto others telling them what is a good idea or a bad idea for them. It's this exact type of gun snobbery that gets all of us painted as a bunch of gun toting buttholes.
Old January 11, 2020, 09:52 PM   #31
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Shooting Illustrated reported, "the ATF does make an exception for "volley guns" and allows the manufacture and sale of firearms that fire more than one round with each pull of the trigger, provided that those rounds are fired from separate barrels."
Thanks. That makes even more sense than my speculation about using two fingers.
Regardless what anybody thinks of the Thunderstruck it is good to see people finding loopholes in the unconstitutional restrictions put on firearms by government bureaucrats!
Old January 11, 2020, 10:21 PM   #32
TXAZ

23 lbs, we all probably know a few people who probably couldn't generate that much force to the trigger while remaining on-target.

I'm with the no-trigger guard / not interested crowd.

My guess is this will be the subject in several years when one of these is dropped and fires incidentally with serious injury / death as a result as there was no guard.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 11, 2020, 11:48 PM   #33
Cheapshooter

Quote:
23 lbs, we all probably know a few people who probably couldn't generate that much force to the trigger while remaining on-target.

I'm with the no-trigger guard / not interested crowd.

My guess is this will be the subject in several years when one of these is dropped and fires incidentally with serious injury / death as a result as there was no guard.
First, in no way is the Thunderstruck intended as a bullseye target gun. The model number 333 is in reference to the notion that most SD uses of a firearm are within 3 feet, with 3 rounds fired in 3 seconds. The 23 Lbs is quite stiff, but with using two fingers as designed it feels like a lot less. The two finger pull is a must, and as someone who has shot a Thunderstruck, not all that hard to keep on target.
That 23 Lb trigger along with a blade style trigger safety is what makes the Thunderstruck both cary, and drop safe.
If, and it's a big if, the gun would be dropped muzzle first, on some type of thin structure or object, that could possibly activate the trigger blade, it's still extremely unlikely the weight of the gun could exert enough force to fully depress the double trigger, and keep the safety blade depressed enough to fire.
Using a free fall energy calculator a 1 1/2 lb object dropped from 5 feet creates 7.5 ft lb of energy. Or in other words less than half the force needed to fully depress the trigger while it lands perfectly on the trigger safety blade, and maintains that perfect alignment long enough for full trigger travel.
Just can't happen!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; January 12, 2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old January 12, 2020, 01:12 AM   #34
labnoti

The 23 pound trigger is twice as heavy as a double-action trigger that most people would regard as "heavy." Most people, if considering an 11-pound double-action trigger, are led to believe it will materially interfere with their ability to place shots on target and that they are better off with a 5 or 6 pound striker-action trigger which in their experience, "they shoot better."

A 23-pound trigger quite likely would be a strong deterrent against unintentional discharges. Since the rest of the "Thunderstruck" is rather "polarizing," perhaps more practically it calls to question whether a 5 or 6 pound trigger is really important for a defensive, personal-protection firearm. Maybe 11 pounds is a good thing, even if it doesn't flatter us with tight little groups on the bullseye.
Old January 12, 2020, 04:13 AM   #35
gb_in_ga

No trigger guard? Not interested. Basically, the only really viable role for it is as a snake gun. And then there is the 23 lb trigger pull. Nope. A cheapo .38 snub with snake shot is a better platform for snakes, and then you have 5 shots vs 4.
Old January 12, 2020, 06:04 AM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Again! Because you are pulling essentially two triggers, operating two seperate firing pins to fire two rounds.
Is a double barrel shotgun with two triggers that can be pulled at the same time a machinegun?
I kept thinking that it's got one trigger with a dingus in the middle, rather than 2 triggers. I guess not?
Old January 12, 2020, 06:06 AM   #37
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnoti View Post

It's not altogether different than a double-barrel shotgun or a derringer that fires both barrels. There are other volley guns like the nock-gun, duckfoot pistol, and organ guns, although most of those have only been produced prior to cartridges.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense.
Old January 12, 2020, 02:22 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Regardless what anybody thinks of the Thunderstruck it is good to see people finding loopholes in the unconstitutional restrictions put on firearms by government bureaucrats!
I would point out that one man's "loophole" is another man's "OBEYING THE LAW".

Quote:
Ok, this is the answer why it can be made. The ATF allows the exception. That is their legal interpretation, their "in house" regulations of what is, (and how) and is not covered under the law. What is important to understand is that the ATF can change their regulations and enforcement while the language used in the LAW remains unchanged.

Quote:
I think that was the delay, and ultimate redesign of their original province stol, the Volley Fire. It had a single trigger which fired two rounds with a single pull.
My speculation is that because even though the two trigger sections are in one piece, it is nearly impossible to fire the Thunderstruck without pulling on both trigger sections. Making it two pulls, all be it simultaneously, to fire two rounds.
I don't have the internals to look at, so I can't be certain, but from the pictures it LOOKS like a single trigger with the second "trigger" being a "safety" on the trigger, somewhat like the one on the Glock, a mechanical release that must be activated in order for the trigger to be pulled and not connected with the actual firing mechanism.

IF this is the case, then then gun only has one trigger (connected to the rest of the firing mechanism, and separate barrels puts in the ATF's "volley fire" exception group.

If this is not the case, and that little "second trigger" can actually fire the gun, no matter how difficult it is to operate, then the gun has 2 triggers, and does not fall under the "more than one shot from a single trigger" rule.

I applaud the ingenuity of the concept, but I don't care for the execution of the design.